Dilemma: FCC and MMSI rules Jeopardize Safety

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hi Jackdaw,
I'm in Lake Ontario and our water is mid-40's until about July too and we do nite time race crossings to Canada (40-50 miles) and day time holiday crossings. I'm not saying a handheld might not help (i'll often carry one in race situations). But unless the boat is within a few hundred yards of you already, I doubt they will receive your signal. Remember VHF works on line of sight only, if you are in the water with 4' waves, you have no line of site to any boat. Even at 6' up (like standing in a cockpit) the range will only be a mile or two unless the water is flat calm.
Check out a USPS radio communications class sometime, a handheld VHF in the water is not something you can count on for anything but the immediate vicinity around your position.
Thanks, Bill T
A 40 foot masttop has a LOS of 10 MILES, regardless of how low the other antenna is.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
handheld VHF radio
Hi Billy.. it's the DSC that makes it attractive. As far as line of sight is concerned. All MOB devices that use DSC or AIS are equally limited. Only the satellite frequencies are of any use... and they are line of sight too... -Jon

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 410 Rochester, NY
Hi Jon,
At least the Sat based systems are LOS above you, completely different from radio to radio. Like I said previously I don't have a problem with handhelds, I use them myself. Its an extra bit of insurance when you need it. Just don't expect it to perform miracles as some people would suggest on this thread.
Happy Sailing!
Bill T

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
A few years ago I thought about buying a used EPIRP that would require new batteries, re-programmed MMSI, etc. A friend who worked for decades in the marine electronics industry dissuaded me. His point was: "Look, this is a piece of life-saving equipment that you have to depend on. Get a fit-for-pupose unit with the best technology currently available; you don't want to die because of old or compromised technology". I listened. I am sure adding GPS and DSC to a handheld VHF is a good feature that may save a life, but if you are in trouble, would you rather rely on line-of-site VHF DSC technology or the right tool for the job? The right tool is a PLB that communicates directly with RCC through the COSPAS/SARSAT satellites. So, buy the handheld radio with DSC after you have a PLB and/or EPIRB. My $0.02.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A lot of assumptions and reliance on a wonky technology (DSC). Don't assume that your MOB is conscious or in a thinking state of mind capable of executing a DSC drill. The AIS are automatic, and a PLB is global. I wear a VHF on a lanyard, but I wouldn't want it to be be my only option, just my voice communicator. FYI, I have an AIS on my helm chartplotter, but no DSC on the ship. So I would not be part of your DSC rescue mix.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
I bought a boat with the radio installed. How can I find out if it is registered or how do I re register with updated info?
ICOM instructions for retrieving MMSI:
MMSI code check The 9-digit MMSI (DSC self ID) code can be checked. q Push [DSC] to select the DSC menu. w Push[Y]/[Z] to select “MMSI” and push [DSC].
Check the 9-digit MMSI (DSC self ID) code. Push [DSC] to exit the condition.

Should be able to find for your radio. Then check FCC.

Nov 8, 2010
I get less than 7 n.mi. to the horizon.
OK Dr Pedantic... ;^)

I was assuming that the other device was some distance above the water level, as it will not work under water. I didn't have to run to some online calculator to make that comment... that was talked about in the ISAF SAS class.

The point is that VHF technology (voice, DSC, AIS) better automatic but OK manual is a valid and key part of a quick rescue scenario. The Volvo guys use those rescusME AIS devices, for chrisakes.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
I understand the point this conversation is addressing, however, notwithstanding all the emergency tech, it is imperative to have a handheld VHF aboard. In 2014, my daughter and I were sailing my new Hunter 33e from Annapolis to D.C. When we were dismasted due to poor assembly of the jib furler. It was a Tuesday afternoon in the widest part of the Chesapeake with no shipping or recreational boating around. All of the sudden, my main VHF radio antenna was 20 feet under water! Our DSC was not going to help. Thank God I had purchased a handheld VHS and it was fully charged. It was able to raise the nearest coast guard station with its limited range. It was a lifesaver that day. No matter the range or sea state ALWAYS have an alternative form of communication on your boat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fact checking is really in vogue these days. Every utterance or nuance, regardless of how mundane, is immediately pounced upon for its veracity and then telegraphed to the world to ridicule if even slightly inaccurate. The new America! In any event, I think we have the picture.;)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Fact checking is really in vogue these days. Every utterance or nuance, regardless of how mundane, is immediately pounced on for it veracity and then telegraphed to the world to ridicule if even slightly inaccurate. The new America. In any event, I think we have the picture.;)
LOL toche!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
No matter the range or sea state ALWAYS have an alternative form of communication on your boat.
You don't need to lose your stick to have a VHF with a TX range of 12 feet, you just need a connector or wiring failure somewhere between the headset and the top of your mast. I sailed for a week one time unaware that while I was receiving radio comms, I was not sending.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gunni. Isn't that what radio checks are for? In flying it is one of the checklist items before moving.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I finally figured out that the reason I wasn't getting a return on the Automatic Radio Check system was not because of some problem in the ionosphere, solar activity or some such but rather that the mast conduit had damaged my masthead wiring. In any case I sailed for 4 months with a handheld at the helm because the mast needed to come down to effect a repair.