Does this look okay?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
It is really not a repair, it is a band aid and should be reworked with better materials and construction. I would not glass this over until a repair is made.

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
what's the best way to fix? The top deck outside was reglassed. So probably more repairs inside whatever that might be.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would check the bottom of the post (and whatever it sits on) to ensure its integrity first, and then replace the piece of plywood at the top, making sure that the deck is now leak-free (after the reglass efforts already made). You need to make sure she is not leaking or you will have the same problems again and again. You can size the plywood thickness to ensure the cabin top is correctly braced (not sagging).

It looks like the PO used a piece of mast for the support. Make sure it is sitting on something solid. Many issues are caused by water infiltration to the mast step or compression post step.

Greg

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Thanks Greg. I assumed that mast piece inside was original. But I wondered why it had pulleys. Doesn't seem to leak anymore but I'll check again. Don't want to do too much, already thinking bigger.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That is basically the original setup for a 1984-85 DS II or 1985-89 DS III, although whether the mast section is the original or a replacement, don't know..... the blocks (pulleys) might have been used for some previous owner's modified CB control line setup, but who knows? The plywood at the top is NOT stock, must be a previous owner repair and obviously the plywood wa not properly sealed first.
Deck under the bottom of that mast section should have a section of plastic pipe bearing held In place by a piece of plywood glassed to the underside of the cuddy floor (based on how the DS II prior to 1984 was constructed, that is before the mast was changed to truly deck-stepped with the hinge permanently mounted to the top of the cuddy instead of the original setup of being stepped through the cuddy top with the mast step mounted to the cuddy floor. Standard for 1971-81 with option of hinge cut into mast about 1" above cuddy top, that hinge setup became standard for 1982-83.

Here is a picture of a 1984 DS II showing stock setup.

Attachments

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
That plywood looks dry rotted. Remove it, and replace it with some G10 board.