Dock Water Boat Hose Connection

twx

Jan 20, 2013
Beneteau 40cc Clear Lake Shores
My Beneteau 40CC Oceanis has a fitting at the stern that appears to be a female water hose connection. Anybody have any yes/no experiences using this for fresh water in the boat instead of using the onboard water tank supply while docked?
Thanks,
Tom

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes --- Convenient, doesn't require refilling boat tanks, reduces use of onboard pump, "fresh" city water

Gee, what's NOT to like???

No --- MUST, Must, Must, must turn off water at dock pedestal WHENEVER leaving the boat, even to go up to the head on the dfock or visit as friend. If you don't understand whenever & must, this is NOT for you. It requires discipline. The ONE time you do NOT do this...
Boats have been known to sink from failed pressure reducing water inlets (which is what it is BTW); doesn't move water in onboard tanks.

Your boat, your choice. :)

I've had boats since 1983 and have been boating since 1955. I wouldn't touch one of those things with a ten foot pole. If I'm too lazy to fill up my water tanks, I need a new hobby.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
First thing I thought about is how would your neighbors feel about you hogging the dockside water faucet? Most marinas I’ve been to share the faucet.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Amen to Stu's comment !!! I've have 2 dock neighbors whose boat sank, filled with ''clean'' water because of that. My boat was set-up with it when I bought it in 2000 and I since the inlet was in the anchor well, I quickly rearranged the pipes to use them for deckwash. I removed the tee to the fresh water onboard system, and installed it on the seawater line going to the sink. Installed a deck wash pump and I now have seawater going to the galley sink and to the deckwash hose in the anchor well. Pipes never new better and not only did I feel safer, but I gained a clean deck and anchor well when hoisting anchor !

Attachments

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
To please the Admiral I use dockside water for showers,washing dishes and the boat. I finally put a big sign that I hang on the lifeline next to the docksteps " TURN OFF WATER"

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The average cost of a boat is substantially less than the average cost of the content of a home yet people who routinely never shut off the water supply when they leave the house are paranoid about the boat. I don't get it...

We ran the dock supply outboard next to the lifeline gate and have a ball valve on the inlet so its simple to remember to shut it off when leaving as we have to make a concerted effort to avoid tripping on the hose. As they say, "idiot-proof".

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I have shorewater on the boat. When leaving the boat I open the faucet of the kitchen. After that I close the shore water on the jetty. Double security. If an idiot opens my shorewater on the jetty there will be no pressure buidup as the kitchen faucet is open and incoming water is going down the sink to the sea.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Well let's hope so. Dock water pressure is too high for a boat, you need a pressure regulator, so added expense.
Absolutely correct! Guess I should have mentioned the valve I installed on our current and previous boat both had integral pressure reducers. As I recall, they cost less than $20.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You can also get a timer-like valve to limit the volume of water that goes through the hose then shuts it off. Daisy chain 2 if you're the belt and suspenders type. Just reset them every once in a while. Maybe a good compromise between convenience and safety.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First thing I thought about is how would your neighbors feel about you hogging the dockside water faucet? Most marinas I’ve been to share the faucet.
I guess you've never been to Home Depot (or any other hardware store) and seen the Y valves for spigots? When I use dockside water I put one on the pedestal and also one at the boat/hose connection so I have a second hose for outside.
Second the pressure reducer.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I have shorewater on the boat. When leaving the boat I open the faucet of the kitchen. After that I close the shore water on the jetty. Double security. If an idiot opens my shorewater on the jetty there will be no pressure buidup as the kitchen faucet is open and incoming water is going down the sink to the sea.
Just hope your thru hull doesn't fail.
I guess you've never been to Home Depot (or any other hardware store) and seen the Y valves for spigots? When I use dockside water I put one on the pedestal and also one at the boat/hose connection so I have a second hose for outside.
Second the pressure reducer.
Yes that was my second thought after posting my first.

twx

Jan 20, 2013
Beneteau 40cc Clear Lake Shores
Thanks to all. I have a slip with a dedicated water supply and all other contributions are gladly considered.
Ton