Do you flush TP?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My frustration is with not knowing how full the tank is so when trying to empty it out at sea without burning up the macerator, I am never sure. Stupid system.
I am going to find some kind of dye to put in it so I can always know.
I'm a bit confused. When pumping overboard, the sound of he macerator will change dramatically when the tank is empty.
But, how will a dye help you know the level in the tank?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not going back to read all the posts, but did you reverse-flush from the deck fitting? Somebody once put 4, 2x2, (StriDex?) pads through the toilet, and they settled onto the pumpout tube- blocking it. Reverse flush blew them away and then pumped out okay.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
There was honestly nothing foreign put into the toilet. This was two experienced boat guys, myself and a friend who know better than to put anything in there over a course of 9 days.
And to clarify my frustration, it's hard to hear the macerator over the engine so I can't say reliably that I could hear a change in sound just by listening. Usually I'm dumping while under way so we're moving at full speed and the engine is running. And I also don't like running high current motors with the engine off.
In Avalon, the harbor patrol boards your boat and puts a dye tab in your head (heavy penalties for sewage accidents), and I like how it clearly leaves a fluorescent trail and I know when to stop the macerator.
I'm going to invent a macerator that doesn't burn itself up.

Jun 2, 2014
Ron, it was overflowing full. A reverse flush would have nowhere to go I feared.
Got to finally pop by alternating the sucking pump. Sort of lifting it off a tiny bit then putting it back in the fitting. I think the on-off sucking finally got something to move.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My frustration is with not knowing how full the tank is so when trying to empty it out at sea without burning up the macerator, I am never sure. Stupid system.
I am going to find some kind of dye to put in it so I can always know.
What do you have against a real tank level indicator? One that lets you know when the tank is 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, then full. They're not expensive and easy to install. These are the best ones: Profile Tank Monitors

Jun 2, 2014
Thanks Peggy. The only thing I have against a tank monitor system is that I don't already have one. It's one of those things that gets put on the low priority list.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234284|2234293&id=3848536
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp...or-pump&path=-1|51|2234284|2234236&id=2661612
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp...or-pump&path=-1|51|2234284|2234236&id=2661612

We replaced our macerators with Raritan macerators, and bought this smart box for each pump. It shuts down the macerator once it has sucked the holding tank dry to prevent burning up the pump. The raritan macerator pump's foot print and electrical demand is identical to the jabsco. It works brilliantly, especially nice when dealing with the aft cabin holding tank as I can't hear much of a difference in pumping when empty with the noise coming from the Yanmar,

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I always macerate under sail for just the reasons given: so I can hear it. If there's no wind at all I macerate while drifting. Never with the motor on as I'd never know when to shut it off. I also generally have a pretty good idea of how full the tank is too (days and people on board). I burnt out 3 macerators when they had to suck a lot to get a prime, 0 since I put it low enough it's already primed.

Jun 2, 2014
Update:
Went on a weekend trip to the island knowing that my macerator may be burnt out after running it so long with nothing coming out of it.
On the way back home, while under sail this time (so I can listen to the macerator) I tried it, and it clearly successfully pumped the tank out and I could hear when it sounded done. So, could it be possible that the rubber impeller is only some-what burnt out but still works, or could it be possible that it didn't burn itself up after running for 5-8 min with nothing going through it? Luck?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Luck, or maybe you have a pump with run-dry protection. Jabsco makes one. I'm very much of the mind that running _after_ pumping is much easier on the pump than pulling a prime when the impeller is dry. All of my failed macerater impellers failed by spinning the inside of the impeller - telling me the impeller was 'glued' to the housing as the crap dried up.

But if it works it works, I definitely wouldn't 'fix' any part of my waste system that's working. It's messy and not the most pleasant thing to work on.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The only thing I have against a tank monitor system is that I don't already have one. It's one of those things that gets put on the low priority list.
Based on Peggy's suggestion, I bought and installed one of those exterior tank monitors from Ferriello (http://ferriellosales.com/). He's the manufacturer of the SCAD and other exterior systems that sell for 20+ % more, so it's just over $150 with all materials included. It was dead simple to install, and comes with cookbook-level instructions. Now I don't guess or thump on the tank to find out how much stuff's in there. It uses micro-watts of juice and only when you push the button for the reading.