Dingy Davits on O'Day 272LE?

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I'm sure someone here will call me crazy, but... When I bought my '272LE, it came with a dingy and outboard motor. The dingy is a hard shell model (don't know the brand) and is stored on the deck, strapped-down, upside down. The motor is in the lazarette. My question: has anyone installed a davit system on an O'Day 272LE? If so, what can you tell me about the products you used and how satisfied you are with your solution?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
check out fore spar davits if your boat has a stern rail. you'll have to beef up the transom with backing plates.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I tried storing an inflatable on the forward deck, and wasn't happy. Not enough room to get forward for anchoring or tending to the head sail, and it interfered with the forward hatch air flow. I added a mount on the stern rail, port side for the outboard, and towed the boat if I felt I needed it. If you have the bucks for davits, go for it, but I chose not to on the 272LE.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Many sailors just pull their dinghy on a long painter behind their boat....and their dinghy travels along very
happily....this would be using one of the stern cleats.....keep the painter out of the water though...I found the wisdom of this the hard way when picking up a mooring ball...Good luck! Pat

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
O.K., yes, you are crazy. I mean, I think dinghy davits are marginal on a 36' boat. Unless, of course, yu plan on carrying a spare 272LE on your davits. :)

It's really just not a big enough boat for that, in my opinion.

I tow a 10' RIB with a 15HP on it, and have for 17 years, behind my C36. You could easily tow your dinghy.

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
Thanks for all the guidance! I've decided to abandon the dingy and replace it with a kayak.