Did you sail Saturday?... do tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
My son and I went up the Maumee River about four miles from Grand Rapids yesterday. It was about 85 degrees and sunny, wind was very light. His first time in a sail boat. He was also learning, as I gave him my Precision 13. There was 7-8mph winds at 11am and then they died down to 0-2mph by 3pm. A couple of times we had to use the Minnkota to motor over to some wind. :) We had fun although it was pretty boring toward the end with no wind. He picked it up pretty quickly, keeping the sails full in some pretty light wind. Lots of waverunners and skiers to watch out for, generating a lot of wakes for us to hop. A 10mph breeze would have been a lot more fun. How about everyone else? Where did you sail Saturday? Jerry

Jun 2, 2004
- - long island,ny
Great sailing in long island ,ny

I had a great day saturday winds were 10 knts plus all day from the north east so I was able to go out to shelter island back,started out at 9 am and did not get back to the dock until 7 pm it was a fantastic day warm and suny all day,well it looks like its going to be another great day and we are packed and off to the boat happy sailing to all. nick

B

Brian

Saturday Sail

Our club had a sail out of Ventura Harbor on Sat. No wind at all! Very unusual for Ventura, CA. Two of us were at a local lake on Friday doing capsize drills. One of our members turtled his 170 doing an accidental jibe last year. So he foamed his mast and we wanted to test it. So we capsized the boat about a dozen times to practice righting the boat and to see if the foaming worked. The foaming worked like a charm. The mast floats now. We will post our results later. The rest of the afternoon we sailed on the lake in 8-10 mph winds. Had a great time. Everyone who sails a dinghy should practice capsizing thier boat so that you know what to do if it happens. Brian

M

Michael P. Mangione

Beaver Lake Arkansas

Sailed yesterday for about an hour. The heat has been opressive in Northwest Arkansas with temps near of above 100 degress. As we left our home port we noticed black clouds to the west. The wind picked to about 10 kts fueling the strom cells to our west. We sailed until the thunder and lightening were close. Doused the sails. The wind clocked around 180 and easily went up 25 kts. We had white caps and waves building. We made it back into port as the heavens opened up. It was so windy that I had the Yanmar cranking 18OO rpms just to drive the boat into the slip. Nice day!

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Saturday was GREAT on the Potomac River

Had a perfect 12-15kts of wind for a beam reach. One tack that lasted for 30nm and averaged 5kts. With the beautiful weather and wind, only saw about 7 other sailboats out. Always wonder where are these people?? This was the sunset we had to endure.. Jim S/V Java

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 23 Lake Keystone, OK
Sailed three hours Saturday.

The first three. The wife and I went out Friday evening and sailed until 3 a.m. Perhaps the most relaxing thing we've ever done. Light winds -- sometimes no wind, but we didn't care -- and a full moon. With her at the helm, I just laid out in the cockpit and watched the moonlit sails slide through the stars. Mac

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Wonderful Sunset

Jim - Wonderful sunset! I second your wonderment over the lack of sailboats on the water. I've thought the same thing. Sounds like several had a good time sailing this weekend. Great stories, keep them coming. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can sail on some lakes in Northern Indiana. Until then the river will have to do. Jerry

J

Jeff Topping

Saturday Sailing - Lake Gaston

What a fantastic day for sailing!! My son and I sailed all day with 10-15 mph winds. I am teaching my son to sail and of course we went over many times (It felt good because the weather was hot!). Now my next purchase will be a ladder because the most difficult thing to do is getting back in the boat...

P

phlocker

Saturday

great sailing Saturday on Peconic Bay (hey Nick, is that photo in Jamesport on Peconic Bay Blvd just up the road from Meeting House Creek?) Sunday afternoon the wind switched to the SW, blowing hard, was itching to get out, but ran out of time....Nick, I'll keep an eye out for ya!! I keep my 146 just down the road!

C

Chuck

Pleasant Bay on Cape Cod

One of the best days ever! NO HUMIDITY, 80+ degrees temp, steady 12kt wind, warm water for swimming. Found a boat launch that is not "resident sticker required" which is becoming more and more rare on Cape Cod. Saw another 170 off in the distance.

Jun 2, 2004
- - long island,ny
phlocker

Yes but its really aquebogue in reeves creek but the boat is farther up the creek now behind J&S cottages,I have not taken a new picture but if you saw the news 12 report all about oyster farms petition that was all filmed at the docks at J&S cottages on saturday where my boat would have been but I was out sailing in some very windy conditions and sunday was great also

J

Jeff Wessel

Diamond Lake, Michigan

Spent the day on Diamond lake about 60 miles south of you. It's a great inland lake, you should try it. Real clean and few stinkpots. My son is leaning too. I attached a photo. The wind is a little shifty on the lake, and died late in the day like yours. I have a Nissan 2.5 hp that will drive the 170 at a decent clip even at idle.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
PFD's?

PHLocker, Nice catch! PFD's and the responsive (but tippy) 170 are like peanut butter and jelly! Mike G.

J

Jerrya

PFD's... you don't need no stinking...

PFD's? You guys are fast! I didn't even notice. They are always a good idea... in Ohio they're required to be in the boat. I usually tie one to the top of the mast until I get my mast foamed. Just kidding... really. :) Young man you should have your PFD on in a 170. Great story, looks like a good lake for me to try. I'll look it up on the map. Do they have public ramps? Keep the stories coming. Jerry

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
First trip out this year

My wife had some surgery and our free time has been devoted to her (nothing life-threatening...orthopedic in nature) and with her being unable to get out until at least Septemeber and my sons having odd summer vacation work schedules, we just haven't found the time. But the boys managed to both be off on Wednesday and I took the day off myself. Only about upper 60's but that's a big change from the 90's that we've seemingly had all summer. The pleasant temps made setup go quickly and we were out on the lake for 3 hrs. 10 mph winds and no more than 3-5 other boats on the lake at any given time. With the sun out, the air was perfect for me and it was one of those days that reminded me how much I enjoy sailing. Everyone took turns at the helm as well as stretching out to bask in the sun and dangle feet in the water. Hope to have a few more before my sons scatter back to college.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Lake Erie Today!

Dick - That sounds like great fun. Where do you take your boat? The wife and I went out on Lake Erie again today. We spent about five hours out on Maumee Bay. I touched the center board on the bottom once and we were a long way from shore. The wind was much better the last couple hours. Waves were under two foot. It was fun crashing through wakes of big power boats. I sailed, the wife read a book all day and furled/unfurled the jib when needed. The action at the ramp was almost as entertaining. This guy was trying to back a jet-ski trailer in with a duelie pick'm up. He couldn't see a thing. The kid on the jet-ski finally picked up the trailer and walked it into the water while the truck backed up. Git'r done! Jerry

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Lake Lansing

Jerry- We sail on Lake Lansing, which is about 10 minutes from our house. This summer is one of the hottest on record, but it has also been wet, so the water level is high enough that we didn't touch any sand bars. I must admit that I love getting out during the week as our launch area gets nuts on weekends

P

phlocker

night sailing

Hey Mac...night sailing with no Nav lights...isnt that against some USCG rules as well as a hazard?? Dont know the area you sail in so it might be ok...

J

Jeff Wessel

No PFDs

UH...yeah, PFDs are a good idea,I admit. My bad. At the time the photo was taken, wind was down to around 3-4 mph and for all intents and purposes, we were drifting. Not a good excuse, but it's the one I have. Several minutes later, we were anchored and swimming off the back of the boat. Diamond Lake does have a public ramp. It is run by the dnr so if you have a pass, it will work there. I have been about six times this summer and only seen it backed up once. Even so, they have room to go two at a time and it is a short wait. The only thing wrong with it is that there is very little room to set up a sailboat. I have always been lucky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.