Diesel fuel/water filter recommendation

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
I called and spoke with the rep again to confirm. Turns out their website had the wrong pictures and descriptions for the models. I confirmed the specs and price (see attachment). Significantly less expensive than Defender which is odd, but I'm not one to argue!

Attachments

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you don't put more than 50 hours on your engine a season; and, you change your "initial" filter every year, regardless -- then the vacuum gauge is less important.

However, if you're into more extensive use of your motor; and, you have questionable tanks or fuel, then it's a good idea.

If you want to get more sophisticated -- Racor makes a double filter with vacuum gauges that you can switch from the jamed filter to a new one, by flipping a lever.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I am changing my filter about every three years - no increase in vacuum pressure, and capture from the filter bottom shows maybe 1 teaspoon of water every year. Preventing fuel problems begins at the fill port. I change my fill cap o-ring more often than I change the filter...and every fueling gets biocide and diesel enzyme. All fills where the big mobo's take on their massive fuel dumps.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Our favored fuel dock has pumps with 6 digits. I regularly see the power boat dudes dump enough diesel to pay my biannual slip fee, then go burn it up over the weekend. That fuel barely has time to cool off in the marina storage tanks before it gets pumped out of a dispenser. Fresh indeed.