Do you have Hunter Passage 42 Hull No. <22?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 42 Shilshole Marina, Seattle, WA
I'm looking for definitive evidence that Hunter Marine started manufacturing Hunter passage 42's earlier than 1990. I own Hull Identification Number (HIN) HUNP0022B090. As described by the regulations (and elsewhere), my HIN indicates I have hull #22, "B0" means my P-42 was manufactured in Feb 1990 and the "90" at the end means it is a 1990 model. Does anyone have an earlier hull number? If so, what is your HIN?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
manufactured in Feb 1990
That is the date the KEEL was laid, and not the manufacturing completed date. Hunter could have laid many Keels and never assembled them for sale in 1990.
My Hunter was mid 1998 but never hit the water until April 15, 1999. The banks think 1998. The boat was in a Maryland showroom until the first owner completed his "Deluxe Sail Away" package assembly at the Dealership in 1999.
But...
We believe "our baby" is only 4 years old.:)
Jim...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Why? Our 1991 model is #40.
I was working to flesh out this article on B&R rigs. You'll note I've listed the P-42 as an example of the 1st generation B&R rig. SailboatData.com says P-42's were first built in 1989. I've seen elsewhere the assertion it was built between 1990-1998. To Jim's point, it might be hard to ascertain when each boat's manufacturing completion date was. However, HIN's seem like a fairly straight-forward way to ascertain when it was started.

Jan 22, 2008
That is the date the KEEL was laid, and not the manufacturing completed date. Hunter could have laid many Keels and never assembled them for sale in 1990.
Mine Hunter was mid 1998 but never hit the water until April 15, 1999. The banks think 1998. The boat was in a Maryland showroom until the first owner completed his "Deluxe Sail Away" package assembly at the Dealership in 1999.
But...
We believe "our baby" is only 4 years old.:)
Jim...
LOL. Yes, my wife also celebrates the recurring anniversary of her 29th birthday too.
The HIN is, at least, one piece of data indicating something about when Hunter was manufacturing P-42's. If keels where laid that never got completely built, that would be interesting as well. Since there is a clear economic incentive not to lay a bunch of keels they didn't complete and sell, I'm going to bet there aren't a lot of those. It'd be interesting to be shown to be incorrect about that.
Does your HIN indicate, then, that Saba is a '98 or '99 model?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Does your HIN indicate, then, that Saba is a '98
Yes the keel was laid in July 1998. So depreciation and bank loans are based on that year.
Evidently it was shipped to a Annapolis Maryland dealership. There, a Philly cosmetic dentist bought her and told them Deluxe. The dealership then installed various "packages" on the boat. I have the original documents.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
incentive not to lay a bunch of keels they didn't complete and sell
In assembly line type manufacturing, they may lay the keels based expected demand, then begin the internals based on real orders.;)
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
By "lay the keel" I assume you all mean that figuratively, is that so? I mean, these things are started, i.e., popped out of a mold, long before the lead keel is bolted on, after all.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That is what the boating industry calls it, "laying the keel" [left over I guess from Wooden Ships]. Of the pictures I saw, long ago, Hunter had this huge warehouse for Fiberglass lay ups. They showed the lower Hull on a ≈30° angle being hand-laid FRP'd, and showed like a group of HULLS in the same fashion.

What was probably happening is they would lay a glass layer, move to the next, HULL, so on and so on....
If it were my operation, I would lay, say 5 of Hunter 42's move them to the yard to cure. Start the weather deck moulds for the 42's.

figuratively, is that so?
Yep, not ready for "Keel Hauling", Yet!!;)
_______
Remember there are structural cross bracing that must be installed as a part of the HULL.
Plus bilge draining holes, Flanges, shaft holes, etc.
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So they multiple cavities for one type of boat? That's impressive volume for a sail boat.