Diesel Engine Smokes and speed limited forward not in reverse why?

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
My diesel engine spews out black smoke and speed is limited to 2400-2500 RPM in forward. In reverse no black smoke and runs fine up to 3200 RPM? Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Need to first go under the boat and look for fishing or other line fouling the prop.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Agree with Leslie - what prop do you have on your Cat 31? Folding or fixed (perhaps different pitches in reverse)?

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
Fixed prop and limited FWD RPM is a recent development. Recently installed a new mixing elbow. Old one was leaking.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
When I had this problem it was due to being over propped. I went to a slightly lowered pitch/ diameter and the engine was able to run up to speed. Over propped and I could not get it in forward to engine rpm without it blowing black smoke.

Fixed the prope and all is well. However you made another change recently so I'd ch com that first.

Good luck

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I can't figure out why it would start suddenly. I assume it ran fine before with this prop, which was probably factory installed.

What else changed? When did you last fill fuel or change oil? Back pressure on mixing could do it, if almost totally clogged, I guess.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
When we're your injectors last serviced? This is something you should have done from time to time anyway and is not costly.