Dinghy Davit?

Mar 25, 2017
Catalina MK II Sitka, Alaska
How do you mount your Dinghy ? Do you have a davit ? Do you like it?
If not a dingy, do you have other ideas on lifting dinghy aboard? Ideally, I would like to keep the outboard mounted as it is pretty heavy to deal with otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I never liked davits because I have walk thru transom and did back into the dock but after cruising
so much here in fl. and dock side ways I love the davits and yes keep the motor on always when cruising and in seconds it is in the water ready to go and up at night at anchor and high install so can use the walk thru.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I bought a set of Martec davits and will install them soon. Neither of us has Seadaddler's concern of the walkthru transom. Most manufacturers recommend removing the outboard for long open passages and in rough weather. I understand the concern about getting it. On and off the dinghy. I don't really care for the motor lift davits. They are really a two person job min. I'm leaning more to the swing-lift.com system. I'm sure it will have a much higher wife acceptance factor.

Les

Jun 10, 2004
Catalina c30 Savannah, GA
On my C30 I have St Croix. It holds my infatable dinghy and 2.5 hp motor. If your dinghy is not a hard bottom then you have to keep you inflatable full all the time. As temps change the air condenses and doesn't have the stiffness while hanging on the davits. I had a different boat with the RIB 310 with a 6hp hanging on the davits all the time. Most of them support minimum 400 lbs. good luck

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
We have davits and like them very much. they are also a good place for an out of the way solar panel.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If I didn't have davits I would get rid of the dinghy and use kayaks. The boat is supposed to work for me, not me for the boat. I am NOT adding work.

As for walk-through transoms, use them for boarding the dinghy, but not the boat. Or get rid of the dinghy and use them for boarding kayaks. I'm not paid to haul the dinghy on-deck.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I love my davits. They make using the dingy so easy. Had them on a Catalina 30 I owned years ago too. Yes, when they are deployed I can't use my swim step boarding, but I can live with that.