Do you flush TP?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't want to even want to THINK of what goes on at the clinic.

People eating great quantities of cheese, white bread, fried foods, and potato chips and then heading off to the clinic's head. All to be carefully measured on the Clog-o-Meter.

Someone, PLEASE :sick:put an end to this discussion.
Maybe MaineSail or Peggy have a Clog-o-Meter, or can recommend one.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Would a pump out boat or do it yourself pump out have a problem pulling a wet wipe or facial tissue?
Pumpout boat can prob'ly handle a stray sheet or two of facial tissue (which, btw, does not dissolve in the tank), but in the unlikely possibility a wet wipe makes it all the way to the tank, it could damage their equipment. Despite the fact that wet wipe makers label the d'd things "flushable," they're doing millions of $$ damage to municipal sewer systems....google "wet wipes clog sewer systems" to see how bad the problem is. The photo shows what they do to macerator pumps.

Bagging TP is left over from the days when marine toilets could flush directly overboard anywhere and macerating toilets didn't exist. Keeping it aboard was out of consideration for others in anchorages who didn't want to see it floating around the boats. It takes today's super soft/super strong TP at least a couple of months to dissolve--if it ever does--in a holding tank, so if your behind is too tender for the quick-dissolve TP, it should be bagged and held if you don't want a clogged tank discharge.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Thanks for the info Peggie!
As for where I personally got the bagging idea from is: A - When chartering in the BVI, that's what they tell you to do, and big warnings about clogs. B - I've heard people talk about how much a PITA dealing with a clog is
So, my conclusion was to just do as the charters do. But I guess quick-dissolve TP is the way to go since that's the only way to be sure.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
IF you have ever had to try to unblock a plugged waste line in 96 degree heat inside the cramped space that you have to work with, you'll agree that making someone us a little "bag" isn't so bad ;^)))

We used to charter our first boat out. On time it returned "crammed-up". The only thing worse than having to deal with it, is to try for two hours to clear it (with a toilet full of stuff that "didn't get out", and then not exceeding. I had to call in a service to take things apart because I didn't have the stomach, time, or nose to keep messing with it. The culprit was some combination of tampons, and packing in "home" toilet paper. I ALWAYS provided high quality marine TP for the charters; and, I admonished them to just use the TP we provided; put nothing else in the toilet that didn't come naturally out of your body.

In parts of the world (including South America) where sanitary lines are smaller, it is not unusual to have the local practice to use a little "bag". Bidets have clothes that are stored in bags (and washed and reused, in some cases).

P.S. -- I haven't had that happen again on our boats over the last over 35 years of sailing. We just use Sealand or West Marine TP and have never had another issue.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
8 years of living aboard, one manual and one electric head. We buy whatever single ply, septic safe TP is available at whatever grocery store we wander into. No precautions on being minimal in usage. Not ONE clog. And, our hose has become somewhat restricted by calcium buildup at times but still no problems.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Ive been flushing for about 50 years now, never had a head clog on TP. Hsd tge vent line clog at tge outlet fitting when the tank overflowed. But that's quick and eaxy to fix. Early on we used the "marine" stuff, but its crazy expensive. Last thirty years or so we've used cheap one ply from the grocery store. Same stuff. Not as nice to use though. If you have to use the stuff with the stupid TV adds, bag it.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I think we're stuck in a temporal loop destined to discuss this forever.
Until someone brings up the best method of making coffee on board......

But of course that loops back to the TP discussion as coffee promotes the use of the head....