Do I need to replace these lights?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm puzzled, since I have had several of that model, older than that, and they never got like that. Weathered, but not bubbled up. I'm suspecting a bad batch of plastic.

But it would have been time anyway. Yes, LED. It's way more economical to reduce consumption than to generate and store more.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm puzzled, since I have had several of that model, older than that, and they never got like that. Weathered, but not bubbled up. I'm suspecting a bad batch of plastic.
That was my thinking, weathered yes, not bubbled up. The bad batch of plastic would explain.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The tri-function anchor light is really a cool product. Now that I have explained to Rich how it works, he shouldn't give you a hard time about it. First he told me "your anchor light doesn't work" then he said I would need to run more wires up the mast for it. Just remember that the anchor light has a photo cell that over-rides the switch if you test it out in daylight. Rich didn't quite believe me that you flip the switch twice to get tri-color, then again to get SOS. He said "is it really that smart?" A little smarter than Rich, I'm guessing. :biggrin:
If you don’t want that (light sensor) function, you have to totally blank it out. I used black Enamel paint. Tape didn’t work well enough. Needed to do it because the white light is part of my 3 color nav display.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If you don’t want that (light sensor) function, you have to totally blank it out. I used black Enamel paint. Tape didn’t work well enough. Needed to do it because the white light is part of my 3 color nav display.
Nice trick. I made note of that on my project list as I like to check my lights before I need them which means I need to check them in the daylight.
Was that MarineBeam's suggestion?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice trick. I made note of that on my project list as I like to check my lights before I need them which means I need to check them in the daylight.
Was that MarineBeam's suggestion?
I didn’t ask them. But we used it in the electronics business to blank out parts. It’s UV and heat resistant, and totally opaque.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
A recently discovered alternative is liquid electrical tape. While it's not for everything, it seems to be more forgiving in outdoor applications than enamel, and it's more pliable if that matters.