Dodger Grab Bars

Jun 13, 2016
Hunter 38 Mystic, CT
I want to add grab bars to the sides of my dodger. Have seen on other Hunter models and want to know if available for a 2006 H38.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have them on my 29.5. There is nothing special like a kit you buy they can be easily fabricated. I would think if you were unable to make them yourself, any shop that fabricates biminis and dodgers could make one for you. Don't know how I would get on and off my boat without them.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Any dodger bow can be fitted for grab bars. It's not something that is specific to any brand or model boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have them on my new boat I don't know how we lived without them until now.

They are what look like pretty standard stainless steel grab rails, with threaded mounting studs; holes are drilled through the dodger rails, and reinforcement patches sewn or glued to the dodger fabric. Fender washers and nuts and acorn nuts go on the inside of the dodger.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
I want to add grab bars to the sides of my dodger. Have seen on other Hunter models and want to know if available for a 2006 H38.
We had grab rails added to our existing frame while it was being re-canvased. As mentioned above, it's a great addition. Our shop recommended and installed something similar to what's shown below. Ours are the sliding version, but there's a split configuration too. No drilling is required but your canvas may need to be altered depending on where you place them. They are very secure, low profile and easy to disassemble when we remove the frame for the off season.

Regardless of what rails you add, you may want to reinforce your frame depending on it's original design and your expectations on how solid the structure should be. Many dodgers use a simple webbing strap to secure the aft dodger bow to the cockpit coaming. If you feel it's needed, replacing this with a SS strut will add rigidity (we didn't feel it necessary and have no complaints after 2 seasons).

http://www.sailrite.com/Grab-Rail-Kit-1-Stainless-Steel-Tubing

http://www.sailrite.com/Grab-Rail-Kit-1-Stainless-Steel-Tubing-W-Split-Side-Mounts

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Made sure when going over the dodger design with canvas guy (North Sails Canvas) that we would get grab bars on the side for going forward and a grab bar all the way on the back side of the dodger to use if the connector was not in place. Sure you could go to an installer and get nice rounded end grab bars that you could install, just thru bolting, although the bar on the back is welded in place for extra strength.
Makes life easier and safer.
Jeff

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have the system added Berner 73 is showing and it is do yourself system that I added
and will be going to my boat soon and maybe take some pictures.
Yes you will need to take your time where they will go before you need to make small
cute in canvas as would be needed with ant handles.
Unless you want to spend $$$ for a custom job this is the lees $$ and I have had them on many years and love them.
Look Marinedepot for the stainless needed and you need goog support with good support from your frame and with dodger canvas all on need to be as strong as possible.
Nick

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Most dodger hardware is just screwed into the deck. If you now want a handhold I would consider upgrading that hardware installation to include bolts and backing plates.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Most dodger hardware is just screwed into the deck. If you now want a handhold I would consider upgrading that hardware installation to include bolts and backing plates.
That's an excellent point. My C36 had through-bolted dodger attachments. Not sure about the Tartan, as the nice, molded overhead hides all of that. I will check!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes they just use screws into the deck but like me I had to use a marine 2 part mix into the screw holes to reseal and make stronger holding and could not use any backing plates.
No access to add backing plates.
Nick