Don't see that happen every day

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Why in the world did the keel bolts not extend through the frames? Is there a reason for this or is it just poor boat building?
Actually, I think you will find very few fiberglass boats with keelbolts through the frames (floors). I believe the reason being that the floors are usually hollow fiberglass C-sections and are unable to support the compression load. My old Pearson 32, a very stout boat, had keelbolts through the bottom of the sump only, not though the substantial floors in the sump area.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom J;

The attachment for your wing keel is stout. I know the designer and of course Frank Butler who demanded the boat be built the right way. As a dealer for Catalina as well, I had one of the earliest Catalina 310 which had a minor problem as it listed slightly to one side and the addition of lead ballast to the hull corrected that which Mr. Butler and Gerry Douglas were able to come up with a fix in a professional manor
I spoke to Frank Butler once, too. I thought it was great that he answered his own phone. It is funny that you mentioned the listing Catalina. Both mine and the C320 next to me listed a bit to port. I put 150 lbs. of lead under the starboard settee to correct the list.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I sold a lot of sailboats in my time but also worked on them. Is your hull over 20? @Tom J
My hull is #231, Dave. Most owners of the zero series Catalinas I talked to said the slight list to port is evident in their boats. I can understand why my boat would list, since the batteries, the holding tank, and the cockpit lazerette (loaded with tools, anchors, chains, etc.) are all on the port side.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The reason for the hull number and you are good to go, the first 20 from the factory had a short compression post causing issues with rigging and the slider closing and opening badly. I had an early one and Catalina came up with a fix. Frank called the customer who was aware and it would be resolved quickly. I held up delivery for two weeks which my customer appreciated doing that to make sure all was ship shape. Spacers were added to the compression post which not only solved the issues but actually better than later models. It was great that the mfg. came to the rescue

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Frank Butler was a good man! Our local Catalina dealer, since retired and closed up, was always very complementary of FB and noted that FB answered the phone at the factory! The good ole days.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Frank might object to your comment that he "was" a good man, unless something has happened to him recently.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Frank might object to your comment that he "was" a good man, unless something has happened to him recently.
Well, I was thinking, he is (was) retired. But, apparently he is still active in the company.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks for that bio, I was amazed to realize that I have sailed so many of Butler’s boats. He’s like the Forrest Gump of the average joe sailboat builder - was there at every turn.