Delrin pin for keel bolt?

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
anyone used something like that for their bolt? Thinking it might be handy to lock the keel, but let it pop in shallow (Chesapeake) waters. Plan would be to not pop it, but you know, things happen.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I have read of people using wooden dowels, so I think your idea would work. I would cut threads on each end so you could put rubber washers and nuts on to keep water from coming in. Personally, I don't lock my keel down. I like the ability to raise or lower quickly, depending on my point of sail or close proximity to shallow water. I have small expanding rubber plugs in the holes to keep water out. I do have a lockdown bolt, with rubber washers and a wingnut, stored right by the hole in case I would feel the need to put it in.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I use one on my rudder but lock down my keel down with a bolt. I sail in the ocean so don't have many of the problems of lake sailors.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I bought nylon threaded rod from McMaster Carr. Nylon wing nuts and rubber coated washers. Cheap. Haven't used it yet. I too have never locked my keel down but want to be able to if it got that bad.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
IdaSailor used to sell Delrin pins specifically for locking down their rudder. They were supposed to shear if you hit something. I think I still have a couple from my Mac years

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about something that is spring loaded, inserted from the top of the trunk. Strong enough to prevent CB collapse in case of a knock down, but gives in a collision? I've been wondering about this scenario because I want to sail on the ocean and in thin water. Sometimes both at the same time. For instance, I plan to sail from Key West to Dry Tortugas and the area around the Marquis is very shallow, but you're definitely out at sea.
A locking shear pin below the waterline seems like a problem. Another thing that would be cool is to be able to partially raise the CB, but release it to full extension in case of a knock down.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
The advantage of delrin over nylon is delrin shears cleanly making it much easier to remove after a shear. For my 26S rudder, I bought a delrin rod, cut lengths from it, drilled a hole in one end for a zip tie and cut threads with a die on the other end for a SS lock nut.