DIY Stitching--the Correct Tool for the Job?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Me again. I've decided to take a stab at doing my own canvass stitching:eek:. Small projects at first; later, who knows? Probably going to stitch a fabric like Sunbrella or Sunbrella itself. Been looking over a few sewing machines on craigslist. There are many. Anyone here know which (electric) models, or what features of a model, might best be used for this type of mostly light work? It will be done shoreside, so I don't need one that works while underway.

KG

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You really need a walking foot to get pretty seams. I’ve used a Husquavarna heavy duty (not WF) and it works ok. I lust after an sailrite ultrafeed.

Straight stitch is all that is needed. I have ultra low gear on mine and find it very very useful
Les

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I purchased an OLD Singer that had been part of a school's class. Had it tuned and the tech said it was very HD and perfect for what I was planning. $125 on eBay.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
It all comes down to how deep your pockets are. A heavy duty, walking foot machine would be nice. But I made a mainsail with a Kenmore (circa 1980). It went through up to 10 layers of Dacron. Complained after 8 but it did it. I've sewn tons of Sunbrella, reupholstered the boat with Naugahyde, even sewed outdoor carpeting, all with mama's Kenmore that she got for graduation. A HD machine would have done so with less worry, but for the price, an old machine with metal gizzards will do the trick. If you DO pick one up, a 4-point zigzag is great for sails. Oh, that's the Admiral. I sew well too (not as good as she) but I also am more likely be on the business end of the camera. On a side note, I pulled a line over the fire doors in the longest hallway at my wife's office, slid it through the rolled up sail then over the fire door at the far end. The sail basically hovered over the sewing machine. Yeah . . .I rock.
DSCN2279.JPG
DSCN2279.JPG
CDS HALLWAY - SAIL SUSPENDED.JPG
SAIL 022.JPG

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Going to the www.sailrite.com website will introduce you to a number of instructional vids... mainly you want to get the right thread and needles.... double sided tape.. etc... You can order all that stuff from them.. and they have pretty good instructional book with projects that you might enjoy,

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
This is a subject that comes up fairly often, and opinions vary widely.

I'm in agreement describner with regard to the Kenmore. I have owned and used a walking foot industrial machine, a Sailrite, and I collect sewing machines from the 50's and 60's (primarily Japanese).

I agree that a walking foot is desirable, but depending on the complexity of your Sunbrella project, you can be well served with just about any domestic machine made in the 50's and 60's. But, that doesn't necessarily help a newbie pick the right one from Craigslist.

To simplify the process, I would suggest you look at any Kenmore with a model number prefix of 158. Example: 158.1802. Additionally, make sure it is one of their machines made in Japan, not Taiwan. The Craig's ads usually don't give the model number, as the sellers are usually selling grandma's old machine, and they don't know or care. Or, they might say it's a model 64 because that's what it says on the manual, but the model number on the plate on the machine says 158.160220. So, ask. There are many brands and models that will serve you well, including Singer, Pfaff, etc., but I suggest the Kenmores as they, IMHO, sew as well or better than anything out there, and tend to go for less money. Most of the Kenmores have at least straight stitch and zig-zag, and many have built in cams, or accessory cams that allow you to do decorative stitches. For your Sunbrella projects, all you really need is straight stitch, however zig-zag may come in handy for other projects. Oh, one more thing on Kenmores..the 148 prefix machines from Japan are nice too. Typically have fewer frills, but still very good.

99% of the Craig's machines need servicing immediately. Don't run it until it has been thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. You can do it yourself if you're meticulous. Plenty of info online about the process.

I used a Kenmore to make a mainsail cover for my Catalina 28, as well as a boom tent, front hatch rain canopy, and a case for my chart book. I'm sure you can find someone who has made a dodger with a domestic machine, but I wouldn't do it. The limiting factors with a home machine are the inability to use larger needles which allow for heavier thread, less power, and no walking foot to feed the fabric more effectively.

I like the Sailrite machines, and I like the Sailrite company. Online arguments over wether they're a good machine can be fierce, as they are dismissed by some, and considered overpriced by others who advocate buying very similar low priced machines from other companies (less than half the cost of Sailrite). I would steer you to the Sailrite for a variety of reasons. Emphatically. If you get one and decide you don't like sewing, you will have no problem selling it for a good price. It's ready to use as soon as it arrives, and you have excellent customer service from Sailrite. Check out all the instructional videos they offer for free. We're lucky this company exists, as there is no other like it.

If you get a Kenmore and don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it, but you'll have to go through the cleaning and oiling process, and there is a small risk that there is something wrong with the machine that you can't fix. Expect to pay $75 to $100 for a good Kenmore. If there is someone in your area that sells them in serviced condition, maybe as much as $125, but how do you know if they did a good service? It's not hard, you just have to take your time and be meticulous. It's common enough to find a 158 series Kenmore for $20 to $50 on Craig's, or even free. Some come with tables, but all can be used as a portable on any table top. Typically, the machines that come with a table sell for about the same as the machines without a table.

One last thought. A domestic Kenmore from the 60's to early 70's is a very well made machine. Well designed and engineered, good machining, good motors, well finished, and smooth running. My 158.1802 machine is my "go to" machine and is a joy to use. Made in 1968, and will likely run fine for another fifty years. The Sailrites are more crudely made with rough casting, less attention to detail, noisy, and not as smooth running as a Kenmore. Basically, kind of clunky, but more capable of handling Sunbrella, and have a service life of 50+ years of home use with proper oiling.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I have only been sewing for about 4 years or sew. Last winter, I replaced the sacrificial cover on my jib.
Turned out fine. However, I could have finished in 1/3 the time if dscribner had posted that picture in the hallway a year ago. Great idea!! BTW, I second the endorsement of Sailrite. Great to do business with and super helpful project videos and great people and customer service. I was able to pick up a Sailrite Ultrafeed zigzag machine on Craigslist but they are scarce. My first machine was a 1949 Singer and it worked great, about $100.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Go on sailrite for helpful info and that is what I did when I asked wife to make companion way sunbrella coverwith her Home sewing machine.
It came out better than expected and saved $$$$ and use it every day and will be getting to do some repair stitching of our canvas on my dodger and got all the needed the things from sailrite and helpful info was really helpful and my wife never really does much and had to clean off dust of sewing much.
Nick

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Siamese--thank you for your excellent review of the machines and models. I've already started looking at model numbers on craigslist where some are to be seen in the posted pics.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
We did this a couple years ago. Bought a refurbished Singer on Craigslist. It broke on the very first seam due to heavy sunbrella material. We then found a used Sailrite machine on eBay. It's been great. Heavy duty machine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kenmore (circa 1980)
You need to breakdown and treat that lady to a new machine. She will love it and you. I know as my Admirable is a quilter and was treated to a new Janome this year. I got a life vest... Thought it was more than fair.

Though it is unlikely I will ever see a sail from her new baby.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I use an old hand cranked Singer like this one. No problem getting through several layers of Sunbrella. Stitch lines are not too straight and doesn't do zig zag. I usually do two rows of stitching to make up for that. Nice to have something older than me that still works!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I bought a $100 Montgomery Wards machine back in the last century. It had the preferred metal housing- not the plastic. It would easily sew 6 layers of Sunbrella, like you'd have at the corner of 2 hems. I use the smallest needle that will work with the thread. Now I also have the Sailrite zig-zag, and am making EVERYTHING for the boat and slip neighbors.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I'll 2nd the Sailrite machine. Unless you plan on going into business as a sailmaker it should do pretty much anything you might need.
I had an old Kenmore that dated to 1964, one of the 158.XXXX mentioned above. the all metal guts in it were remarkably similar to the innards of my Sailrite.
I've also got a Singer 29K60 made in 1944. If I run into something the LSZ1 won't handle I can get it doen on the old Singer. It is all cast iron and on a treadle base. It isn't portable.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I picked up an old (I think 1950s) Pfaff from ebay. A little tweeking and it works fine. Has an adjustable zig-zag setting, and a lot of attachments for doing a lot of fancy things. Built like a tank and costs as much as a cheap new car back in the time it was made. I plan on some projects this winter and spring like winch covers and other things I see on the sailrite site. My wife uses a Janome but I don't think it will go through as many layers of canvas or sunbrella as the Pfaff.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Two years or sew ago (got that from LeHighSail) I read a thread by Siamese on a different site on how to pick an older sewing machine to sew boat canvas. I ended up with two Japanese early 60s machines. I made a few small covers, then enlarged a main sail cover to fit a new main sail. They worked pretty well but I thought I could do better with a walking foot machine.
Last Christmas the Admiral bought me the SailRite LSZ1 machine. I love it. I've practiced on it by making window AC and grill covers. Last week I started restitching all the boat canvas that came with my 93 C30. In a week or two I will be replacing the clear vinyl windows on the dodger.

As others said, SailRite.com is great to do business with. They realize that not everyone will have a SailRite machine so they will tell you what needle and thread will work in your home machine for your project.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: for Sailrite. They say you can use a home sewing machine to sew Sunbrella, but I was able to find a used Ultrafeed on craigslist for a lot less money than new. Zig-zag isn't needed generally - the only thing I've sewn or re-stitched that needed it was parts of a sail - most commercial machines are straight-stitch only. Take some fabric of various weights along and do some test stitching to check it out. Machines can be tuned (have the timing re-set) if they are not too beat.
Just don't tell anyone you have it! I'm looking at building a part-time business fabricating canvas because everyone I bump into at the marina needs something done. :biggrin:

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I wish I could find an ultrafeed on craigslist. Around here they're gone in an instant, and fetch close to new prices.

I recovered my interior cushions, made all new cockpit cushions, and restiched my dodger several times - all with a crappy newer singer which I pretty much killed. The act of sewing wasn't pleasant, and involved much foul language. Luckily my mom taught me all the good sewing words. Maybe sewing machines work better when you curse at them. So +1 for some sort of industrial walking foot machine. I should just buy a Sailrite, but I worry that the arm is just too short to sew dodgers and stuff that have a part that needs to be inside the needle.