Drain/Change Fuel Filter - Racor 110A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have a 1996 Hunter 280 with the metal Racor 110A primary filter. It is located in a place that maybe has 1-1.5" clearance under it. I've never replaced the filter after 3 years of ownership so do not have any experience with this and I really would like to do that this summer. In thinking through the process; I realized I do not know how the bowl comes off. Is there a bolt that runs from the bottom through the bowl to a fitting in the head? If so, how far does the bolt need to come down to remove the bowl?

PS, I've read some archived posts that describe the process in general but not sure how much room I'll actually need under the filter. Worst case is I'll have to unbolt it from the stringer to raise the whole thing up to do the work . . . and everything has to be done from above since it located in a 'tunnel' that runs fore/aft under the rear sleeping area from the engine to the rear bulkhead . . . ugh

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Clark:

You best bet is to replace that filter with something like a 120 or larger. The Racor 110 is not a water seperator.

I replaced my 110 with a dual 120 system that actually allows me to switch between one filter or the other. I did this just in case of an issue with the fuel.

The 120 is a little less expensive than some of the larger filters, but the elements are more expensive (go figure).

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Clark
The bolt comes off the top as I recall not that this will help as you still will need sufficient clearance below the filter to remove the bowl housing and filter.

If you don't have room, it may be a lot easier to just remove the whole assembly from the bulkhead making sure the lines are plugged and the tank shut off for obvious reasons. It's easy to bleed once you are done with the side screw.

If you are a virgin at this, run the engine a good 10 min afterward to make sure you won't be "surprised" later when you need the engine.

Steve is correct about the limitation of this filter. On our boat, it follows the primary fuel/water separator as a redundant unit, otherwise, it would have gone in the parts bin years ago.

Dec 2, 1999
Here are close-ups of the 110. I think you need to drop it from the bottom.

I think you should consider relocating it for furture ease of access.

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
The whole body of the filter unscrews. Problem is that the nut at the bottom is made of the same soft alloy as the body and that the rubber ring seal at the top seems to bond the body to the top of the filter. Add to this that the screws securing the filter to the boat are quite close together so if one puts sufficient torque on the nut to break the seal it usually rips the mounting screws out of the woodwork.
Mine was so unsatisfactory that I changed the entire filter unit for a spin on type commonly used for diesel trucks here in the UK. Mine is now a CAV Lucas.

I would suggest you making a similar change for a common US type.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
There is a 16mm nut cast into the bottom of the filter bowl. The bowl is hard to remove and I usually have to give the wrench a few taps with a hammer to get it started. I have tried putting lubrication or anti-seize on the threads of the center rod but it does not seem to help. Put a few Pampers around the catch the fuel and keep it out of your bilge.
The rubber gasket under the rim of the filter body has to be removed with a pick or strong needle and with care not to scratch the surfaces. You have to check that the new gasket is not twisted when installed as the filter will leak if the surface of the gasket is not flat. The pleated filter itself has a small O-ring gasket that snaps onto the bottom of the filter and then the filter snaps into the bottom of the filter bowl.
There is a small bleed screw with a 10mm head on the top of the filter body. If you have a gravity fed fuel system, you can fill the filter with fuel and purge it for air with this screw.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Outstanding information guys, thanks a bunch! based on your input I think I'll attempt the job leaving things as they are.

I'll also investigate relocating/replacing the filter but the only other place I see to put it is behind removeable panel(s) that acts as the aft bulkhead of the sleeping quarters. I've been back there before but is a serious pain to get to - those of you who are familiar w/ the 280 know that the fuel and holding tanks are behind that wall w/ the rudder shaft right in the middle.

Thanks Again!

Clark

Dec 2, 1999
Clark: It would be a good idea to consider putting a better filter in there for the future. The only water that you will capture is what is currently in the bowl. The rest of the water will find its way to the engine.

Another option for relocation is putting it in the engine compartment. I know that you are not suppose to locate them there, but it seems that many diesels have them there.

PS: When I replaced my 110 filter for the first time, I was amazed that the engine was still running. I will be interested in hearing what you find.

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
I have the Racir 110a on my boat and it is also a water seperator, though probably not as good as the larger model others have reccomended. Link to descrption indicating it is does seperate water from fuel: http://www.thedieselstore.com/template/productOutput.php?partNum=RAC110A&VehNum=

I drain maybe an ounce out of the housing once or twice a year and never get a drop of water out of the secondary filter on the engine. Use a rubber strap filter wrench to remove the bowl, after you drain it. Then no worries about breaking off the bolt or slopping diesel all over the place. I just changed my filter and the bowl does have to come pretty much straight down at least the length of the filter to clear, so 1.5" may not be enough room without removing itfrom the mount. Mine does take a lot of leverage to unscrew with the large Craftsman strap wrench, but is thru-bolted to a bulkhead in front of the engine. Note it is rated for 15gpm, plenty for a small diesel engine. Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 1999
Steve: I stand corrected. My Yanmar parts dealer indicated that they were NOT water seperators.

I ended up putting dual 120 units on my HV'36. It is setup to switch from one filter to the other while underway.

Oct 6, 2009
Newport Newport 28 MKII Jacksonville, FL
Steve, you have a much better set up with the dual filters than I do with the 110a. If I was offshore much, I would do the same. It takes about 4 hours to get to the Atlantic up the St. Johns river from where I keep my boat and time is an issue for me. Fortunately, the river is very long and about 3 miles wide at my marina. We get our big boat fix with annual 2 week BVI bareboat charters.

Status
Not open for further replies.