Destin destinations

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have vacationed down in the Ft Walton/Destin area a few times. Discovered the area on a job with Boeing on Eglin AFB back in the 80's. We're kind of in a rut and I want to find something new this Aug when we go back. I'd like to find a skippered 30-40' catamaran cruise to introduce my sis-in-law and her husband to them. They come sail with us at our lake, and they loved the evening sail on the Daniel Webster Clements in Destin.
Something like this maybe. I wonder if they discount some if you crew:
https://www.tripshock.com/Catamaran...th-Spider-Crab-Charters/details/1606/#reviews
Any other cool nautical things to see? We plan to revisit the Pensacola Air Museum. One of the birds I worked on is there. It's pretty hot when we go late August but rates are lower. My sis can't walk far without breaks.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Emerald Coast Sailing on Pensacola Beach has a 37 cat that can be chartered by the day with captain.
Check it out at www.ECSailing.com
If you worked in the area previously, you know that it is hot in August, Damned HOT! Sea breeze kicks in early afternoon and makes things tolerable; however, mornings are usually miserable for sailing.
If you are planning to visit the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, check out the Blue Angels practice schedule on their website. I believe that they practice on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings; you can watch the show from behind the museum and then tour the museum after the flight demo is completed. Usually draws a big crowd. The museum is a great place to visit, especially to escape the heat!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks BigEasy. I'll check out EC. I would like to catch the Angels this time. There are pools and bars to cool off too. We like to visit McGuires in Pensacola. I don't see how the fire dept hasn't cited them for all those flammable dollar bills everywhere. It's interesting to hear new people when they find out the bathroom signs are switched.
https://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
The Ft. McRee anchorage on the west side of Pensacola pass is where the Angels practice on Tuesday mornings, if in town. Nice anchorage as well. Great place to see them in the off-season, but I believe they're pretty booked for airshows in summer months.
upload_2018-6-5_14-17-23.png

Attachments

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin...did you get out okay and get the problem solved? We lived at no. 12 Rio Vista Drive out on the beach...north side of the highway our yard was the bay side....went to bed each evening hearing the roar of the beach on the south side of the highway.....I was a dental technician on the aircraft carrier Lexington the last 10 months of my naval career.....spent a little over three years in Newport, RI...at the dental clinic...this is where I met Ms. Heather;(Newport)...I think my new pump is to arrive tomorrow....patrick

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi Paddy. I would have never left if I lived there! My San Antonio high school buddy has been renting his FL home until he can retire to it.
With plenty of friendly volunteers, we were able to get Bella to the crane and onto the trailer. My flywheel teeth ring arrives today. The new starter in about a week. I (only) need to pull my transmission back to get to the bellhousing and remove the flywheel. Should be toasty down below. At least it's not July!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Justin,
I have attempted to attach the Blue Angels practice schedule for 2018. They usual practice on Tuesday & Wednesday mornings during air show season from March thru the final annual show at NAS Pensacola in November. Be sure to check the time for the practice because it varies. Also, I would call the Blue Angels duty phone number to make sure that they are practicing on the day you plan to catch the show, because sometimes the show may be cancelled because of any number of reasons. Don't want to get there expecting to see a practice show that was cancelled----been there done that! After the show season ends in November, they take a break at which time new pilots rotate into the group. They move to NAS El Centro, CA to practice during the off season from January to March to get the new group "up to speed." Awesome to watch, I never get enough! As Parsons mentioned you can get a close up view at the Fort McCrea anchorage near Pensacola Pass. As many times that I have chartered boats out of Pensacola and as many nights that I have anchored at McCree and Spanish Point,
I haven't been able to catch the show from that vantage point.
http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/blue-angels-release-2018-Pensacola-practice-schedule/

Last edited: