Deck to mast electrical connection

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Another question on this topic. I purchased the metal four-pin connector and have hooked up the mast end. I unscrewed the deck part and gently pulled on it to get to the wires but it was very tight. Did not want to pull too hard for fear of breaking wires. Anyone know where this wire runs after it enters the deck?
cec

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
On my boat the 4 wires come out the roof of the cabin via a small hole right under where the mast sit's. I have a support bar right there in the cabin.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Another question on this topic. I purchased the metal four-pin connector and have hooked up the mast end. I unscrewed the deck part and gently pulled on it to get to the wires but it was very tight. Did not want to pull too hard for fear of breaking wires. Anyone know where this wire runs after it enters the deck?
cec
I believe it runs under the deck, almost in a straight line, to the hollow mast support in the cabin. On my 87', you can see the wires exiting the support and heading that way.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
So appended is a pic of the mast support in the cabin, looking up. There is this plastic block screwed over the post with 4 ca. 1.5" screws, which seems pretty long to me so I stopped short of removing it just in case it is doing something else besides affixing the block. I presume that this is where the wires pass and go up through the deck to the 3-pin connector for the mast lights? Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Would hate to remove the block and have it do something much more than just hide the wires ....
IMG_2199.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
That looks like a totally different set-up than my 1987. I'd think it would be okay to remove the white plastic block though - I can't imagine the plastic is structural to anything. I do believe the mast wires run up through the metal pole regardless, so there must be some access to them. If you look up, from under the sink area, you should be able to see the mast wire entering the bottom of the pole there.

Mar 2, 2018
My original deck plug was a crappy male/ female plug from CD, next I refit two months ago with what I thought was a better quality chrome Sea Dog connector only to find it is such a bad design the wires came loose and shorted out the system.
So my next plan is to try what appears to be a better design from 12V Tech in Montery CA. This is a male /Female waterproof connector with SODERED ON connections for bolt sides which means no more wires coming loose. I am also installing a Deck Clam for the waring harness to daylight above the deck.
Heres a photo of my deck mast base area with electrical hole. I am repairing 30 years of screw wholes and layied in a 3/4" piece of PVC as a mold to create a new clean hole for the wiring harness. Once the gelcoat is hard I will slip the PVC pipe out, sand the hole smooth and re-gelcoat the entire area for a new smooth finish.

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Not sure about Noalox. It is specifically made for aluminum wire. Noalox = No Aluminum Oxide. Typical application calls for wire brushing aluminum wire before applying Noalox. Used mostly in construction for power wiring with aluminum wire.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
The spacer was in a 2 pack found in the cable tv installation aisle, used to cover up holes in drywall or vinyl siding when you put a cable wire through.

Mar 2, 2018
Finished the gelcoat repair and rebed the mast base today. Just have to wait for the adhesive to dry until tomorrow then I can crank down in the bolts and polish the finish. Next week the parts come to rewire the deck connectors.

Attachments

Mar 2, 2018
Almost finished rewiring everything. Mast plug is finished and so is the cable clam and new pig tail. I am just waiting for a piece of 1 1/4" shrink tubing to seal up the bottom of the deck plug. All the lights are working again.
The big coil of wires is my extension cord to be able to check the connections while the mast is down. The bottom photo is of the plug that will be hardwired to the deck pigtail

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Almost finished rewiring everything. Mast plug is finished and so is the cable clam and new pig tail. I am just waiting for a piece of 1 1/4" shrink tubing to seal up the bottom of the deck plug. All the lights are working again.
The big coil of wires is my extension cord to be able to check the connections while the mast is down. The bottom photo is of the plug that will be hardwired to the deck pigtail
Real nice work-

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Dont forget photo of final configuration with mast up, nice to see how thing looks in action. Sailing that is !

Mar 2, 2018
Sorry I haven't done yet. I are head for Catalina next week and will make sure to take the photos.
Thanks!