Deck Sheaves

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Ok so I see there are numerous posts dotted about but here I am opening a new one...

Well here is the issue

I have the Garhauer deck organisers on my 40.5. All the sheaves are in need of replacing, Garhaurer sent me some that do not fit... they do not have any of the old ones nor do they make that size anymore. Frustrating to say the least.

So my options are - replace the organizer with some other brand and have to most likely cut and glass in the fittings for them

Or

Find a sheave manufacturer who will custom make the sizes I need for a small fortune

Or

Over to people who have done it as perhaps I am missing something.

This was the reason my main was always a pain to raise (one of my first posts here I think).... Taken 5 years to spot a dodgy sheave as under load it was warped...

Perhaps I should pop this in the all boats section?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a 40.5 and had some worn sheaves with "flat spots." My organizers are "two tier" and there were a few sheaves that were not in use (and never had been). I simply swapped out the worn ones with the previously unused ones and everything is fine now. I called Garhauer and gave them the dimensions on my worn sheave and they sold me two new ones that supposedly fit. They look exactly the same so unless there is some very small difference it looks like they will work. I haven't tried to install then yet though. I'd talk to someone in Tech Support there rather than sales and see what they say. Have the old one available if you can.

May 13, 2011
Cheers

Already done this with Garhauer tech support before they sent them out - sent them pictures, measurements and spoke to the techs etc. The problem with the new sheaves are that the diameter is slightly larger and as a result you cannot fit them in side by side with enough room for lines and they do not have the original sizes available anymore as mentioned.

May 13, 2011
Cheers Mark
I have looked into this as I mentioned in my first post - seems to be very expensive to get sheaves custom made but I have not tried that specific company so i will drop them a line on the off chance they aren't out of reach $ wise.

May 13, 2011
Know a chap at wests, we spent forever looking in their catalogue but couldn't get close enough for the organizer itself unfortunately.

Reaching out to the other now - thanks!

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Drill out the warped hole and insert a bushing slathered in epoxy.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Check with a local rigger. I replaced worn sheaves on my H31 and they had the materials to make new ones in their shop.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
I have a 40.5 and had some worn sheaves with "flat spots." My organizers are "two tier" and there were a few sheaves that were not in use (and never had been). I simply swapped out the worn ones with the previously unused ones and everything is fine now. I called Garhauer and gave them the dimensions on my worn sheave and they sold me two new ones that supposedly fit. They look exactly the same so unless there is some very small difference it looks like they will work. I haven't tried to install then yet though. I'd talk to someone in Tech Support there rather than sales and see what they say. Have the old one available if you can.

Hi Smokey73 --

How did you remove the coach roof to access the sheaves? Need to do the same.

Thanks
Frederick

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Hi Smokey73 --

How did you remove the coach roof to access the sheaves? Need to do the same.

Thanks
Frederick
Frederick, Later models of 40.5's have a split "hood" I believe. Mine did not but I used a thin kerf saw and cut across the seahood about 2 inches in front of the solar panel. There is nothing below it to cut into so you don't have to worry about that. I fastened a board act as a straight edge for the cut. You have to be very careful at the outboard edges and do that by hand. The newly cut edges will need to be sealed with fiberglass resin since there is a wood core in that area. Then you only have the 4 screws to remove to take off the front of the sea hood. I'll try and get you some pictures later this week when I go to the boat. I think there is some info on this in the 40.5 section of the model info on this site. It really worked out pretty well.

Smokey73

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks Smokey, this is very helpful - mine is an early u model 1993 so would have to do the cut... looking forward to photos when you have a chance. Will also look at the 40.5 section.

Frederick

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Price is always an issue when you need a part that is no longer available. Guess it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. Fix it one time, replace the whole organizer, or patch it together so I can go sailing. It worked before but was a PIA to manage the sail.