Dinghy recommendations

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
What are some thoughts on a dinghy for the 37C? I currently use an 8' fold-a-boat. Our new slip is in a river and rowing against the current and amongst the jetskis is getting old. What kinds of solutions are other owners using? I'm thinking a roll-up dinghy, but want something that can be made ready and launched easily. Thank you.
Jim

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey Jim, I’m a former inflatable boat guy having terrific luck with towing RIB’s in The Carribean behind chartered rentals. The first inflatable I purchased for local lake use was used and blew a seam on it's third voyage. Therefore I quit the love affair with rubber boats. This is what we have currently and it has served our purposes well, including being a stable work platform in the slip to address cleaning the free board, transom, and graphic application. We have a 5 HP Lehr OB for power.

21B56431-5CE2-45AE-821D-042C52F2033A.jpeg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Why not add a small outboard? Even an electric one?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I vote inflatable RIB with tiny outboard. You may also want an electric air pump if you intend to roll it up often. You can tow the inflatable with the outboard on it. If you are in a following sea and the dinghy collides with your boat there will be no damage (unlike with a hard dinghy). Inflatables are deceptively heavy. Be sure you can lift what you purchase. You should get a small, say, 2-1/2 HP outboard or similar that you can lift easily. My inflatable has lasted nine years so far. Buy a name brand and you should not have any major problems.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
RIBs are great if you want to cover distance fast but they are heavy, need higher HP engines, and it sucks stowing them onboard unless you go for davits. A roll up or soft bottom inflatable is easier to get aboard. When going offshore, I store my 9'3" Avon Redcrest on the foredeck under the staysail boom without deflating it. Those Porta-a-Boats are cool - couldn't you keep it and just put a small outboard or a Torqeedo on the back?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What length oars are you using? Longer oars will solve a lot of rowing problems. Short oars are kinda like using your hands to paddle with. A long oar will give you both speed and slow the rate of rowing (strokes /min). Kinda like going to a higher gear on a bike. I have 9' oar for my 8' rigid tender and can go a mile in about 10 minutes.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Oops, I mis-spoke above. I meant a roll up inflatable and not a RIB. Brain cloud passed.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
The biggest drawback, in my mind, to the cutter rig is losing foredeck dinghy storage space. I have a large tube RIB and there is no way it can go on deck and leave the staysail functional. Being lightweight, it does tend to flip when being towed in nasty weather. Only solution I can find is swap out the dinghy for something less useful or install davits. Jim, I am glad the redcrest is working for you. I increased the size of my staysail, thus lowering the boom and unwittingly eliminating the possibility of dinghy storage.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Oops, I mis-spoke above. I meant a roll up inflatable and not a RIB. Brain cloud passed.
We all knew what you meant... Typos and brain freezes are common in forums like this...

As far as hard or inflatable dinghy, I have to admit I'm on the fence with the choice. There seem to be powerful pro's and con's to both.

Unquestionably, the ability to roll up and stow the inflatables is a huge advantage. That way, they don't take up deck space, have to be towed, or sit on davits on the back of the boat. This single advantage seems to loom large on the side of the inflatables.

But the inflatables really only run well under motor. I've never seen one under sail, it would seem almost impossible that they could be sailed. Rowing them frankly sucks, at best, they are mediocre rowing. So the inflatables essentially require an auxiliary motor. That then means the motor, fuel, weight, storage and maintenance of that separate "system".

The inflatables won't sink, unless you perforate flotation tubes. I've always carried patch kits when I've had inflatables. They are a bit of a pain to inflate, I've always had a good foot pump to pump them up.Some of the solid dinghies won't sink either, this one's almost a wash.

Solid dinghies arguably last longer with less of a tendency to require repair as the inflatables. This is a minor difference and one I think would only be a consideration if I were living on-board full time. Solid dinghies row better, can be sailed and can use a motor. I've always preferred the multi-propulsion option, and especially the better ability to be rowed. I've always wanted to try one of the nesting solid dinghies but haven't had the chance yet. Those would take less deck space when stowed, but still require deck space.

Davits in the back are nice if you are coastal cruising or less. Davits let you use either. I've never had a warm fuzzy feeling about keeping whichever dingy you use on them if you are crossing oceans. It just seems to me to be way too much going on on the stern of the boat for blue water cruising. So this is a concern for what small percentage of us?

From my perspective, the answer depends upon the individual and what they like and dislike. Some folk prefer one over the other for numerous reasons. If I was a full time live-aboard, I would have a sold dinghy. For any other situation, the decision is personal preferences. For me, I will not tow a dinghy. So no matter which one I have, I will stow it when sailing. So for how I'm currently sailing, it be comes a question of which one is easier to get on-board and stow, then take back out to use. While for many years I've used an inflatable, I believe my next dinghy will be a solid nesting dinghy.

Just my 2 cents worth...

dj

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
An inflatable will be harder to row. You need a motor for them. If the fold-a-boat is a problem, I think you need a motor. I use a Honda 2hp (only 27lbs), but there are as many opinions on outboard choice as there are on dinghy style. If you want an inflatable, I think the large tube ones will keep you drier. We use a hard dink (8 Livingston) because the Admiral is tired of getting a wet butt. Underway it gets stowed up on edge across the transom of our Hunter. I need to be careful there because if I mount it too low it will scoop water when we heel.

Ken

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Roll up inflatables are good when you need something that will be used infrequently & stored a lot. Be careful how you roll it, because pinched corners cause leaks. They are a bit heavy/bulky to handle rolled up, but it can be done by one strong person. I have used them with a 30# thrust trolling motor & Group 27 battery. With 2 people it would do about 3 knots for about 45 minutes in calm conditions. A 2hp gas motor is plenty unless you have a strong head current or a case of get-there-itis.

Hard bottomed inflatables, with a bit of a V to the hull, will row A LOT better than a flat bottom inflatable. They steer a lot better too. They don't store as easily.

With any inflatable, for use up north, get PVC. For use down south, only get Hypalon. Inflatables are incredibly stable for their size. They have impressive weight capacity for their size.

A battery powered leaf blower is the fastest way to get most of the air into an inflatable, if you can take the check valve out. After that, you still need the foot pump or a an electric boat-inflation pump to get the pressure up to 3psi or whatever other pressure the instructions for your inflatable specify.

Hard shell row boats are your most cost effective option. You can get one brand new from West for about $600. They row OK with good oars. A motor can be added if you want. The cheap ones are usually made out of polyethylene, so patching them after a mishap can be a bit difficult.

Any time you buy a new dingy from a store, BE SURE that they give you the manufacturer's statement of origin. Without that, it will be very hard, if not impossible to register it, when you decide that you want to add a motor.

I currently have small outboards from Evenrude (Tohatsu) & Honda. The Honda has more corrosion issues in salt water. I also don't like the centrifugal clutch in the Honda. It makes slow speed maneuvering difficult. The Lehr propane-powered outboards are kind of nice, as long as you are not in a real cold environment. The Torqueedo self-contained electric outboards are nice, but not cheap. The one that I used had A LOT more unph than the 30# thrust trolling motor that I sometimes use on my roll up & my day-sailor.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is what we have currently and it has served our purposes well, including being a stable work platform in the slip to address cleaning the free board, transom, and graphic application. We have a 5 HP Lehr OB for power.

View attachment 149477
We too are using a hard dinghy. Got it at a yard sale with a 1953 3hp Evinrude for $200
2016-04-11 21.04.27.jpg

That Old Engine runs great, but remains hanging in our garage.
We have a 1976 7 hp Evinrude, but it is a little heavy, and still wont get the boat up on plane.
2016-04-10 14.28.48.jpg

So most of the time we use the 1974 2hp Evinrude, that I have owned since new in 74. it is light weight, easy to get on and of the dink, and pushes it fast enough for around the anchorages we visit.
2016-05-15 19.12.37.jpg

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
As always, the forum has provided options I had not considered and identified issues I had not considered. Thank you.
I think I like the small roll up idea with a small motor. I’m definitely going to do more research.
Jim

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
As always, the forum has provided options I had not considered and identified issues I had not considered. Thank you.
I think I like the small roll up idea with a small motor. I’m definitely going to do more research.
Jim
Guys in my sailing club rave about the 2hp Honda It has many features I wish my old 2hp Evinrude had.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Walker-Bay 8 with a small outboard motor (electric would be best). They also have a daggerboard slot and masthold if you had a rig and wanted to sail it.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
This video was posted here on SBO a while back, but I thought I should share it here as well. The review is a bit immature, being performed by a couple of "Yutes" and at one point very foolish...but this is what led me to decide on the West Marine Water Tender 9.4 and 5HP Lehr OB. This dinghy is also sold as the Sun Dolphin Water Tender 9.4.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
All I can add is I wish I had a smaller motor. I have a small 8' RIB dinghy with a 4 stroke 4 HP Merc and the motor is too heavy for this setup. Half throttle is no different than full throttle, just noisier and uses more fuel. The issue is too much weight at the back of the dinghy....I attached a tube to the throttle and sat in the front, then I got the dinghy up on plane....and it was fast but very unstable, kind of scary actually. I really don't want a larger dinghy and will probably trade for a 2 HP motor one day.
Cheers

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
We have a Saturn PVC inflatable, with an inflatable floor. The inflatable floor is great. We can stand in the boat because the floor is very firm. Having the inflatable floor saves at least 10-15 pound compared to a wooden slat. It's quick and easy to roll up.

The Saturn "KaBoat" is a cross between a kayak and a boat. It's narrow, about 4', which actually makes it easier to roll up and stow. Our 12' Kaboat weighs 45 pounds. It's rated rated to carry 500 pounds, and has only two seats, but we've put three in in calm weather. It really takes only 5 minutes to inflate with the high volume manual pump that came with it, and even less than that to deflate it and roll it up. It about 4' wide and about 2.5' or 3' in diameter when rolled up, so it's very, very easy to stow and store.

The Kaboat has a 4 fins on the bottom for good tracking. We have a 3 hp Torqeedo that we use. We can also paddle it with paddles or a kayak paddle.

It could be towed behind, but we have a trimaran and we easily stow it upside down on the side net. We can walk on the upturned bottom and it doesn't block our access - it's very firm to walk on.

If you want a two-person tender with room for a dog or kid and/or groceries , it's fine. For larger numbers of people, I'd get a bigger one in size (and in weight, of course)

We've had it about a year. So far it's holding up well. The PVC is very sturdy. We can drag it up onto beaches, but carefully. On shell beaches, we get out of the boat before beaching it.

We paid about $600 + $60 shipping in 2017

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've been looking around at different designs for nesting dinghies and came across this one:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/product-p/ks-pollywog-id.htm

Looks like it can be built for a couple hundred dollars depending upon how you decide to finish it. Looks like it wouldn't take me more than a couple weekends to build...

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts/observations/ or possibly direct knowledge of this, or a similar type boat. Since we are talking about dinghies, just thought I'd ask.

dj