Dinette modifications in Catalina 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NCNoviceCouple

Why wife and are preparing to buy a 1982 Catalina 27 with the dinette cabin configuration. What are some of the modifications you have done to improve the dinette table and galley area? I saw an article on another site about cutting the table in half (from bow to stern) and hinging it so that the half nearest the centerline folds back towards the hull. The bottom of the half that folds back has to be finished like the top and the single leg support has to be changed, but I like having more room for people to pass in the cabin. I do not expect to use the the alcohol cook-top and will probably remove it and store it at home. All suggestions are welcome. If you have photos that could go on the Photo Forum it would be great. Thanks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
dinnette mods

My origo 2 burner alcohlol stove has a butcher block cover that folds down to become part of the counter top. If I took the stove out there'd be a big pit and less counterspace.... Get a top for the stove.

You can replace the dinnette table support with an adjustable pedestal. I haven't done this but it is in the future. With the pedestal down and the table folded back you could create a U-shaped sofa, giving you more seating or a place to stretch out. Another benefit is the table could be trimmed an inch or so on each side to give you more room when it is in full dinnette mode.

I saw on project where the owner built a storage area under the floor of the dinnette. A long, low wide teak door was the decorative feature.... I'll wait a while on that.

The dinnette table has many possibilities, though, I have considered getting rid of the long split drawer and install a wider storage area under the table top that could be accessed with a lifting top. This would give me an area large enough to store charts. At this point, though I'm more apt to go with U-shape project.

Jul 5, 2005
- - Gig Harbor, WA
Have the same model boat

With the port aft galley. I don't think that cutting the table down will give you much more room, ya still bang your knees into the seats.

I took out the orignal galley and rebuilt it so there is a bit more room in it and better storage. I added a drawer under the dinette floor, drawers under the foward seat and made the ones under the aft seat longer. I added a cabinet above the galley for plates and one on the opposite side for the 12v electrial fuse panels. The orignal stove was reworked for propane by a PO. I crawled in there the starboard Qtr bearth once and it was given up for a hot water heater and dual voltage fridge.

I still want to add doors under the dinette to use the 4" space beside the drawer boxes.
Are you in Wa state?
Pics in link.

Jul 5, 2005
- - Gig Harbor, WA
we have the same model

With the port aft galley. I don't think that cutting the table down will give you much more room, ya still bang your knees into the seats.

I took out the orignal galley and rebuilt it so there is a bit more room in it and better storage. I added a drawer under the dinette floor, drawers under the foward seat and made the ones under the aft seat longer. I added a cabinet above the galley for plates and one on the opposite side for the 12v electrial fuse panels. The orignal stove was reworked for propane by a PO. I crawled in there the starboard Qtr bearth once and it was given up for a hot water heater and dual voltage fridge.

I still want to add doors under the dinette to use the 4" space beside the drawer boxes.
Are you in Wa state?

N

NCNoviceCouple

Good ideas

I'm in Washington, NC. I need to clarify my profile. Thanks for the ideas. The model I'm looking at (it could be mine by next weekend) does not have draws under the dinette seats - just lift out panels under the cushions. I think a door where David's drawers are is the best solution for me. The drawer under the dinette floor is a nice idea. I'm also kicking around Joe's idea about a U-shaped seating area. When we were on the boat yesterday I told my wife what I thought I could do with the radios and other equipment and it is very similar to David's picture. I agree that the galley is very inefficient and could be rebuilt and more efficient, but that's a project for weather that is too cold for sailing. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina C-27 Providence, RI
I'm in the process of refitting my C-27 that I bought in August. My wife and I love cruising and I needed to make a few changes to provide more storage.

I built a storage unit for behind the table that will double as a chart station. I also built a new storage compartment for the bow, above the v-berth. The galley is being completely modified and upgraded. I converted the alcohol stove to LPG, and built a new butcher block top. I also built two new draw units for under the port settee and several teak storage accessories. The counter top is being upgraded with new formica, new redesigned teak trim and modified to be more user friendly. The ice box has been insolated with 1" rigid foam and a custom stainless steel raking system to better hold the ice. I'm installing a small 115/12 volt refrigerator and microwave that will be incorporated into the port settee area. I'm working on a hot water system and upgrading the head to make it more user friendly.

All of the woodwork I'm doing is in teak that I stripped off of old boats and reworked in my woodshop. I'm also upgrading the electrical, installing a new Sirus radio and flatscreen satalite TV system. Upgrading some electronics and I just finished putting together a laptop GPS Chartplotter system.

This is a work in progress and hopefully it'll be ready to splish in May.

Good luck on your projects,
BILL

Attachments

Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
some 27 mods

i didn't fool around with the table, but i did put in a 'chart locker' under the table. it holds plenty of charts without having to fold them. i sacrificed the port berth and moved the electric panel under the stove. not wanting to deal with the CG with regards to the head, i dumped that and put in a porta-potti along with a sliding vanity and sink arrangement. also added some drawers under the dinette and v-berth.

Attachments

biggio

Aug 12, 2007
Catalina 27 Mandeville, La.
i didn't fool around with the table, but i did put in a 'chart locker' under the table. it holds plenty of charts without having to fold them. i sacrificed the port berth and moved the electric panel under the stove. not wanting to deal with the CG with regards to the head, i dumped that and put in a porta-potti along with a sliding vanity and sink arrangement. also added some drawers under the dinette and v-berth.
Lol Joe I needed you last year. I bought a new groco head last year.
It was chore to get it assemblied and installed.
The porta potti looks like the way to go.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Porta Potties are nasty to empty...I will take a marine head any day as long as it isn't a Jabsco!

Status
Not open for further replies.