Does anyone have experience painting over non-skid?

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
IMG_0104.JPG
My Nordic 40 has TBS non-slip decking that is still intact, but is getting quite thin. I am considering buying new TBS from the builder and installing it myself next year, but have heard it's a PITA project (especially removing the old material).

While googling my options I stumbled across a couple instances where folks painted the TBS non skid with Interlux Interdeck or similar. Has anyone here done this? If I could extend the life by a few years it would make life easier.

The TBS has a slightly rubbery texture to it. I was skeptical about painting but someone said their's is good after a couple seasons. I might try a couple small areas this summer and see how it works.

Here's a pic. My wife cleaned the winter mildew off today, so it looks a little better than the pic.

Thanks,
Max

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I have removed that stuff and it's a horrible job. I also have a partial roll in light gray, if you want it I'll send you a sample cut and pictures/measurements before you commit.
As for painting vs. removing? If it's not coming up -- PAINT!!! I'm not sure what to recommend, but there are lots of durable and flexible outdoor-rated floor paints available. I'd go to Sherwin Williams and choose a latex porch floor paint with nonskid properties. S-W tests paints more than any other maker and has the best QC. (A friend is in the pigment business and told me that -- he said it takes more than 5 years of accelerated extreme-weather testing before they will even consider adopting an ingredient).

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Thanks for the offer Larry - I'm in Holland so can't take you up on the sample. But I will check out paints over here (including Interdeck) and plan to paint a panel or two this spring and see how they last the summer.

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
Interdeck works but it is a softer paint than the two part paints so it will wear more quickly. Another product that you might want to consider is Kiwigrip.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Given that the material you are painting is flexible; I think you should look for a latex base or something else that's designed for flex and outdoor foot traffic. Hard paints might be too brittle if formulated for a hard surface. Yacht paints might not be a good choice -- that's why I suggested outdoor porch floor paint above. (Will be much cheaper too if it's not labeled "marine").

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Good points, Larry. Epifanes is a big brand over here, and a dealer told me their deck NonSkid is flexible with excellent adhesion. I might go with that, since I could also get it in the States when we return in a couple years. Will also check paint stores here, see what they say. Thanks again,

Aug 30, 2009
Oday 19 Trailerable
Another product that you might want to consider is Kiwigrip.
I'd second thinking KiwiGrip. I've used it, it's tenacious, durable, flexible. When I say tenacious, I've gotten a tiny bit of it on a painted surface and it sticks very well.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We tried Interdeck when our 2-part poly deck paint started to wear after about 10 years. Interdeck is fairly easy to apply, in that it doesn't need carefully measured mixing and doesn't require filtered masks when you're using it. It looks relatively good when new. It does not last anywhere near as long as the 2-part paints do. We've had chipping in numerous spots after just two seasons. I am getting ready to remove the sections I put Interdeck on and re-paint our deck now with 2-part poly, which should last another 10 or so years. While waiting, however, I am looking into 3M Safety-Walk tape, some of which comes in rolls 4' x 60' and which the Coast Guard uses on their new cutters' steel decking. It resembles the material you have on your deck now. I wonder how butted seams would work for larger sections, and would probably still have to paint the portions like the cabin trunk and waterways that would not be covered. Everything on a boat is a compromise.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Ditto what Todd D and Paul said. I used Interdeck on one of our boats and found that it needed attention each season. It is a soft paint with almost the same finish as some of the new chalkboard paints you can get at the home centers. We found that it worked well as a nonskid but high foot traffic would go through it pretty quickly. It does look really nice when freshly painted though.