Does anyone 3D print?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am a camera buff. Specifically older Nikon manual cameras. More specifically Nikon F and Nikon F2 cameras. I have four of them: 2x Nikon F and 2x Nikon F2. Getting parts for them are either very expensive or near impossible. So I look for other means to get some parts.

Enter 3D printing.

I have heard so much about 3D printing but just brushed it off as a fad. Now I come to realize that there is great potential for creating your very one parts that are either hard to get or pricey. But there is a drawback to just going out and getting a printer: knowledge!

The part that I need for my cameras are called viewfinder protective caps. They go for as high as $60 for a piece of plastic measuring 44mm x 35mm x 9mm. Of the 4 view finders I have I only have one cap. But I have measured that cap and using a CAD program reproduced the cap. But I don't have a 3D printer.

So, after all that, do you 3D print? And if you do, what printer do you use? Which one would you, as having more experience than me, recommend that I start with? If, and a big if, I decided to go that route. My other option is making molds and molding the part myself.

What say you?

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks, Kermie, I practically live on KEH. LOL

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have one comming via kick starter. Doing the 3D isn’t all that easy with warpage and shrinkage for fine parts like cameras. I currently have a 3D router and have done some projects with it. Waiting for
a house move and setting up my new shop.

Mahalo

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
These are caps so I am not too worried about shrinkage. If it is apparent that it is happening, I can just adjust the drawings to account for that. However, I did not think that far ahead so thanks for that bit of information.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’d be happy to print it for you once my printer gets here. There are places that will print your designs on the net.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My 3D printer is called a pocket knife and clear grained pine. How about a cap made from pine? They're pretty when finished and gives your camera a real nautical feel.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My 3D printer is called a pocket knife and clear grained pine. How about a cap made from pine? They're pretty when finished and gives your camera a real nautical feel.

- Will (Dragonfly)
And I bet Will can even burn a cool compass rose on it.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If you would like to post the drawing, I might be able to come up with another manufacturing process that would also be appropriate.