Does anyone here sail Biloxi?

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
Hello to all,
I am going on orders to Gulf Port, MS. to the Seabee Base this summer and they have allowed me to drive my POV due to it being a 90+ day school, so I plan to drag Lemon Drop with me and sail the Biloxi Mississippi Bay and Barrier Islands. If there is anyone here that sails that area I would much appreciate all the help about the area's sailing info.

Thanks
Mike

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
a fine place to sail ! Cat and Ship are fun to go to and explore, as is Horn.. none too far from Biloxi.. For some pretty water sailing, you can drive to Pensacola and put in there at the Naval Station.. Big Lagoon, Dog Island and Ft. Mcree, immediately west of the base are excellent sailing in a 22 and lots of places to explore. If in the heat of summer, late July, August and until mid September, it can get really hot and have numerous thunderstorms/squalls.. You are in for a treat !
https://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/mississippi.htm

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
We were at Keesler for a while and kept our boat in the marina at Long Beach.
The Gulfport marina is really great now as well. Either one gives you great access to Ship and Cat Islands.
One thing to keep in mind is the afternoon thunderstorm roll through and you do not want to be half way back from the island when they do.

Dec 21, 2016
That is all great news to hear. I plan on using Keesler AFB as the dip in location, last time I was there I really liked the fact of leaving my POV in a safe location. What do either of you use for charts? I read that its pretty skinny waters around the Islands or is it perfect for a swing keel? I am really excited to sail and what better time than to have uncle sam foot the bill for a bucket list sail.

GO NAVY!
Mike

Jun 2, 2004
It is a long way from Keesler to the islands. I never worried about my car in Long Beach or at Gulfport.

Might be worth painting the bottom and leaving the boat in a slip then you could go out for just a couple of hours in the evening.

Depth is not really an issue around the islands if you pay attention you can see the bottom and if you start dragging the centerboard just lift it and head for deeper water.

Study the charts on line and get one of the chart programs on your phone you'll want charts 11372 and maybe 11374

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I'd call Bayou Grande Marina on NAS Pensacola and see if they have a dry storage space you can rent for 1 month of the 3 you're down there. I think the rate is $40 for the month. You can leave the C22 rigged on the trailer and launch without having to worry about overhead lines. I had my Hunter 23.5 there for several years and you are literally in the water 20 minutes after pulling into the parking lot. The only thing is that its a shallow former seaplane ramp. It's about a 2 hour drive from Biloxi, and some of the prettiest water on the Gulf coast. With the swing keel there are several places you can just pull right up on the beach and walk off the bow. Ditto on online charts and check out activecaptain.com (free) for good info on particular spots (and they have online noaa chart access as well.)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2016
Gentlemen thank you for all of the tips and advice, especially on the bottom paint totally skipped my mind. The ideal of slip or storage with quick dip access is a great idea. Thanks for chart reference. I should have off 3 days a week for exploring considering military schools are only half days at best on Fridays. I can’t wait. I should my new sails before I go also. Thanks again
GO NAVY!
Mike

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mike, to get a feel for the place, go to "intellicast.com" then click on "interactive weather map" on the top, click on "layers" then click on "Nautical charts" Zoom in and you can see depths, channels, locations, etc..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I believe it is the safest and fun sailing areas of the Gulf. Go to the Yacht Clubs, you don't have to join. Hang out at Marinas, meet people, race in regattas.
July 4th, view of 50 miles of Coastal Fireworks displays. To add to kloudie1 link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Barrier_islands_of_Mississippi

These islands are sudden foul weather shelters, great over night anchorage, raft ups, area for friendly porpoise families and even great fishing off your boat.

You can even adventure south to the ....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandeleur_Islands

Or East to Alabama and Florida.

Your Sailing Adventures Begins...
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Oh I forgot, Summer time North/South prevailing winds, or beam reach cruising along the coast line.
Jim...

Dec 21, 2016
Are there any strong currents or tides to contend with around the Islands or in the bays? I appreciate everyone's help with local knowledge it has have been such a help and my made my work planing a lot smoother. I have always seen the sailing clubs and wondered if they are free to get in or not. I go to Gulf Port, MS. pretty often for Navy Seabee related training's, but this is the first time I get to drive a POV so I am excited to be able to haul the boat with me. Trailering doesn't bother me as my tool box has 2 new tires & hubs on the trailer, the 2 existing hub's have new bearings and I am taking both existing tires for spares.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
any strong currents or tides to contend with around the Islands
Yes!
Example...
When there is a mid-Tide event, there is strong current between Horn and Ship - Ship and Cat islands.
As that current is expanding after passing through and it creates a strong current along the shore line of Ship and Horn, not so much Cat from it's shape.
That current keeps an ≈20' deep channel clean.
Anchorage/Swimming in that channel is not recommended at those times.:eek:
100 yds from shore is 10':) and 15 yds from shore is 0- 8':).
That deep channel is in-between:eek:.
Low or high tide = no big current.:)

Also when there are sustained 15+ knot N/S winds, the Island channels have amplified waves, since the Islands block the wave action. That happen only in passing through those channels. Not life threatening, but a pretty good ride for you and Lemon Drop.;)
Jim...

Jun 2, 2004
Ship Island was cut in two by Camille hense the Camille cut. but was not really navigable between the two by most boats. Is the cut now deep enough that it can be?

There was an excellent place to camp out on East Ship due south of the Biloxi light house. There was at one time a quarantine station at that location. It was right at the edge of where the trees started (I am sure they are gone now) and a half to three quarters of a mile of just beach about 150' across between the Mississippi Sound and the Gulf. West Ship you can anchor off of but have to be off the island at sunset. There are (were) facilities and showers along the boardwalk from the pier to the beach on the Gulf side. I have not been back since Katrina.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is the cut now deep enough that it can be?
Not by most crafts, but they are planning to fill the cut, since they found that those islands were good barriers for the coast, after Katrina.
off the island at sunset
I dont know of that rule, but I suspect that was for the Excursion Boat passengers. There is a Park ranger 24/7. I do know NO overnight camping on West Ship but East Ship is ok.
Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Mike,
If you want detailed information about the Mississippi barrier islands, pickup a copy of Scott William's book, "Exploring Coastal Mississippi." Its available from Amazon in soft cover or kindle editions. The book was published in 2004; therefore, the landscape has somewhat changed because of Katrina and time, but remains pertinent. Williams is both a sea kayaker and sailor, he writes about each island based on his personal research and experiences. I don't think that there are any other publications (on the market) that come close to the detail that he presents. There are no maps, charts, or diagrams in the book; however, he does reference the charts that are appropriate for each island. Well worth the read and will give you a "lay of the land" before you get to the coast. Again just be aware, that there are new marinas as well as major modifications to all marinas post Katrina. You are going to have to pick and choose the areas that you want to sail because there's way too much territory to cover between the Mississippi coast and Florida pan handle on weekends over a 90 day period.
Rick's suggestion to bottom paint and keep your boat in a marina is a great idea. Most of the marina's on the Mississippi coast would be $200 per month or less for your boat and you might possibly get a military discount. As Kloudie & JO mentioned, definitely take the boat to NAS Pensacola and explore Pensacola Bay, Santa Rosa Sound, Big Lagoon, etc. The Florida / Alabama coast is a beautiful area to sail with lots of anchorages. NAS Pensacola is only 2 and 1/2 hours via I-10; easy trip and worth the ride. Have Fun and GO Navy!!

Feb 26, 2007
- - Long Beach
Call the Long Beach Yacht Club and see about a membership (I think it is really cheap if you don't live here). I think you could leave your boat rigged in their yard and launch from Long Beach Harbor, quick & easy. I'm not a member, so I don't have specifics. I keep a boat on pier 5 in Long Beach and a guy on our pier is a member of the yacht club but haven't seen him lately to get you better info .