Do you separate the masthead light and the all around light?

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
I am redoing the mast while it is down. They had the masthead light and the all around (anchor light) wired together. I would think they would need two separate switches.

Dan

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes they need separate switches. The Forward facing "masthead" light is on while motoring along with an aft facing white light and the red and green forward lights.

The all around light at the top of the mast is an anchor light. Only lit when anchoring or when trying to confuse those who understand boat lights.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The all around light at the top of the mast is an anchor light. Only lit when anchoring or when trying to confuse those who understand boat lights.
Not totally true.

A 360 all-around light combined with forward red-green sector lights is a perfectly acceptable way to light a sailboat while motoring.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't understand what you mean by masthead light. Normally the masthead light is the anchor light, unless you are referring to the masthead tricolor, which may or may not have an anchor light in it.
The light referred to by DL is the steaming light (only on while under power) and it is normally on the front of the mast about 1/3rd of the way from top to bottom.
Look up the lighting that you must legally have here (https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Navigation-Light-Rules) or elsewhere on the web.
If you do not already have a masthead tricolor, save your money. They are extremely dangerous. From afar they are nothing more than a disembodied light at an unknowable distance, and closer they can't be seen from under a bimini and often fade into the background lights when near civilization.
Go with either a combo bow light or side lights and a stern light.

Jan 24, 2017
The mast head light is 1/3 way down. As shown on your diagram. The all around or Anchor light is on top. I have red and green plus stern lights. On the boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Capta. In the area of civilization the masthead nav lights can be confused but in a sea where the boat disappears from view the masthead may be more visible to a large ship than the deck level nav lights.
The white 360 light (like an anchor light) can be used in lieu of a mast steaming light according to CG Nav Regs.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Capta. In the area of civilization the masthead nav lights can be confused but in a sea where the boat disappears from view the masthead may be more visible to a large ship than the deck level nav lights.
The white 360 light (like an anchor light) can be used in lieu of a mast steaming light according to CG Nav Regs.
I was standing on the bridge of a ship when I first encountered a masthead tricolor. It appeared as a disembodied colored (I don't remember whether red or green) light far off ahead. As I walked from the bridge wing to the radar to check it out, I saw the light pass by the open bridge wing door out of the corner of my eye! I raced back to the bridge wing and watched as a sailboat slid down my ship's side, not 15 feet away.
I am telling you, not giving an opinion, the masthead tricolor is nothing more than a disembodied colored light at an unidentifiable distance from a ship's bridge. Remember they are 50 feet or more (sometimes much more) above the water and the perspective is nothing like a surface sailor sees.
Standard bow/stern light configurations show some light on the water from that height and even the sails a bit. This gives depth to what a watch stander sees. Say he sees a green light at the bow with white light shining on the water astern showing him a boat of around 50' long, not just a green light waving about out there somewhere ahead.
They are very, very dangerous. If you want a real, safe, masthead configuration, then the vertical red/green configuration is the only way to go. I don't care what's legal, I care what's safe for my vessel and crew.

Nov 8, 2010
First, we should stop referring to a light by function. An 'anchor' light is a 360 degree white light. It can be used an an anchor light, or as part of the presentation of a boat making way with machinery.

Second, the Bureau Veritas (The French Navy's testing lab) will disagree with Capta regarding the effectiveness of masthead Tri-colors for sailboat lighting. The found that the most important thing was the light was SEEN. You can sort the distance out later. It the open ocean a masthead light is regarded as superior to hull mounted lights.

Except for head on, you only see one light on a sailing boat anyway. They always look 'disembodied'.

And the new generation of LED bulbs are very bight, and are very easy to pick out. And don't get lost in waves or spray.

Jan 11, 2014
Not totally true.

A 360 all-around light combined with forward red-green sector lights is a perfectly acceptable way to light a sailboat while motoring.
Well not exactly. Rule 23:

Rule 23 - Power-driven Vessels Underway

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit (click on icon to see picture:)
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) sidelights: and
(iv) a sternlight.

(b) An air-cushion vessel when operating in non-displacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) , exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light, where it can best be seen.

(c) A WIG craft only when taking off, landing and in flight near the surface shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a), exhibit a high intensity all-round flashing red light.

(d) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

International Inland
(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.

(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centre line of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centre line of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.

(e) A power-driven vessel when operating on the Great Lakes may carry an all-round white light in lieu of the second masthead light and sternlight prescribed in Rule 23(a). The light shall be carried in the position of the second mastheadlight and be visible at the same minimum range.

If used, the all around light needs to be in the abaft position, the masthead would not be in the abaft position on a sailboat.
Here's a link to the official rules: Navigation Rules - Amalgamated See Rules 23 and 25.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I agree with Capta, the colored nav lights on the bow with a white stern light at night helps determin distance far better than the tri-color on the mast head. Can the OP Skipperdan determine if this mast head light is the steaming light? (We have a tri-color but will only use it if the lower nav lights crap out.)

All U Get

Nov 8, 2010
Well not exactly. Rule 23:

Rule 23 - Power-driven Vessels Underway

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit (click on icon to see picture:)
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) sidelights: and
(iv) a sternlight.

(b) An air-cushion vessel when operating in non-displacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) , exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light, where it can best be seen.

(c) A WIG craft only when taking off, landing and in flight near the surface shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a), exhibit a high intensity all-round flashing red light.

(d) (i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

International Inland
(ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.

(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centre line of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centre line of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.

(e) A power-driven vessel when operating on the Great Lakes may carry an all-round white light in lieu of the second masthead light and sternlight prescribed in Rule 23(a). The light shall be carried in the position of the second mastheadlight and be visible at the same minimum range.

If used, the all around light needs to be in the abaft position, the masthead would not be in the abaft position on a sailboat.
Here's a link to the official rules: Navigation Rules - Amalgamated See Rules 23 and 25.
Please. ;^) Any one of these are good for a vessel under 12m, the case I mentioned is number (d) (1) in your list. When I got my ICC certification last month, I have to learn more about this then I ever wanted to know!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
I agree with Capta, the colored nav lights on the bow with a white stern light at night helps determin distance far better than the tri-color on the mast head. Can the OP Skipperdan determine if this mast head light is the steaming light? (We have a tri-color but will only use it if the lower nav lights crap out.)

All U Get
For sure it down to personal opinon, and personal choice. The Lab (which I personal agree with) says that you can SEE and FIND the masthead light better, which is job#1. Then you use your binocs to gauge range and better ID.

Every ocean racer I know users a masthead light for a tri-color. But I can see how people on inland waters (where a close-in collision is a bigger risk) might disagree.

Jan 24, 2017
I have a round 360 white light on top of the mast. I also have a forward to side white light about 12" down from that. I have a white stern light on the hull. I have a red and green light forward on the hull.
The two mast lights were wired together is why I asked. I think they need to be separate, otherwise my anchor light is lit while motoring.

Nov 8, 2010
I have a round 360 white light on top of the mast. I also have a forward to side white light about 12" down from that. I have a white stern light on the hull. I have a red and green light forward on the hull.
The two mast lights were wired together is why I asked. I think they need to be separate, otherwise my anchor light is lit while motoring.
You are 100% correct. Those two lights should NOT be wired together.

But first make sure that that are not just sharing a GROUND wire, which would be very common.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Bow and hull mounted lights loose effectiveness as the sea state increases. I installed a top of mast tricolor this winter. I'll use bow mounted lights if calm seas inshore and switch to top of mad when/if conditions degrade or off shore. I've spent way too much time in my youth hundreds of miles off shore and know if I can be seen earlier (sooner than radar) the better off I am.

If in capta's example the masthead tricolor was only visible in say 1/8 mile before he saw it, one mounted on the bow would be invisible at the same distance because it would be under his line of sight.

Les

Jan 11, 2014
Please. ;^) Any one of these are good for a vessel under 12m, the case I mentioned is number (d) (1) in your list. When I got my ICC certification last month, I have to learn more about this then I ever wanted to know!

Jack, that's just not my reading of the rules. Masthead (225 degrees) forward, stern light aft (135 degrees), see Rule 21 Definitions. Functionally, the two lights form a 360 degree white light, but the rules don't say anything about that. There may be some official interpretation that allows for a single 360 degree light, but I don't see it in the rules. If it is there, please point it out.

Beginning to feel like Gibbs from NCIS, and rule 23 is.....

Nov 8, 2010
Jack, that's just not my reading of the rules. Masthead (225 degrees) forward, stern light aft (135 degrees), see Rule 21 Definitions. Functionally, the two lights form a 360 degree white light, but the rules don't say anything about that. There may be some official interpretation that allows for a single 360 degree light, but I don't see it in the rules. If it is there, please point it out.

Beginning to feel like Gibbs from NCIS, and rule 23 is.....
From your quoted rule: ;^)

Which is top row #3 on that USCG diagram I posted.

Last edited: