Registered users don't see ads

Delayed Reverse

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by CTS, May 20, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CTS

CTS

Joined Dec 5, 2017
    30 posts, 11 likes
    Catalina 27
    us pa
    We had a great sail today on the Chesapeake Bay, good winds, nice temps and no chop. When we got back to our slip when I went to back in and put it in reverse, there was a 2-3 second delay until it engaged. Once tied up in our slip I put it in forward, neutral and reverse. Forward engages right away, but reverse has a 2-3 second delay. We had to get on our way home so I didn't have any time to investigate. Any suggestions so I can prepare for our next visit?

Thanks, Mike

2. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    993 posts, 37 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Maybe start by checking the fluid level in the transmission.

3. DaveJ

DaveJ

Joined Apr 2, 2013
    219 posts, 49 likes
    Catalina 310
    Ca Niagara-on-the-Lake
    Mike, a while back (July 2017) in the Catalina 30 section, this was discussed in a thread about changing transmission oil. Not sure if I have supplied the link or not, but there is great info there. Everything from checking transmission level and condition, making sure the cable linkage is set properly, to a description of the parts needed for a rebuild. Here is a section of one of my replies in that thread, but my slippage was in forward only. Since then I have 150 hours on the rebuild with zero issues.

Ted, I have the same engine and transmission, and had the same slipping 2 seasons ago. I bought the clutch plate kit and the gasket kit from Basic Power Industries, about $320 US. I have a friend that is an auto mechanic, he rebuilt it and I have had no issues since. The clutch plates were very polished, after only 500 hours on the engine.
    Part #s were
    ALT316750 - Clutch plate kit for Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100
    ALT316801B - Gasket set to Overhaul Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/transmission-information.186662/#post-1390074

Cheers
    dj

4. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    In addition to checking the transmission fluid, look at your dampener plate if you haven't done this project.

5. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    4,991 posts, 241 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    Before you get sidetracked by all the guesses, have you checked the condition and play in the shift cable?

kloudie1 likes this.
  6. CTS

CTS

Joined Dec 5, 2017
    30 posts, 11 likes
    Catalina 27
    us pa
    I have not checked anything yet. As we had to head out once we docked. We will be down at the boat in the morning hoping to sail out and get a night or two on anchor. I will check the shift cable and fluid level and color as my first step. Does it take a specific type of ATF? Thanks.

7. KZW

KZW

Joined May 17, 2014
    545 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 310 #307
    US Bluewater Bay, FL
    How does one go about checking the dampener plate if the transmission is still fixed to the engine and the engine is in place?

8. JK_Boston_Catalina310

JK_Boston_Catalina310

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    1,934 posts, 70 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Hingham, MA
    I know a couple of mechanics that can diagnose the issue without taking it apart by listening to it go in and out of gear. But I'm not that good. So I would take the transmission off the engine and look. My damaged dampener plate was readily apparent as soon as I put eyes on it.

9. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    4,993 posts, 905 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Yes, a poorly adjusted shift cable or a cable that is slipping in the transmission shifter arm can give these kinds of problems.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates