Depth Transducer Location - Catalina 22

kdwood

Jul 17, 2018
Catalina C 22 Lake Dardanelle, AR River
I am going to install a depth sounder on my C-22 swing keel. Can anyone give me advice as to where to mount the transducer?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Logic would say somewhere in the bow for earlier indication but on my Mac26S I ended up with mine hanging off the stern. I never could get mine to shoot thru the hull correctly from in front of the water ballast tank.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Not sure what year your boat is but most of us mount it along the centerline in front of the keel. There is a large hatch in the V Berth that will give access through the inner liner to the hull. Just use toilet wax or plumbers putty to mount and make sure there are no air bubbles. Works great on these little boats and you don't have to dill a hole..

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Not sure what year your boat is but most of us mount it along the centerline in front of the keel. There is a large hatch in the V Berth that will give access through the inner liner to the hull. Just use toilet wax or plumbers putty to mount and make sure there are no air bubbles. Works great on these little boats and you don't have to dill a hole..
+1 to the V-berth locker ahead of the porta-potty. My boat had a through-hull already in place, so I did the same when I replaced it. But if you don't already have a hole in the hull, try the through-hull sender. On my 1981, there's a small channel straight back from that locker to the 'bilge' under the cabin step, if you want to run cables through there. If that's too narrow, it's an easy cable run on either side, between the liner and the hull.