Dinghy sailing around Santa Cruz, CA?

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
I may pick up a 12-15ft dinghy on my way down to Santa Cruz, CA this weekend.
Short notice, I know, but I'm not familiar with places to sail there. Is there any water around big enough for a dinghy? ;)
I jest... but not... I see there's a couple of lagoons there, and of course the Monterey Bay.
How is it putting in at the Marina then sailing out past the breakwater? How about around the bay?
I've kayaked down at Monterey years ago, keeping close to shore. My only water experience in that area.
Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wsmac
The simple answer is yes you can. But that is qualified by weather, sea, wind conditions and the condition of the dinghy.
I sailed my 15 ft Montgomery in Monterey Bay also in the ocean of Santa Cruz. The sea and weather conditions were mild to moderate, no fog.
You could also take the dinghy over the hill to San Francisco Bay. Same cautions apply but could be warmer.
PFD and a good paddle in case the wind is a no show.

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Wsmac
The simple answer is yes you can. But that is qualified by weather, sea, wind conditions and the condition of the dinghy.
I sailed my 15 ft Montgomery in Monterey Bay also in the ocean of Santa Cruz. The sea and weather conditions were mild to moderate, no fog.
You could also take the dinghy over the hill to San Francisco Bay. Same cautions apply but could be warmer.
PFD and a good paddle in case the wind is a no show.
Thanks.
I have this afternoon and tomorrow until the early evening to goof off before I watch my daughter sing.
Then she and I will have all day Monday to hang out... thought of introducing her to sailing.
Certainly I'll be checking my usual marine weather info for that area.
Probably go to the Marina Office to check on a public ramp, parking, etc.
Didn't find anything online about the lagoons in Santa Cruz as far as sailing goes, looks like kayaking and SUPs are okay.
Opting not to bring my mtb... no bi-pedal... instead... bipedal... ;)
Hopefully the boat I REALLY want to see on my way down is as nice a boat as the description and pics show.... but then after all my previous searching for larger sailboats, I'm optimistically cautious! hahaha
When I get back home, I should have some boxes waiting for me... boat stuff... so I can finally get my o/b running, finish with hooking up the DC, and possibly get my Hunter out of the slip for a change!
I'll also be back to hull-cleaning... been getting quite a few requests, compressor should be in the afternoon I get back then I'll be set to do boats on a regular basis. Lots of exciting stuff!

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
You got to do it. She'll become a 'marina queen' before your eyes unless you untie the lines.
Yeah... I was told the other day by one of the guys I've been sailing/racing with... "Don't try making it perfect... just get out and sail it!" hahaha
Cleaned up my hull... should be FAST now too! hahaha