Registered users don't see ads

Deck Leaks

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Chris Flanagan, Aug 26, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Chris Flanagan

Chris Flanagan

Joined May 28, 2016
    31 posts, 3 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Douglassville, PA Lake Nockamixon
    I knew when I bought my Hunter their was an issue with rain water finding it's way in and I thought by adding a companionway cover, that the PO lacked, would solve the problem. Although it helped I still have some leaks. One was a small leak on the port side from the windshield/front window which I stopped temporarily with some plumber's putty until I found a permanent solution. Any recommendations for sealing cabin windows?
    My main more significant leaks are on the starboard side where most of the deck hardware is located. The seals on the windows visually appear ok. The water seems to collect near the saloon area over the seats near and where the sanipotty is. I also have another leak on the starboard side over the rear berths that I believe is coming from the teak mounted in cockpit on the stern side.
    I was hoping to visit the boat on a good rainy day in order to better pinpoint the problem sometime over the summer, but despite all the rain this summer hasn't happened, further complicated by my hour drive. In the meantime I keep the cushions dry by storing them in the forward berths, keep lots of damp rid on board and I also installed a solar ventilator to keep the air moving and have been successful in keeping the mold and mildew out. My next plan of attack is to just start to remove and reattach and reseal all the deck hardware? Welcome any suggestion! I'd rather be sailing!

2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,557 posts, 308 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    send me a private message with phone number and I need to ask more questions and then tell you what to do. A lot in the past has been discussed and hands are hurting.

Hunter replacement stanchions
Replace for safety and appearance
Hunter strainers and filters
For engines, gensets, AC, and more.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Cabinet catch for many Hunters
Used on a variety of Hunters from the Legend-era to present. In stock!