Donations to Neptune:

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
A 9.5 from the North Korean judge? Really?? Hmmmm.......Dennis Rodman must've been there to lighten him up!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
All of the usual stuff, hats, glasses, a phone, shirt, etc.
But 2 notable ones...

The day I took possession of my first boat (Hunter 280), my son was going to help top off the fuel. Still not sure who pulled the fuel cap off (son or the fuel guy), but the chain was broken, and when someone let it go, off into the drink it went. No spare at the dock store. Broker finally "stole" one from another Hunter he was selling so I could get underway.

Then on my O'Day 322, was removing the Tac Tic wind sensor. My other son was winching me up the stick. Time to come down, wind instrament in hand, and my son dropped me (what felt like ) 2 feet. Of course, I dropped the wind instrament and she "floated" into the drink a foot from the boat. Tried to fish it out with a net, but just stirred up the muck. My son asks if I have a swim suit and a mask on board...I said yes, but the water is 50 degrees. Long story short, he dove in, took 4 tries, but he came up with the Tac Tic. I took him out for a nice steak dinner (and that was before I realized how much a replacement unit would have cost.

Greg

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
As a teenager I'll always remember my mothers wedding ring going over board on a cool fall day of sailing. Her fingers shrunk up a little bit in the cold and off it went. Just caught a glimpse of it being washed over the rail...anyone within 10 nautical miles would have heard her screams.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Oh crap... I gotta confess! ... 35 pound Kensington Plow anchor... it rolled off the foredeck, hung up on a spring line while I grabbed hopelessly for it, and then it plunged into 12 ft of water. I pulled it out to attach it to the shackle. I snorkeled for it 2 hours later, and it was gone! I think it went into several feet of mud. I plan to swim for it. This time, I will probe the mud for it to locate it.

Thank you for this cathartic moment. i am purified.

Update: I found the anchor! I followed a hunch and found it in the slip across from mine! It glided about 10 ft forward and settled on top of the mud! I could see it clearly in the late afternoon, low angle sun!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Well, maybe I'll win the prize for having the most recent donation....

Yesterday I sailed from San Pedro to the Isthmus, Catalina Island (and yes, KG, I nailed it on one tack! :biggrin:). I arrived just off the Isthmus at around 4 pm and from there I dropped the sails and powered straight up wind to Emerald Bay. The entire trip involved a fair amount of pounding in a short chop.

Anyway, after I was settled on the mooring I thought I'd fire up the BBQ for a much anticipated dinner. I discovered that the regulator, propane bottle, and venturi tube that I had stupidly left attached to the BBQ were gone! Normally I remove these and stow them below (honest!), but on my last trip I got lazy and did not. I have no idea at what point the pounding caused the venturi tube to unscrew from the bottom of the kettle, but it certainly did!

I moved around this morning to Cat Harbor on the backside, which is where I am as I type this. So I'm pan frying all my meals.

Definitely not one of my finer moments! At least the sail was stellar! :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It's possible. Neptune will occasionally return an item from the deep. I was able to retrieve my extension cord today. I dropped my anchor several times close to where the cord fell in. Oddly enough I got it pretty much exactly where it sank. Who knew!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... I discovered that the regulator, propane bottle, and venturi tube that I had stupidly left attached to the BBQ were gone!
This happened to me on a rough leg from Newport to Stonington. Went to fire up the grill and ... no. Well not the propane bottle but the rest of it - yes.

Aug 3, 2012
Donated a Magma regulator last week! Tethered the new one on this week.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
The Admiral splashed a three condiment serving tray off the dock two weekends ago. It was one her favorite decorative acquisitions. By the time the screams for the boat hook were answered, the little lovely dish disappeared beneath the surface into 10' of questionable marina water and silt. I now own an extendable pool skimmer basket and will be shopping for trophies off the dock this Saturday. Can't wait...:banghead:

Aug 3, 2012
The Admiral splashed a three condiment serving tray off the dock two weekends ago. It was one her favorite decorative acquisitions. By the time the screams for the boat hook were answered, the little lovely dish disappeared beneath the surface into 10' of questionable marina water and silt. I now own an extendable pool skimmer basket and will be shopping for trophies off the dock this Saturday. Can't wait...:banghead:
Darned Treman Marina water is definitely sketchy!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Neptune will occasionally return an item from the deep.
:plus: but there is a beer drinking ritual and you can double up with a Poseidon toast. It works.
Proof...
My Brother is a Naval Academy Grad and was very proud of his Ring. We dinghy'd over to a sandy beach cove with family for a picnic. He dove into the water and came up missing his Academy Ring.
We all dove and frantically searched, feeling the sandy bottom.
No Luck after 30+ minutes.
So we returned to beer and toasting Neptune's luck.

Next morning, I was swimming and walking along the shore and...
Stepped on HIS Ring in about 3 feet of water.
I froze, keeping my foot pressed down until aids came and dove down and grabbed it from under my foot.

Hail Neptune's generosity! and toast a few beers.
Jim...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
:plus: but there is a beer drinking ritual and you can double up with a Poseidon toast. It works.
Next morning, I was swimming and walking along the shore and...
Stepped on HIS Ring in about 3 feet of water.
I froze, keeping my foot pressed down until aids came and dove down and grabbed it from under my foot.

Jim...
Whoa, maybe I'm living wrong but you can call an aide to do your bidding? Where do I get one of those?

All U Get

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
More hats than I can count, a winch handle or two, oh, yeah. An entire boat during Hurricane Gloria. Although Neptune did throw the boat back -- onto a stone causeway.
When my kids were maybe 10 and 8 we were climbing into the dinghy and two valuable possessions plopped into the water, a plastic action figure and my daughter's $400 prescription sunglasses. My son was already in the dinghy. He watched both items hit the water, paused for a split second and saved the stupid action figure as the sunglasses slipped out of sight.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Just this weekend, a fourth, highly coveted baseball cap from Hamilton Marine in Searsport, ME.

IMG_1467.JPG