Dehumidifier for Hunter 49

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Getting the boat dry is the first step. In LA an EVADRY 2200 should be enough.
+1

You should not have any water in your bilge. Fix that first. Mine is absolutely dry. When I go to the boat and check bilge and there is water in there I know something has gone wrong.
+1.

It is my understanding that an air conditioner's primary purpose in life is to remove heat from the air and in doing so removes water from the air. Where as, a dehumidifier's primary purpose is to remove water from the air and in doing so warms the air in the process. The former would typically be used in a warm humid climate and the latter in a cool humid climate. I guess the OP would have to determine what his is. That is once he has removed all the other sources of water ingress from his bilge.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Hello Below THe OP is from LA California. It would be difficult to determine just what his climate is to my recollection it is in constant flux.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It is my understanding that an air conditioner's primary purpose in life is to remove heat from the air and in doing so removes water from the air. Where as, a dehumidifier's primary purpose is to remove water from the air and in doing so warms the air in the process.
No. Both processes remove water from the air. The difference is; in A/C mode the compressor and fan stay on until the cabin is cooled, in the de-humidification mode the compressor keeps the compressor coil cool then shuts down while the fan continues to move air across the coil where it precipitates moisture out of the air.

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
So I was the that started the thread. I am in Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles. We have a relatively warm dry climate.

I decided for now to punt. I am just going to replace my Caframo "dehumidifier" for now. With 2 on the boat, it has worked fairly well worked for years. In the meantime, I am going to look for the source of water in my bilge.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I use a Eva Dry on top sink drilled hole added hose so to keep from filling and into sink drain and some fans move air around helps here in Florida
Nick
Nick,
Just curious what size eva-dry do you use on your boat? I was looking at the 1100.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was searching for dehumidifying threads and found this one. I have had an EvaDry in my Amazon wish list for a long time. I was just getting ready to order one for the boat and I saw a customer review video. He said it works well but the power supply gets very hot to the touch. To he and I, this means premature failure in the electrical world.
How long have you users had yours? Any problems? I plan to tap the reservoir and direct it into the lav sink.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin unfortunately it is not an easy issue to resolve. Low cost appears to mean cheap in electrical manufacturing. Low cost components barely meeting some standard.
To reduce water vapor you need heat and air movement. So you going to get the trifecta. Electricity, water vapor, and cheap parts. What could go wrong?

There are a lot of EvaDry’s sold.

Alternative is one of the bigger dehydration units. 100plus cost at a box store. Better but not sure how much longevity. I run one in my boat. It has done a great job. By I’m not sure how long it will work. Kind of like laptops today. A disposable piece of hardware. Use it and dump it in a few years.

It’s a pain but better than mold in the boat.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I use a Eva Dry on top sink drilled hole added hose so to keep from filling and into sink drain and some fans move air around helps here in Florida
Nick
Nick did you just drill a hole in the basin and run a hose out? Do you run it all the time?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Can these Eva Dry units be run off of a 12v system to eliminate the heating? Has anyone tried to convert one?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin unfortunately it is not an easy issue to resolve. Low cost appears to mean cheap in electrical manufacturing. Low cost components barely meeting some standard.
To reduce water vapor you need heat and air movement. So you going to get the trifecta. Electricity, water vapor, and cheap parts. What could go wrong?

There are a lot of EvaDry’s sold.

Alternative is one of the bigger dehydration units. 100plus cost at a box store. Better but not sure how much longevity. I run one in my boat. It has done a great job. By I’m not sure how long it will work. Kind of like laptops today. A disposable piece of hardware. Use it and dump it in a few years.

It’s a pain but better than mold in the boat.
Thanks John. You're right, use it as long as it works. I may set the transformer on something fireproof...just in case

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Can these Eva Dry units be run off of a 12v system to eliminate the heating? Has anyone tried to convert one?
Yes, you can get a 12v cord. The power brick output is 12V DC. Yes, I have done this.

I was running two two boats) and they last 5-8 years.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you go straight DC, you'll definitely want to be sure your charger can keep up with the battery drain. I imagine most of the heat in the transformer/converter is from the load and not the AC to DC conversion.