Do you have Fishing stories?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ok Capta, I am curious. Just how do you get your Pearson 530 going 17 knots so you can fish.:yikes:

If I got my boat going 17 knots for sure fishing would be the last thing on my mind.:confused::puke:
Way back when, I operated a big aluminum boat that was nothing but fuel n engines, for the Naval Surface Weapons Center out of Port Everglades. If I wanted to fish, I had to do it at cruising speed, period. Therefore, 17 knots.
It was one of the most fun and, at times, most dangerous jobs, I've ever had. Best part was that the USCG could not, under any circumstances, board us or interfere with our operations, in any way. Worst part was retrieving the mothership's 3000# anchors in 40 knots of northerly winds, 18 miles off Lauderdale (1800 feet of water), using my 65' alloy boat as an anchor ring buoy. Scary work, that!
anchor_ring_illustration.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And they say there is a World of Opportunity in the US Navy...
Had a dock mate that used to work in Florida. Said he worked in submarine weapons recovery... Picked up test shots in a boat of similar size to your 65 footer. Said is was a great job.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sorry, but no fishing or crabbing here. Gear on board for guests who want to, but skipper to busy trimming. Now oyster shucking is a different story. Skipper makes time to enjoy slurping raw oysters when the occasion presents itself. Yum!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
keep a popeil pocket fisherman on the boat and fresh worms in the ice box. always something to catch on the lakes.

Oct 22, 2014
And if there are no fish there is always "chilled worm sandwich". Think of it as a lake side McDonalds happy meal....

Oct 22, 2014
Thinwater... Is that a Chesapeake Stipper? Man they were good eating when I caught them back in the early 70's

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I'm not a fisherman but I believe it's a striped bass,we call 'em rockfish.

Oct 22, 2014
Several years ago read about the 'Striper Wars'. They were on the way to extinction along the East Coast. Took a coordinated effort to save them.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
They imported stripers to Frisco Bay in the late 50's or early 60's. They did really well and were a great source of food n fun for us fishermen in the early 60's, but were strictly a sport fish, unavailable in the markets. Light spinning tackle and a Creek Chub Pikie Minnow could put your limit (3 fish) in the cooler in 4 or 5 casts.
I wonder if they are still about?

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Is a ling cod, what we call in the gulf of Mexico.. LING or Cobia.. great fish , meat very dense/white, almost like lobster, Often caught hanging around shrimp boats. Even in a freezer for months, it turns out almost like fresh.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Is a ling cod, what we call in the gulf of Mexico.. LING or Cobia.. great fish , meat very dense/white, almost like lobster, Often caught hanging around shrimp boats. Even in a freezer for months, it turns out almost like fresh.
No. Cobia is a completely different fish; a warm-water fish that's close to Dorado. Also, it's pelagic; whereas lingcod is a mostly bottom/reef fish that likes cold water.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Actually 5-7 knots is plenty if you are pulling a daisy chain of lures or the small metal pole with many lures hanging off (as many as 32).... as was the case on my Bertram 46

You make up for less speed by creating a bigger disturbance..... Looks like a frenzy of bait fish....

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I can report that the Stripped Bass fishing is pretty good here on Long Island. It has been a coordinated effort with a good dose of controversy. The Striper Wars were between recreational and commercial fisherman - for the information of other readers. It was pretty ugly for a while. Now other fisheries are threatened such as flounder, fluke and cod among others. If you are a tasty critter you are in danger of being fished out of existence.
We have ling in ocean waters here that is a bottom fish. They were considered a by catch while fishing for cod which is a dubious endeavor to begin with. As I remember they didn't look like Ken's fish. Smaller head, kinda like whiskers and grey in color.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
The northern west coast Ling Cod I remember had green meat which kinda distinguished it from other fish.