Door latch to aft cab

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
The door handle latch lock broke to aft cabin. The handle does not spring back into place or secure closure. The replacement part is very expensive. Can it be repaired?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Pictures would really help.

dj

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Who makes the latch, Big Red?
And, yes, a picture could help.

You say the "lock broke" and "handle does not spring back into place or secure closure". Is there a "lock" button that is messing things up -- or is it the spring that extends the hasp -- or???

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
Thank you for the responses. I left the boat a few days a
go (without pictures) but here's a copy of the latch and handle set from the catalog. The door latch does lock from inside the aft cabin. To open, you press down on the handle then it springs back into the pictured position. That is no longer occurring. It droops and does not return to the position pictured. I'm rather familiar with the installation, replacement or repair of residential closet; exterior or interior doors but did not know if boat hardware is similarly designed. thought I'd post with the forum before disassembling the unit. I hope that clarifies the issue. A new set runs $170.00 + shipping. I'm hoping for a more reasonable repair option.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It droops and does not return to the position pictured.
Door latch very similar to ours, but without a lock. An owner from a sister boat had a similar problem, so he took his apart and fabricated a broken latch spring that seemed to do the job for him. Ours still work, but if one were to break, I would likely make my own replacement. Someday, whenever that happens, I'll let you know the outcome. Until then...:beer:

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
Thanks. I did try to find the manufacturer's name on the plate but it was very difficult to read. I want to say it was DEMMA??? Not Delta. Very odd looking characters, perhaps made overseas. Good to know the spring can be fabricated. It seems like it is a broken spring.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Big Red, It looks from the Hunter Marlow OEM site like there might be two different types: If you have the "top" one, there's only one left in stock (but it's listed at $114, I'm not sure if that taxes and shipping included).

upload_2018-6-17_18-46-5.png

upload_2018-6-17_18-47-46.png

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
Thanks for the research. We do not have the "top" one; we have the bottom one of the two pictures.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
It depends upon how handy you are, but if you are pretty handy, then you can build your own spring to replace the broken spring. I often buy the base material here (no commercial interest, only a satisfied customer):

https://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-tempered-stainless-steel/=1dbwonb

On the inside of an interior door latch, any of the alloys on this page would work fine.

Of course if you value your time, it's probably better to just buy the replacement latch...

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

dj

p.s. If your door latch spring happens to be a standard type, you may actually find a pre-made stainless spring also on McMaster or elsewhere. It's just never been my luck...