Difficult time raising the main

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
The sheeve at the foot of the mast is broken. This is a pic of the mast foot when it was off the mast. Can you tell me how to replace the sheeve?
FYI -
In this context, 'sheave' is a noun and is pronounced "shiv" (rhymes with 'give').
In another context, 'sheave' is a verb having nothing to do with sailing. The verb 'sheave' rhymes with 'eave'.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
FYI -
In this context, 'sheave' is a noun and is pronounced "shiv" (rhymes with 'give').
In another context, 'sheave' is a verb having nothing to do with sailing. The verb 'sheave' rhymes with 'eave'.
And a shiv is something you don't want to see in a convicts hand when he is behind bars.

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Tugging on the leach may not solve the problem, but definitely shows what the problem is. I wonder if finding a way to lift from a point lower in the head plate would keep it more parallel.
Put another grommet in at the lower part of the head plate?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yes, that is what I was thinking, although I always hate punching a hole in something, when you don't know for sure if it will work. You would also need a much deeper U-clip to make it work. While this might fake it into working, its not actually "fixing" it, but rather is just a work around.
I'll mention one other thing. My old Hobie Cat did not have slugs, it used the bolt rope in the slot. The boat was much more finicky about being pointed into the wind to raise the main, than other boats I have with slugs. The Hobie was also a full baton sail.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Yes, that is what I was thinking, although I always hate punching a hole in something, when you don't know for sure if it will work. You would also need a much deeper U-clip to make it work. While this might fake it into working, its not actually "fixing" it, but rather is just a work around.
I'll mention one other thing. My old Hobie Cat did not have slugs, it used the bolt rope in the slot. The boat was much more finicky about being pointed into the wind to raise the main, than other boats I have with slugs. The Hobie was also a full baton sail.
Is it possible to convert to slugs?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One would need to put grommets into the sail. I think DrJudyB would have a better idea if that is practical.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Actually converting to slugs has the advantage of being able to flake the sail on the boom. I've done the conversion on a couple of boats but if you race you might think twice. The type of slugs, especially around the battens, is Judy B's area of expertise.