Dehumidifier

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
Haven't been on in quite some time. Bought a 1994 Catalina 28 mk1 Slipped Oceanside Ca. tired of moisture . any suggestions on a reliable dehumidifier that I can leave on and drain into sink

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Haven't been on in quite some time. Bought a 1994 Catalina 28 mk1 Slipped Oceanside Ca. tired of moisture . any suggestions on a reliable dehumidifier that I can leave on and drain into sink
I have been eyeballing this guy for a while. Many dehumidifiers require an operating temp of 50°F+. This one states as low as 33°F. If you are a live aboard then you may need a higher output model.

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-13-P...t=101&pf_rd_i=267557011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@woodzy
I bought a unit from Lowes. It has worked well for the past 2 years. Hisense DH-35K1SCLE Energy Star 2-Speed Dehumidifier, 35-Pint. Once I started it the mold was gone. Improved boat smells. Only problem it is a bit large. You have to run a hose to a place to empty the condensation.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
I bought the Caframo dehumidifier awhile back thru E-Bay. It's low electric draw @ 12" in diameter.

I use a simple house timer AC hookup & run them for 4 hours starting from 4 to 8 am for moisture removal.
It's pretty inexpensive & I use 2. One in the main cabin & one near my V-berth.
There are other brands, but I like these to dry moisture for in Florida, it's humid at times.
However, there are many others that work just as well.........

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I used one like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigida...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-306628684-_-206734555-_-N
for a few years .. Worked very well in controlling moisture and mold and mildew.. I had it draining into the sink , and had it secured well on the cabinet top.. Hated to have to wrestle it off when we left for sailing.. Can't use a chemical one here in Louisiana because they saturate very quickly in our humidity. I now have an on board air conditioner that has a "Dehumidify" cycle that runs most f the time when we aren't aboard..

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
K,
I had them placed on buckets below & never a problem with draining.........

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I use one of the brand names from Wal Mart. Check prices from Wal M, HD and Lowes. Need an external garden hose connection to run into sink or bilge for discharge. I run mine 24/7 with programmed settings. Up side is it keeps boat interior dry and smelling great. Down side as Kloudie mentioned is removal for sailing. Wouldn’t go without one for the high humidity we experience in South Houston area.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC5PPWM/ref=dp_cerb_2. I used it in the boat while on a mooring in Florida for a few months. Like others, drilled a drain hole and led water into the sink. The unit says it runs on 9v dc which is provided by the brick inverter that is supplied. The fine print on the inverter said its output is 12v dc. So I hooked it up to my dc system that is powered by a single 100 watt solar panel. It draws about 2 amps at 12v, so I put a timer that limited the dehumidifiers run time to 3 hours every morning to keep the batteries from running down. Worked fine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have one of these. It will fill and stop in about 5-6 days during the summer. I'm looking for the right fitting to tap into the bowl so I can drain it into the sink in the head. 7 x 6 x 11 inches

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I do have Eva dry for many years here in Fl and drilled hole used plastic tubing for draining in sink and many others in my club use same.
Nice size to store away while cruising.
Nick

Apr 15, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 281 Solomons, Maryland
So do you guys leave your sink seacocks open to drain the water from the humidifier? I have one of the Eva's and thought of doing this but was uncomfortable with leaving the seacock open. Would draining it into a bucket work for a few days on the Chesapeake?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
So do you guys leave your sink seacocks open to drain the water from the humidifier? I have one of the Eva's and thought of doing this but was uncomfortable with leaving the seacock open. Would draining it into a bucket work for a few days on the Chesapeake?
The specs show: 8 oz. of water per day at 86° F and 80% R.H.
It would take a longtime to fill most sink drain hoses and a sink to overflowing with that kind of output. I have an Eva-Dry 1100 set up with the drain into the galley sink and thru hull closed. It keeps the boat at just below 50% RH at 60°F inside (normally about 45°F and 90% humidity outside). I open the thru hull to empty the hose every 3 - 5 days and rarely is the water up to the sink drain. The little guy does all right if no one is aboard. If you were a living on board breathing and cooking you would need a full size dehumidifier.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I use these in both our boats, they are fabulous. I just drilled and tapped the water reservoir, and installed a nipple and a piece of hose, which drains down the sink. Both boats stay fresh as a daisy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTW6KQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I keep one almost exactly like this in my Catalina 27. I took out the float for the auto shutoff and drilled a hole up high in the tank. That way it will just run continuously. I keep it in the galley sink so that when it drains out of the hole it just goes down the drain.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
The fine print on the inverter said its output is 12v dc. So I hooked it up to my dc system that is powered by a single 100 watt solar panel. It draws about 2 amps at 12v, so I put a timer that limited the dehumidifiers run time to 3 hours every morning to keep the batteries from running down. Worked fine.
That’s cool. If it was set up as a “dump
load”, it could run all the time when the batteries are fully charged. Will have to look into that...