DockSliders Emergency Tx...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Probably a good decision, @shemandr . One reason I avoid long-distance races is not liking to be in close quarters with too many people. Most of the time it's either my partner and I, or single-handing. Even single-handing gets too close, on occasion, if you know what I mean!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Maybe I reached a point where living like an animal doesn't appeal to me. Personal space was going to be an issue. And, I didn't want to sit there and listen to the crew bitch about being slow because there are too many crew. The owner invited a lot of guys and they all showed up. It happens. But I don't have to participate.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I feel the same way. We're going to charter a day sail on a catamaran in FL this summer, but I'm not going to fall for one of those standing room only tourist traps.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Best boat shoes I ever owned. Bought 2 pairs 10 years ago. They both are still good and have a great grip on non skid. They are manufactured with discrete pebble like protrusions on the sole rather than flat soles with ribs.

Attachments

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
just reading the outcome and I think it was a fabulous call on your part! As you say, rail meat, working hard, tired, exhausted are all something I will sign up for. But no wind, lots of people and gear, small space, no thanks. Great call!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for that. I'm feeling no regrets other than the boat got a second in the first race. You know if you're not on the boat and they do well ... I'm only half happy for them. Second day the race was cancelled for lack of wind after a lengthy drift pretending to race. Not racked with guilt.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
You know if you're not on the boat and they do well ... I'm only half happy for them.
Ah, you are brave to put that into words, because truth is, I know that feeling well. I think it and immediately have a chat with myself about kindness and wishing good things for all, but I have to admit , it feels best when our presence might have made a difference.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
image.jpeg Got these a couple of years ago on sale for $9 at the Croc Store. No slipping, or marring...if you can stand the snickering.
image.jpeg These are great boat shoes, as well. They just don't dry out very fast when soaked.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I was there for the first time. Friday's sailing was just amazing. Wind around 10 true all day and from a good angle. We did well - 4th in class out of 15. Saturday was disappointing but those things happen. Then a long motor home on Sunday.

Would I do it again? Ask me next year.

Barry

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah it takes about a year to forget the "Disappointments."
The around Block Island race on Saturday is great. It's one of those life affirming experiences. A couple of years ago we had a guy from Flathead Lake in Montana aboard. The skipper was generous enough to give him the helm. We sailed up the SW coast of Block Island with a following sea in a breeze and got the boat surfing down the waves. We had fun enjoying his fun and pulling away in those waves. If anyone didn't enjoy that leg they don't like sailing.