Dehumidifier for Hunter 49

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I have been using 2 West Marine dehumidifers in my Hunter 49 to control humidity in Los Angeles. Lately, it has not been sufficient. I suspect the units need to be replaced. Before I do that, does anyone have a better solution to humidity for a boat this size. So many of the humidifiers require that you empty the reservoir which does not work for me, and I really do not know what size I need.

Any suggestions?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Check out aridbilge.com their claim is that most of the humidity in the boat comes from standing water in the bilges. I have purchased one of their units and just installed it last week so I can't give you firsthand knowledge but it all makes sense to me. I spent a lot of time in advance investigating them and they gave me a lot of their time to help me figure it out. I just didn't want to have to stick dehumidifiers in the boat.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Any suggestions?
There are many from the PNW on this forum that should be of assistance.

When you talk about WM dehumidifiers I assume you are referring to the round Caframo pan heaters. These are not dehumidifiers as such but rather a small (as in <100W) heater with a built in fan. These devices are intend to move air around very small spaces and that is about it. I have 4 of them located in my boat.

This thread should answer most of your questions. Let us know what you think.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...and-want-to-fix-it.168459/&highlight=Humidity

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I use an electric space heater. Works great. Raises the temp and reduces the relative humidity. This is done in conjunction with a solar powered vent.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I use a Eva Dry on top sink drilled hole added hose so to keep from filling and into sink drain and some fans move air around helps here in Florida
Nick

Dec 4, 2017
Hunter 466 Seattle
I am using an EcoSeb dessicant dehumidifier and it brought my entire boat down to 12% humidity, at which point the laminated top to the nav station came off. (I didn't know you could get it too dry!) I use the included hose right into the bilge. It has a smaller footprint than the compressor based models, and it is quieter too. I'd buy it again for sure.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have been using 2 West Marine dehumidifers in my Hunter 49 to control humidity in Los Angeles. Lately, it has not been sufficient. I suspect the units need to be replaced. Before I do that, does anyone have a better solution to humidity for a boat this size. So many of the humidifiers require that you empty the reservoir which does not work for me, and I really do not know what size I need.

Any suggestions?
On my 49, my bilge is bone dry. This has taken some effort, but well worth it.
You need to plumb all the airco pans to some version of sump box. In my case, I used a Whale IC pump system, which also services the showers.
With a dry bilge, the boat is much happier

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
West Marine doesn't sell real dehumidifiers. They sell stupid little heaters (they don't remove water) and buckets of CaCl2 (they remove less than an ounce per day).

Getting the boat dry is the first step. In LA an EVADRY 2200 should be enough.

Mar 26, 2011
West Marine doesn't sell real dehumidifiers. They sell stupid little heaters (they don't remove water) and buckets of CaCl2 (they remove less than an ounce per day).

Getting the boat dry is the first step. In LA an EVADRY 2200 should be enough. Yes, you are going to need to figure out a way to drain the water--if there is nothing to drain, then obviously, it is not removing water. Most dehumidifiers can be modified to drain into the sink.

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
On my 49, my bilge is bone dry. This has taken some effort, but well worth it.
You need to plumb all the airco pans to some version of sump box. In my case, I used a Whale IC pump system, which also services the showers.
With a dry bilge, the boat is much happier
New
I did not understand your post, but my 49 is clearly the opposite of yours. My bilge pump runs several times per day. What did you mean I need to plumb all the airco pans to some version of sump box?

Mar 26, 2011
I think he means air conditioning pans.

Basically, only honest to goodness leaks should end up in the sump. Everything else should be contained in local sumps and pumped out. IF the pump is running every day, something is putting water in your boat.

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
I think he means air conditioning pans.

Basically, only honest to goodness leaks should end up in the sump. Everything else should be contained in local sumps and pumped out. IF the pump is running every day, something is putting water in your boat.
I am in California. No AC on the boat.

But as long as the subject comes up, the sink in the master head forward drains into the bilge. That cannot be right. Where should it be going?

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego

But as long as the subject comes up, the sink in the master head forward drains into the bilge. That cannot be right. Where should it be going?
It should connect and drain into a through hull. You are correct. That is not right. Suppose the sink faucet was left running. You would not want the bilge taking care of that.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
You should not have any water in your bilge. Fix that first. Mine is absolutely dry. When I go to the boat and check bilge and there is water in there I know something has gone wrong.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto

Seriously???
This is 100% wrong.
There is a through hull fitting under the floor in the fwd cabin that the sink drains to.
Look in the owner's manual.
You should have zero water in your bilge.
If you're not running airco units, then you have a leak somewhere

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
You should not have any water in your bilge. Fix that first. Mine is absolutely dry. When I go to the boat and check bilge and there is water in there I know something has gone wrong.
Yes, I agree.
I actually have a pump called my "bilge vacuum, it is a separate pump which has a hose which goes to dead bottom.
When I wash my bilge occasionally, the bilge pump kicks in, but that leaves 3/4" of water.
The bilge vaccuum takes it down to nothing.
It's a whale gulper with 1/2" pipe

Jul 19, 2010
Hunter 33 Marina Del Rey
Yes, I agree.
I actually have a pump called my "bilge vacuum, it is a separate pump which has a hose which goes to dead bottom.
When I wash my bilge occasionally, the bilge pump kicks in, but that leaves 3/4" of water.
The bilge vaccuum takes it down to nothing.
It's a whale gulper with 1/2" pipe
When you get a second, can you post a picture of how you have the pump installed. Do you use the Gulper 220?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
When you get a second, can you post a picture of how you have the pump installed. Do you use the Gulper 220?
Yes, i use the gulper. I actually use new
I use the gulper 320. Basically same pump.
Just run a 1/2" plastic pipe straight down to the bilge floor
I used to have another pump, but it needed a strainer, and it was always clogging. The gulper can pass through chopped up rags., No need for strainer.
I still have my main rule bilge pump, plus a 1200!gpm high water ("oh shit!!) pump with alarm at the engine Panel. Plus a manual Whale pump.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
With that kind of boat investment and the potential for big mold and mildew problems I would look at a smallish A/C system with dehumidification cycle. 8-10k BTU. Program it to run extra cycles until you get the humidity under control. It will include a condensate pan, add a mermaid condensator to pull the condensate out to the raw water discharge.