Do you shop wearables online?

Discussion in 'Sails Call Lounge' started by Justin_NSA, Nov 2, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,653 posts, 1,202 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS

2. Terry Cox

Terry Cox

Joined Dec 25, 2000
    3,772 posts, 551 likes
    Hunter Passage 42
    US Shelter Bay, WA
    Much of our boat stuff, such as clothes, flatware, cookware, dishes, etc. came from either a thrift store or a garage sale (tag sale for east coast folks).

3. Sailm8

Sailm8

Joined Feb 21, 2008
    1,606 posts, 264 likes
    Hunter 29.5
    US Punta Gorda
    I buy everything I can online, usually Amazon Prime so returns are easy.

Dave Groshong likes this.
  4. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    5,653 posts, 1,202 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I tried just ordering a tank top on Prime in my regular size and it didn't fit. Another size up would have fit like a dress. Frustrating.

JRacer likes this.
  5. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    924 posts, 326 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Well, if YOU are wearing a dress, don't come knocking on my boat! :laugh:

Dave Groshong, Justin_NSA and Kermit like this.
  6. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    765 posts, 334 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    I've had success buying some loser-fitting things on the web, if they have a decent return policy. Foulies, t-shirts, swimsuits, and hats seem to be loose or adjustable enough that I've not had a problem. As a side note, I bought my HL foulies that way, and they are a prized possession. I'm not brave enough to buy really fitted stuff, like shoes, on-line as a minor difference would cause problems.

FastOlson likes this.
  7. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,335 posts, 4,159 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    It is unlike @Parsons to be raising the big L
    [​IMG]
    regarding his clothing...

Me thinks he wanted to say "loose fitting" and was a victim of an uncontrolled spell checker.

Parsons, Dave Groshong and Justin_NSA like this.
  8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,335 posts, 4,159 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    I'm a :plus:on finding loose fitting gear and making online purchases. The line gets drawn at form fitting gear. (not in my usual need it category)
    But what really bugs me is Costco changing the way they make their jeans. The sizes have changed. Now I have to have the legs shortened as they no longer had the odd length size. 31 to 32 is the difference between a fit and walking on the pant leg with my heel... :banghead:

Rick D likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM

Joined Jul 24, 2005
    1,666 posts, 214 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Manistee, MI
    The only places I have ever dared to purchase clothes on line have been Lands End and LL Bean. I have found that the quality has always been good, and I guess I fall into a category that the fit is good.

Most of the time, I would much rather go into a good bricks and mortar store to see the quality, and that the clothes fit. I haven’t bought a suit since I retired, and that was so long ago that the retailer I used has gone out of business.

jssailem likes this.
  10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    9,335 posts, 4,159 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    Congrats @DougM on having enjoyed a long retirement from the suits.....:biggrin:

11. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    267 posts, 40 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    Can you really save enough to make that aggravation OK? Why not buy from your chandler who is there when you need something today. I have bought a couple of items on line when I couldn't find them locally and these purchases went well so I understand the allure, but that company you count on needs support or they won't be there when you need to get something fixed right now.

12. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    765 posts, 334 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    I agree with your sentiment, @danstanford that we should support local businesses as they’re here when we need them. They also support local boating activities such as safety and sail training. West Marine in the US is now price matching, and shipping to their stores free, so there’s not even a price excuse. Unfortunately, some of us don’t live near many local shops, or selections are limited.

danstanford likes this.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!