Donations to Neptune:

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
I couldn't possibly compile a list; there are way too many contributions over the last 5 decades. However, the remarkable ones like watches, expensive sun glasses, and keys are the ones I kick my own arse for, and hopefully do not repeat too often. For me the most disheartening one is a good waterproof light that is on, dropped at night. You watch it sink and know that it will sit on the bottom, a forlorn beacon begging for retrieval, for days and more importantly nights, until the batteries fail. So sad.
I get this, just watching the light disappear into the depths is mesmerizing!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
watching the light disappear into the depths is mesmerizing!!
Yes. I can here the murmur. "Oh wow... look at the light. It's floating to the bottom. Cool man."
Reminds me of the 70's. "Oh wow... look at the pretty colors. Cool man."

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
I am a diver and have recovered many outboards, prescription glasses, wallets, anchors and such, but my two favourites on my part are an outboard that went into the chuck running. I watched it drive itself out of sight in 200 feet of water and all I could wonder was, how long the air in the bonnet would allow the engine to continue running. The other one was more successful. I dropped my brass centred wooden ships wheel over the side in Prince Rupert Harbour (37 degrees F). I loved that wheel but I did not want to join it in the water. I thought it would have the decency to just sink quickly out of site but it started weaving back and forth like a leaf floating on windless air. So slowly did it sink that I had all the time in world to think about how cold that water was going to be as I stripped down to skivvies and jumped in to recover it.
BobV

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Yes. I can here the murmur. "Oh wow... look at the light. It's floating to the bottom. Cool man."
Reminds me of the 70's. "Oh wow... look at the pretty colors. Cool man."
I usually reserve that stuff for phosphorescence dripping off the oars on a night row around the harbour. :wink:

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
For me the most disheartening one is a good waterproof light that is on, dropped at night. You watch it sink and know that it will sit on the bottom, a forlorn beacon begging for retrieval, for days and more importantly nights, until the batteries fail. So sad.
Reminds me of a story: Two watermen ( read Liars ) were sitting in a pub telling tall tales. The first one bragged of a 350lb salmon that he had recently caught.
Waterman #2 says, " that's nothing; I was deep bottom fishing the other day and snagged and pulled up an old lantern that had a date stamp of 1872."
Waterman #1 says, " that's no big deal....there's all kinds of junk down there.
Waterman #2 replies, " yeah but, the lantern was still lit!"
Waterman#1 thinks about this for a few moments then says, " I'll take 200lbs off of my salmon if you'll take the light out of your lantern......"
Dennis

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
My worst was a lobster while we were in the Bahamas. I had stuck it with a knife between the eyes and was throwing it on the grill. Before I could slam the lid down it did several tail flaps jumping off the grill, hitting the deck, then into the water. With a boat hook I was able to snag it several times bringing it near the surface only to lose it again. I was ready to jump in when several large fish circled around it. I watched it until sundown lying on the bottom and by the next morning it had been picked apart.

All U Get

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Reminds me of a story: Two watermen ( read Liars ) were sitting in a pub telling tall tales. The first one bragged of a 350lb salmon that he had recently caught.
Waterman #2 says, " that's nothing; I was deep bottom fishing the other day and snagged and pulled up an old lantern that had a date stamp of 1872."
Waterman #1 says, " that's no big deal....there's all kinds of junk down there.
Waterman #2 replies, " yeah but, the lantern was still lit!"
Waterman#1 thinks about this for a few moments then says, " I'll take 200lbs off of my salmon if you'll take the light out of your lantern......"
Dennis
Come on now; a 350 pound salmon!!

Oct 22, 2014
Boomer. You still using the 12lb fly line when your fishing?

Oct 22, 2014
Loyalist... You need a good rod (flexible), a bit of skill, and good water to work. It helps to have plenty of time, a good working reel brake, and fresh muscles to play the fish for the required hour or so. Best if you are on a boat and can follow the runners and you can not keep enough line on most reels. They call it sport fishing so only fair to give the fish a sporting chance eh...