Difference between the Hunter 310, 320, 326

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Bryant

I am thinking about buying a new Hunter 320 but thought I also look at slightly used 310. Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the two boats, they seem very similar. Dave Bryant MN dvdbrynt@bi.com

B

Bruce Grant

Hmmmm

I'm not sure if the hulls are identical or not, the basic difference that I recall is there is more wood on the 320 than on the 310, also you have a chart table on the 320, there isn't one on the 310. I'm not sure if they made the 310 with a stainless arch or not. The main difference between the 320 and the 326 is the woodwork below has been upgraded another notch and there was some reconfiguration of cupboards. Hope this helps. Bruce Neon Moon (H320)

R

Rob Anderson

320/326 vs. 310

The 326 is the replacement for the 320 and the 326 started arriving at dealers late last summer so I am a little confused by your statement that you are looking at a NEW 320 unless it is old dealer stock. Read the Hunter adds about the improvements they made for the 326 vs the 320 ...DISCOVER THE DIFFERENCE articles in sailing trade magazines. They have reinforced the hull with Kelvar, upgraded hardware and the interior is MUCH nicer. It seems I have read the 310 had some problems and it DEFINITLY has the fiberglass arch which is a big turn-off to me .....bulky and seems to show dirt. The stainless arches are much nicer.There are two 310's at our marina and I think the 320/326 is much better looking. Recent 310's seem to be going in the mid 60's and for a few more K you could get the improved 320 or 326. My choice would be a new 326 first, the 320 second and the 310 a distant third. I just bought a new 306 .....am very pleased with the new features vs. the 290 which it replaced.

R

Rob Anderson

....some more thoughts.......

The fiberglass arch like would be on the 310 was not solid and , I believe, beyond the "unsightliness" had structural problems. The main sheet is attached to the arch so it gets quite abit of torque. Note that the fiberglass arch on the Hunters did not last long. Also, in the April 2002 issue of Practical Sailor there is a review of the Hunter 326 vs. the Beneteau 311 vs. the Catalina 310 you might find of interest. Check it out at www.practical-sailor.com. You might also find a review of the Hunter 310 in their archives.

N

nick

under power

I have a 2001 290 and love it I also saw 326 up close nice boat ,but I heard some guy's say it's 18 horse power was not a nuff power in ruff weather,check owner review's ,that's what I did before I got my 290,I really love all the hunter's but the 340 really had all the extra room for all the option's,good luck.

R

Rob Anderson

.....under-powered ?.....yeah, but......

The 310 also has an 18 HP diesel and it is 300 lbs. more displacement than the 320/326. A good rule of thumb (learned this from an Annapolis surveyor who writes for Spinsheet Magazine) is 2 HP per 1000 lbs. of displacement. The 320/326 displaces 8300 lbs so 18 HP ought to be plenty adequate.I have friends with an Ericson 28 and Pearson 303 that displace 8500 and 10000 lbs respectively and they are powered with a 10 and 13 Hp respectively. By today's standards these boats are under powered but owners are satisfied. I would not be too concerned over the power issue.You could always add a 3 blade prop if you felt power to be a problem.

R

Rick Belew

I have a 320

and I have checked out on this web site some of the changes based on photo. One of the changes that I have on my 320 is the large square opening side hatches located over the galley and head and aft cabin. They had a freeze problem with these window but a solution solved this problem. I'm big on large ports and these smaller ports allow less air flow and visibility. The 326 has a different countertop and I believe it is a better design. The location of the cabinet have been lower to the top of the countertop and I can not say if this is better or not. There has been some other changes and but compared to the 310 these changes between the 320 and 326 would appear minor. My guess since the 326 replaced the 320, you should be able to get a better price for that old, outdated,and redesign 320. The 320 is a great boat!

C

Crazy Dave Condon

My vote for the 326

For some of you who do not know me, I answer questions on the small boat forum. The response are good but the evolution of the 326 is acutally a nice one as it does not stay in stock. However, there is a major surprise. Hunter is now going to the Whitlock wheel steering with a handrail/table that is like on the new 356. I must have the first one which some folks at Hunter did not know about. The 306 wil soon be changed to incorporte the same feature. Thank you Hunter Marine for this quite pleasant and thrilling change. Crazy Dave Condon

M

Melvin

Different Keels

I do not know if it is the same in the USA, but Luhrs are building the 326 and the 306 in the UK with Bilge keel option (two keels that mean shallower draft and the abilty to dry out on the beach). This is great for tidal waters. We originally looked at the 320, which became the 326 by the time we had ordered it and it was delivered. The build spec is higher on the 326. Key differences - the woodwork down below has been treated to mean lower maintenance, saildrive fitted as standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.