Donations to Neptune:

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I think he already has one. Tragedy just the same.

All U Get
I have four hat clips/keepers. Never lost a single one of them, and not a single clip is on the boat. They're in a back pack I rarely use. Some times you just can't remember everything (or anything for that matter)!

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
This is just one of many but the one that sticks in mind the most. A few years back my husband was helping with a project on the mast- he was much taller than me. However he was walking challenged using crutches and asked me to hold one crutch which I did...for a few minutes until I let it tumble into the water at the dock. Well, he was a good swimmer so he dove in to retrieve. He spent about 30 minutes trying to find but the bottom was too silky and no visibility. So we "limped" home and he did not let me forget it telling all his friends.
About a year or more later I was on the boat at the same dock and happened to look down and I saw something shining in the water. I got my boat hook, extended it as far as it would go and even laid on my belly to reach as far as I could. After a few swipes at it I finally got it to float and pulled it in. It was his crutch, encrusted with growth and barnacles! I rinsed it off and tossed in my car, took it home, told him he could not blame me no more because I found his crutch and then presented it to him. What are the odds of that! We both had a good laugh.

Nov 30, 2015
What are the odds of that! We both had a good laugh.
Well...it's been stated in this thread, that sometimes, the appeased Neptune returns our stuff. I apparently have a lot of appeasing to do. Congratulations on the recovery.

Nov 30, 2015
I hit Like but I'm not really happy for you. *cry*
Yeah Kermie, I'm going up to Belfast in two weeks to help my buddy close his camp. Searsport is just 15 minutes away...there will be a new HM hat coming home. No tears! Just new coveting!

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Two days ago, cleaning my engines raw water strainer cup and mesh on the dock with a garden hose, (Sherwood original), the o-ring in the cup decided to go for a swim. No spares, and none to be found locally. I have three new ones showing up via express post Friday.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I sacrificed an oarlock a couple months ago. Thankfully the little marina chandlery had some in stock. Since they come in pairs, we now have a spare.

Last week, my son donated his retainer; he'll be helping pay for the replacement...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Wifey was catching a dockline when her sunglasses slipped from her bodice into the drink. She immediately lay down on the dock to grab them, but to no avail.
Upon rising off the dock, she realized just how much of that dock was covered in bird-poop.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Wifey was catching a dockline when her sunglasses slipped from her bodice into the drink. She immediately lay down on the dock to grab them, but to no avail.
Upon rising off the dock, she realized just how much of that dock was covered in bird-poop.
Please don't tell your wife I hit the Like button. I couldn't help it.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Sounds like everyone is having an active sailing season and therefore Neptune is still getting his due. Seriously, I wish we had video of some of these stories!
Dennis

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If you were taking video ... then your phone would be joining the list! I don't know why water is that attractive to stuff. I handle my phone and keys all day long on land, yet ten seconds after boarding a boat they'll climb out of my pocket and jump. I have a firm rule that the absolute first thing I do once opening the main hatch is put the pocket stuff in the nav station desk. I don't care if I step down into standing water to get to that nav station, it's the first thing that happens. I ain't walkin' home!

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
Lost a gas regulator in about 15 feet of murkey water. Wife said forget it, it's gone. This would have been my second $40.00 regulator so over the side I went. I had no diving mask with me so I figures I would search in a pattern along the bottom and hope I got lucky. My hand immediately snagged a rubber strap like object. When I got to the surface I realized I had picked up a pair of swimmer's goggles which I immediately cleaned up and put on. Two dives later, I recovered my regulator. The best part was proving the wife wrong!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I couldn't possibly compile a list; there are way too many contributions over the last 5 decades. However, the remarkable ones like watches, expensive sun glasses, and keys are the ones I kick my own arse for, and hopefully do not repeat too often. For me the most disheartening one is a good waterproof light that is on, dropped at night. You watch it sink and know that it will sit on the bottom, a forlorn beacon begging for retrieval, for days and more importantly nights, until the batteries fail. So sad.

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
Lots of stuff:
3 cell phones (2 less than one month old)
1 danforth anchor
1 prescription sun glasses
2 winch handles
1 bbq grill
and the largest, a window air conditioner. When removing from boat, caught leg in jib sheet. Over the life line, one bounce off the dock and into 28 feet of water. Didn't even touch the neighbors boat that was only 2 feet from the edge of the dock.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Lots of stuff:
3 cell phones (2 less than one month old)
1 danforth anchor
1 prescription sun glasses
2 winch handles
1 bbq grill
and the largest, a window air conditioner. When removing from boat, caught leg in jib sheet. Over the life line, one bounce off the dock and into 28 feet of water. Didn't even touch the neighbors boat that was only 2 feet from the edge of the dock.
I do believe we have a winner!
The image of a window a/c going over is priceless! It must have made a big splash!