Don't Be Like Jerry

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Did Jerry ever find the source of his electrical problem?
He was convinced that it was the neighboring powerboat. That is until his bilge pump failed and his repair guy found some broken insulation on a 12-volt wire. New pump, problem solved. But the damage was done and prop was lost in the Bay somewhere.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just had mine checked and zincs changed. I had a "drop zinc" connected since I could not get a diver to change them since November.

My new diver said he recommends a "drop zinc" connected while at berth.

You just never know who will pull into the marina with stray currents.

What do you recommend?
Jim...

Feb 26, 2011
I just had mine checked and zincs changed. I had a "drop zinc" connected since I could not get a diver to change them since November.

My new diver said he recommends a "drop zinc" connected while at berth.

You just never know who will pull into the marina with stray currents.

What do you recommend?
Jim...
I recommend you find a reliable diver.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I just found one.
He has 35 years experience and his sole income.
Helps raise sunken vessels from shallow waters too.
He has a Sea Do with two side mounted tanks and equipment. Partners with US Tow, to fix water craft within what we call the barrier islands.
He just did my complete hull checkout, cleaning, and after discussions, recommended NOT to do the 5 year bottom painting due this year.
He knows his stuff.
____
On another post that you made a while back, you asked about bubbles seen by you on a bronze prop.
I responded, that I suspected it was temporary "Hydrogen bubbles" that might be occurring as the galvanic "shift" from low Zinc protection to the newly applied full Zinc.
Well..
I asked my new diver if he had ever seen those bubbles.
He said no. [just for your info]
Jim...

Feb 26, 2011
Who is your diver? Does he have a company name? I'd like to invite him to join a Facebook group for hull divers I admin.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
He was convinced that it was the neighboring powerboat..
In every case of severe corrosion I have yet to see an owner not blame it on someone else or the marina. The vast majority of the time the source is their own boat...

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
In every case of severe corrosion I have yet to see an owner not blame it on someone else or the marina. The vast majority of the time the source is their own boat...
Affirmative and correct on the West Coast too. The geographical proximity aside -- the neighbor can hurt you alright but the rate usually won't be near the rate as if it came from your own DC system. He (she, they) just cannot muster the current density necessary to torch your metals at such a high rate. And - if you have galvanic isolation you can be certain you are the problem.

So if you see sudden onset of anodes disappearing quickly (or the wheel falls off) - check your own boat first.

Charles

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I have to agree with the diver; most of the time check your boat first, but then look around. In a previous marina, Escape was fine with two shaft zincs and a tailcone. half way thru the next season we hauled Escape to investigate a shaft/prop vibration and found all three zincs were mostly gone; couldn't find anything on Escape, so replaced the zincs and added a drop fish for the rest of the summer. Started fresh the next season, dove on her to check midway thru and they were fine, also looked like new at haulout. Then I realized the boat in the next slip hadn't returned for that year. Haven't had any issues since. In fact, since moving from a marina slip to a mooring, the tailcone and shaft zincs last more than two years.