Do you have Fishing stories?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Have you a good sailboat fishing story?

Unfortunately, I have no great story for this picture except Westport Charters did a great job on Saturday. I'm posting this picture for Jssailem.

A. Couple years ago, my daughter and I had just dropped downrigger balls down when a giant orca whale came clear out of the water and rolled over about 2 boat lengths in front of us. It was one of what must have been 25 whales (2 different pods together in close proximity) I think they were J and K pods near Possession Point. Naturally, after that the salmon seemed to be scarce.

Ken

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Didn't do any fishing for the 20 years I was in Seattle Ken, so I have to ask: what is that, a ling cod?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Didn't do any fishing for the 20 years I was in Seattle Ken, so I have to ask: what is that, a ling cod?
Ling Cod is right. It weighed 26 lbs after it was gutted.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A picture's worth a thousand words. The wife's turning into one hell of a fisherman!
wahoo sm.jpg

Is it still a fish story if it's true?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
While out fishing on my boat in outer open sea south/west of Bodega Bay my friend and I encountered a huge fish. We were bottom fishing and noticed a large fish coming alongside us and rubbing along the hull. It was a 14' Great White shark! That area is a breeding ground for them but have never in all my years of fishing and sailing in that area have I seen one so up close and personal!
If any of you saw the news documentary a few years back of the pack of these sharks killing and feeding on the Grey Whale in Tomales Bay behind Point Reyes; I personally observed the feeding! They indicated that this was the first time these Great Whites had been documented as doing a coordinated attack.
I also caught a 5' Leopard Shark inside Bodega Harbor!
Chief

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Looks like good eating.
I guess this qualifies. On my first bare-boat charter trip to the Gulf Islands we called at Thetis Island and went to the restaurant-pub there in Telegraph Harbor. Fish and Chips was on the menu. It wasn't codfish (as in true cod), so I asked what fish they were using for their F&C. Lingcod! Well, I guess that's close enough for tourists; although lingcod, a greenling, is much nearer in relation (phylogeny) to sculpin; e.g. cabezon. It is a good-eating fish. Very popular in Southern California with the party boaters, as well as with guys using their own boats--not sailboats--for fishing. Another popular "misnomer" served in the Seattle area (and elsewhere) is black cod; also not a codfish. Its official common name is sablefish.:what: Then you have rockcod, also not codfish, that are just about any rockfish caught by hook and line, the specific common name of which the fisherman does not actually know:what::what:, such as a boccaccio or vermillion. It goes on, and on, etc.:snooze::snooze:

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Wow, someone that can catch fish that don't bleed all over the deck. Bonus points for that!
Nope, she catches the fish, cleans the fish AND cleans up after. That's why she gets the big bonus points. All I had ta do was gaff it 'n eat it! I did offer to do the dishes though.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So far only catching small blackfin tuna. I think I need to sail slower or fish deeper. lol
2015-01-18 13.46.57.jpg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
So far only catching small blackfin tuna. I think I need to sail slower or fish deeper. lol
View attachment 137362
Faster, not slower. I've caught many more fish @ 10 knots than 5. Even @ 17 knots I was consistently hooking up, but certainly not landing too many.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Actually, you can catch blackfin tuna--good-sized ones--while sitting still, anchored (in 100 ft) over one of those west Florida shelf patchy outcrops, and bottom fishing. Apparently, they do like to be "deep." Grill 'em right away and they're delicious. After a day or so on ice, or a few days frozen, not so good.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Nice--but clearly not blackfin!! Dorado characteristically start striking at targets moving at 8 to 9 kt near the surface; but, there are no hard-fast rules in fishing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Grill 'em right away and they're delicious. After a day or so on ice, or a few days frozen, not so good.
They are quite good as sushi or sashimi right off the line. We keep powdered wasabi and soy sauce aboard. Once chilled, I like it diced into cubes in a bowl with onion scallions sesame seeds and shredded carrot using rice wine vinegar, ginger, soy dressing. It is also good in Ceviche

Tuna Salad.jpg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
They are quite good as sushi or sashimi right off the line. We keep powdered wasabi and soy sauce aboard. Once chilled, I like it diced into cubes in a bowl with onion scallions sesame seeds and shredded carrot using rice wine vinegar, ginger, soy dressing. It is also good in Ceviche
]
You might want to add a few drops of chili sesame oil to that dipping sauce.
I can't remember a single person, no matter how much the idea of raw fish bothered them, who actually did not enjoy it when it was fresh and properly prepared, at sea.