Detroit River travel

Sep 19, 2018
Mirage 33 St. Clair Shores
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but all the posts I came across were about 18+ years old. My question is when sailing between lake St. Clair and lake Erie going up or down the Detroit River you are going to cross into Canada and back to the U.S. If just passing through do you need any addition ID like a Nexus or I-68?

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Our most recent recent trips from Lake Erie to Lake Huron in 2016 and 2017 we did not call in. That being said, we've had a Nexus card for a decade.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You need to check on line with the Border Patrol offices of both countries to understand the current rules involving Maritime use of their waters. But in general:
  • If you Land in a country you need to process through the Border Patrol - Customs
  • If you transit through territorial waters you are not required to check in.
  • both Canada and the US are actively monitoring the border. Both have patrol boats in the water and both or either can stop you. You will need to have the proper papers for your boat and the people on board when stopped for inspection.
Here is what one site says about "Landing".
Landing
You have ‘landed’ in Canada when you enter Canadian territorial waters. You are not considered to have landed if you are “in transit”, defined as proceeding directly from 1 point outside of Canada to another point outside of Canada in a continuous, uninterrupted passage with no delays or stop-overs. You have ‘landed’ in Canada if you are weaving in and out of Canadian waters, for example if engaged in recreational fishing.

You have ‘landed’ in the United States when your vessel first comes to rest in US waters, whether at anchor, at a dock or beached.​

Sep 19, 2018
Thanks for the help. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure about a phone check in or if there were any special circumstances for a dredged channel where you are kinda forced to cross international boundaries. Wishful thinking.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Remember that while you might be allowed 'free transit' in another countries territorial waters, that does not mean that you cannot be stopped and inspected. They can to that to anyone, at any time, for any reason. If you want to minimize the chances of that, be cool, look proper, and sail a rhumb line course from A to B.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I spoke to US CBP office here and was advised to get their new app ROAM to report my return to the US.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers
You might find your answers on this link. I checked with Canadian Border Services Agency about "in-transit". They said if I crossed the border and sailed constantly "Day and Night" across the border to Ketchikan (750NM) I did not have to stop in at their office. But, be prepared to have a visit with one or more of their patrol craft along the way.

Sep 19, 2018
I will checkout that link, I was searching for something that was somewhat clear and most importantly up to date. Its that time of year to plan new trips and it seemed like a slow day at SBO figured I would get some pretty quick answers.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As others have said, so long as you in transit you should be OK. Just don't stop or drop anchor without reporting.

Remember too, the USCG can stop a US flagged vessel anywhere in international waters or Canadian waters. I've been stopped by Border Patrol on the US Canadian border 20 miles offshore on Lake Ontario and boarded by the CG literally on the border in the St Lawrence River. The boarding crew kept telling me to stay on the right (south side) of the channel, which would be US waters.