DC System Upgrade Questions

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Planning my wiring upgrades for my 93 C30, which includes battery fusing, ACR and a new charger next winter.
Here are a few questions I have about my plans.

1. Currently I have a Pro Mariner 20 two-bank charger. I’ve read in some forums about a Pro Mariner 20 charger, called a “flyback” charger, is prone to catch fire.
Is the one in the photo below one of these flyback chargers or a safety concern?

2. I’ll be putting two group 24 batteries in the battery compartment under the starboard settee. I plan on putting a positive bus bar with 4 ANL fuses on the end wall of the compartment. There is 5” between the end wall of the compartment and the battery box. With the “height” of the ANL fuse block being 1 ½” that leaves 3 ½” clearance. I also plan on installing the ACR next to the positive bus bar and fuses. All are ignition protected.
Any issues with this plan?

3. My aux battery has a 5/16” positive stud. I’ll be fusing that battery with a MRBF fuse. The MRBF terminal block is made to mount on a 3/8” stud.
Is it OK to put the MRBF terminal block on the 5/16” stud?

4. I have a 50A alternator and 20A charger. I know the alternator will most likely not reach its full 50A output.
When I install the ACR, do I select the wire size based on the 50A alternator output, the 20A charger output or somewhere in between, knowing the alt will not actually put out 50A?

5. The alternator looks pretty rough on the connection side with a couple of studs really rusted up (Photo below). Part of the upgrade will be rewiring the Alt Output to the house bank.
Should I include taking it to a shop to be checked out and new studs installed during my upgrades?

Pro Mariner 20.jpg Alternator.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
1. Currently I have a Pro Mariner 20 two-bank charger. I’ve read in some forums about a Pro Mariner 20 charger, called a “flyback” charger, is prone to catch fire.
Is the one in the photo below one of these flyback chargers or a safety concern?
Not sure if this a "flyback" charger. It is an old style ferro-resonant charger. Replacing it with a modern charger, like a Pro Mariner ProNautic or Sterling would make your batteries happier. I pulled a similar one out of my boat a couple of years ago, be careful, those suckers are heavy, mine weighed 35 pounds.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward. The alternator is a critical item in your system. I would take it in have it inspected and serviced. Rust outside likely rust inside.

Wire size should be based on one of the wiring charts. Voltage drop. Amperage. Distance.

The MRBF has a specific stud it fits on. You’ll need to match it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Wire size should be based on one of the wiring charts. Voltage drop. Amperage. Distance.
Hi John,
I've been using the voltage drop calculator and wire size chart on genuinedealz.com. I'm asking about what amperage I should/could use in the calculator. The calculator allows 10AWG for the battery charger with <3% VD. 10AWG ampacity is 60A so that is not an issue.
10AWG at 50A for the ACR gives me a 6.8% drop, 30A gives me a 4.1% VD.
Considering that 95% of my charging will come from the AC charger when in my slip and the aux battery will only be used for emergency start, the VD is probably not an issue?

Dave,
Just trying to delay upgrading the charger until next winter if the current one is safe. It is more about time for projects before launch, my list is long and I need to prioritize.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ward,

Oh how I understand the budget crunch of upgrading a new-to-you boat. My wife cringes whenever the UPS guy drives up.

On wire size, there are a couple of issues as John points out and you understand. I'm pretty sure MS recommends fusing the alternator and ACR at 150% of capacity, so a 50 Amp alternator should be fused at about 75 amps. The fuse should protect the wire thus the wire should be able to handle the 75 amps. The ampacity guide on the Genuine Deals indicates that 6 ga wire in an engine room is rated at 102 amps while the next smaller, 8 ga is rated at 68 amps. The 6 ga will be more than adequate and reduce voltage drop.

Voltage drop in a charging circuit can make a big difference in charging. At 14.8 v a 3% drop will lower the charging voltage to 14.44v. That moves the alternator output from the bulk to absorption charging phase. It is also important to know the alternator output voltage. If the voltage is regulated downward to say, 13.8v, the reduction in charging capacity will be much lower.

In wiring, bigger is usually better. Also, check out waytexwire.com for supplies. Unit costs are among the best I've found, although you often have to purchase a larger quantity and shipping is a bit higher than other suppliers. I've found that for larger purchases it works.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Not a "fry-black" just an antique single-stage battery murderer/boat anchor..

I’ll be putting two group 24 batteries in the battery compartment under the starboard settee.
So, one Group-24 battery for house use & one for start / reserve use? If both G-24's are for house why G-24's when a pair of GC2's are so much more robust, have longer cycle life and have lots more Ah capacity? On many C-30's that box fits GC2's nearly perfectly. Always keep in mind that your usable Ah capacity when away from the dock will be from 50% DOD to about 80-85% SOC or just 30-35% of the battery bank. A typical G-24 "deep cycle" is about 75Ah's so at 30% you're looking at about 22.5 usable Ah's of capacity.

What is a Deep Cycle Battery? (LINK)

I plan on putting a positive bus bar with 4 ANL fuses on the end wall of the compartment. There is 5” between the end wall of the compartment and the battery box. With the “height” of the ANL fuse block being 1 ½” that leaves 3 ½” clearance. I also plan on installing the ACR next to the positive bus bar and fuses. All are ignition protected.
Any issues with this plan?
As long as the batteries are secured properly, no issues. Usually on the other side of that bulkhead there is a nice spot for all that stuff too.

My aux battery has a 5/16” positive stud. I’ll be fusing that battery with a MRBF fuse. The MRBF terminal block is made to mount on a 3/8” stud.
Is it OK to put the MRBF terminal block on the 5/16” stud?

Yes this can be done so long as you use a thick washer on top of the MRBF mount to disperse the load to the battery. Alternatively, if your battery also has lead posts.

I have a 50A alternator and 20A charger. I know the alternator will most likely not reach its full 50A output.
The Blue Sea 7610SI ACR can handle 120A continuously. However if an ACR is installed PROPERLY the ACR will never see any more load than a few amps because all charge sources will feed directly to the house bank, then the ACR only has to pass a few amps to the start battery.

The article below will explain anything you ever wanted to know about ACR/VSR/Combiners:
Making Sense of Automatic Combining Relays / ACR's (LINK)

When I install the ACR, do I select the wire size based on the 50A alternator output, the 20A charger output or somewhere in between, knowing the alt will not actually put out 50A?
It is best to wire the ACR with the same gauge wire your batteries are wired with with. This means minimal to no voltdrop and that the wiring can handle starting surge loads if necessary.

The alternator looks pretty rough on the connection side with a couple of studs really rusted up (Photo below).
Should I include taking it to a shop to be checked out and new studs installed during my upgrades?

At this age it would be a good idea to have it gone through...

Part of the upgrade will be rewiring the Alt Output to the house bank.

Excellent choice also wire your new charger direct to house as well.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Ward, I would size the alternator wire for the Amperage you might plan on putting in there later down the road. That way your only doing the work once.

Mahalo

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
+1 on GC2s. My C30 has 2 GC2s as the main bank and 1 G24 as my reserve bank. GC2s are going to be pretty much the same price as the G24s, but are far superior for use as house batteries.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Not a "fry-black" just an antique single-stage battery murderer/boat anchor..
Sounds like I should move the charger upgrade up on my priority list. Especially when I am using much better batteries than planned.

So, one Group-24 battery for house use & one for start / reserve use? If both G-24's are for house why G-24's when a pair of GC2's are so much more robust, have longer cycle life and have lots more Ah capacity? On many C-30's that box fits GC2's nearly perfectly. Always keep in mind that your usable Ah capacity when away from the dock will be from 50% DOD to about 80-85% SOC or just 30-35% of the battery bank. A typical G-24 "deep cycle" is about 75Ah's so at 30% you're looking at about 22.5 usable Ah's of capacity.
The plan was two Grp24 batteries for the house bank and one Grp 24 battery for the aux bank.
Two Grp 24s would be 150Ah’s. With a target of 30% I would have 45Ahr’s available.

I thought all golf cart batteries were much bigger and I took at look at the GC2s on battery plus.com and see they will fit fine, just like you said. For $50 more than two Grp 24s I can get GC2s at 230Ah’s. Using the 30% target that is 24Ah’s more for the $50. With longer life cycle that is the way I will go.

My energy consumption plan shows about 24Ah’s usage per day of being on the hook. I can’t even imagine me being out for more than 3 days at a time.

I was planning on the Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 20A charger. Will I need to bump it up to 30A for the 230Ah bank? I will be charging overnight so speed of charge isn’t a requirement.

As long as the batteries are secured properly, no issues. Usually on the other side of that bulkhead there is a nice spot for all that stuff too.
Do you mean forward under the settee or aft under the nav station?

However if an ACR is installed PROPERLY the ACR will never see any more load than a few amps because all charge sources will feed directly to the house bank, then the ACR only has to pass a few amps to the start battery.
That’s the plan. The battery selector switch will be a “Use” switch. House bank for all power needs. The aux bank will only be used if the house bank fails.
Which is why I was planning on using the Blue Sea #7601 m-Series ACR which is rated at 65Amps.

Why more than double the amp rating of my largest charge source?

It is best to wire the ACR with the same gauge wire your batteries are wired with with. This means minimal to no voltdrop and that the wiring can handle starting surge loads if necessary.
This I don’t understand. I thought the ACR only combined the batteries during charging after the house bank is fully charged.

At this age it would be a good idea to have it gone through...
I will put it on the list.

Excellent choice also wire your new charger direct to house as well.
Will do.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Ward, one other option to consider, especially if you're going with a set of GC2s for house is to wire your "spare" battery as a starter battery. This schematic shows one version of it. A little more complex, but it gives you the same flexibility, and keeps your house isolated from the starter current draw.
Starter wiring.jpg

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sounds like I should move the charger upgrade up on my priority list. Especially when I am using much better batteries than planned.

Absolutely!

I was planning on the Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 20A charger. Will I need to bump it up to 30A for the 230Ah bank? I will be charging overnight so speed of charge isn’t a requirement.

I like the 30A unit much better due to the output studs actually being studs rather than a dinky little terminal strip. At $275.00 for a 30A charger with temp sensor this is a very hard charger to beat price wise.

Do you mean forward under the settee or aft under the nav station?
Depends upon the boat, I have done it three ways. If you do under the nav table then a teak cover would need to be built, pretty easy though. Often most of this stuff will fit right in the battery compartment as the GC2's leave room. If you ensure that fiberglass compartment is sealed, no holes/screws etc. in the bottom, that will satisfy the battery case/acid containment, issue.

That’s the plan. The battery selector switch will be a “Use” switch. House bank for all power needs. The aux bank will only be used if the house bank fails.
Which is why I was planning on using the Blue Sea #7601 m-Series ACR which is rated at 65Amps.

Why more than double the amp rating of my largest charge source?

For the few dollars more (about $20-25 more) the 7610SI is really a better mouse trap. Dual 3/8" studs vs. 1/4" studs, can even hold an MRBF. I will often do this and place the ACR within 7" of the battery when height is an issue, and use one MRBF to satisfy the ABYC requirement for the house bank over current protection. You're not mounting an MRBF on a dinky little 1/4" stud. The 3/8" terminals on the 7610SI can also work as a bus point for chargers alternators etc... The 7610SI also features SI or start isolation which can be used if or when you decide to make your start battery an actual isolated start bank. The 7610SI is also proven and they are absolutely bullet proof. They even survive stater in-rush when wired incorrectly. The 65A unit is okay, and will work, but for the $20.00 more the 7610SI really makes the 65A model a non-starter for me....

This I don’t understand.
I thought the ACR only combined the batteries during charging after the house bank is fully charged.

Nope not at all.. I don't have time to hit all the points or confusion of ACR's but perhaps can cover a few of them.

The ACR or a VSR or a Combiner are very simple devices yet they myths and misinformation that surround them are endless.

What is an ACR? Simple...

A VOLTAGE ACTIVATED & DEACTIVATED BOTH/PARALLEL SWITCH
or
Automatic Combining Relay
or
Automatic Paralleling Switch
or
Voltage Sensing Relay
or
Combiner (Paralleler)

The term RELAY is just a fancy word for SWITCH

Blue Sea ACR Myths & Misunderstandings

#1 "I don't want a device that can drain my start battery into the house battery." - Myth = False..

The combine/parallel voltages of the Blue Sea ACR are above the full charge resting voltage of a 12V battery. With 13.0V (combine low) or 13.6V (combine high) applied to the battery terminals current can only flow INTO the banks, not out of the banks.

The Blue Sea ACR will combine / parallel the banks at 13.0V after 90 seconds or 13.6V after 30 seconds. Any time the battery terminal voltage is above the batteries SOC voltage, current can only flow in one direction, and that is into the battery. The ACR combine voltage set points are ABOVE the voltage of a fully charged lead acid battery..

The idea that a start battery or house battery can drain into one another, with an ACR, is not possible other than for 10 seconds or 30 seconds maximum. It takes voltage differentials to move current between batteries and the the energy that can move between the batteries in 10 seconds at 12.35V (open low) or 30 seconds at 12.75V (open high) is beyond minuscule.

#2 "I like that it fully charges my XXXXX bank first, then charges the other bank." - Myth = False

This is how an ACR works;

Charge Source ON
>Alternator or other charge source is turned ON
>Battery receiving charge current comes up to 13.0V
>90 Seconds after attaining 13.0V the relay closes & parallels the two banks
> If voltage is rising quickly paralleling takes only 30 seconds at 13.6V
>Batteries remain in parallel until charging is discontinued

You simply can not charge any lead acid battery, even a start battery, in the 30 or 90 seconds time it takes the relay to parallel the banks at 13.0V or 13.6V. Beyond just the 30 or 90 second time constraints, you simply can't charge any lead acid battery to full at 13.0V or 13.6V.

Charge Source OFF
>Alternator or other charge source is turned OFF
>Bank voltage falls/decays back below 12.75V
>After 30 seconds at or below 12.75V the relay opens isolating the two banks.

>If a heavy load is applied (inverter, windlass etc.) and voltage sags to 12.35V the relay opens in 10 seconds.

The full charge voltage of most lead acid batteries is between 12.6V and 12.73V so the ACR opens before any measurable capacity can be taken from the start battery..

#3 "These devices won't last because the relay will chatter." - Myth = False..

The Blue Sea ACR's use time delay logic for both combine and un-combine to avoid "relay chatter". Relay cycling and relay chatter are two different issues. If the ACR is installed incorrectly/backwards, for the application, and the source charge current is low, the relay may open back up, with delay logic, after it has closed. It is important to understand that the Blue Sea relays CAN NOT CHATTER due to the inherent design.. For example; If you connect the charge sources to the start battery first, when it combines with house, the voltage gets sucked back below the combine level, and the relay may open. This is called "relay cycling". RElay cycling only slows house bank charging and relay "chatter" would actually damage the relay. The ACR can not chatter.

The Blue Sea ACR also monitors voltage trends. It does this to help minimize relay cycling. For example if battery voltage sensed at either the A or B terminal should be pulled down to 12.35V or below, the relay logic looks at the voltage trend to determine what action to take. If it does not attain 12.35V within 10 seconds, it unparallels the banks or "opens" the relay. If it detects a voltage rise above 12.35V and then attains 12.75V within 30 seconds it will remain closed and keep the batteries in parallel. If still going down, after 12.35V or lower is detected, it will then open up fairly rapidly (within 10 seconds). If voltage is trending up but it does not attain 12.75V within 30 seconds it will open.

#4 "Charging should originate from the start battery, not house, the ACR instructions say so." - Misunderstanding = Application dependent..

Where the charge sources feed depends entirely upon the installation. Unfortunately Blue Sea is unclear about this in the instructions that come with an ACR. The instructions provided with the ACR are really intended for boats with equal sized banks such as a small center console etc., not for an actual cruising boat. For properly wiring an ACR into a cruising boat you need to dig deep into the Blue Sea tech articles to find the correct installation instructions. The article below shows the correct wiring for ACR to a deep cycling large house bank. Blue Sea Systems Tech Article #527 - Preventing Relay Cycling

Image Courtesy Blue Sea Systems

In almost every installation, on a cruising boat, with disparate sized battery banks, charge source current should feed the house bank first & not the start bank. This prevents relay-cycling because it allows the larger house bank to attain the combine voltage before combining with the much smaller, and almost always nearly fully charged, start battery.

Feeding all charge sources to the house bank also results in faster charging & better voltage sense accuracy of the house bank. When you avoid relay-cycling, the house bank charges faster. With less voltage drop between the charge source and the house battery positive terminal, that comes from not sticking a relay, multiple terminals and two more fuses it is path, the charge performance of the house bank is improved once again.

What tech article #527 does not discuss well enough is relay-cycling with low current charge sources such as solar, wind, small shore chargers or even hydrogen fuel cells.. With low charge current the reality of properly wiring all sources to house first becomes is even more critical. If you were to wire a 50W solar panel to start first, and try to charge a large house bank at 50% DOD, it is going to take a very, very long time to get the two banks to stop relay-cycling and get sufficient energy back into the house bank in order to maintain the combine/parallel parameters. The designed delay logic can work ok for large current sources, such as alternators, but not for small current sources which can't create enough of a voltage trend..

Think about it this way, why continually pass a typical 70A to 400A+ of charging current across the relay, plus multiple terminals, two fuses & multiples more connection points, all creating voltage drop, when you only need to pass a few amps across the relay when it only needs to feed a near full charge and much, much smaller start or reserve bank? By feeding house first the relay is combining with a nearly fully charged start bank that, in most cases, only needs a few amps. The voltage drop when feeding a few amps is minimal to almost none, when compared to forcing all that charge current through the relay, terminals and fuses and then into the deeply discharged house bank.

"But if I feed the house bank first my start battery will never get charged." - Myth = False..

Attaining the combine/parallel voltage, even for AGM batteries, should not take a long time provided you are actually charging the batteries properly (see link below). Low current solar and wind will take slightly longer to attain combine voltage parameters (13.0V for 90 seconds) but your start battery, unless something is wrong, should already most likely be at 97-99% SOC, so a little slower combine time, with alternative energy, still beats a batteries self discharge rate and is a non-issue.

For what it is worth a number of years ago I ran an experiment with a 55HP diesel where the alternator was disabled, on purpose. This was done to figure out how many starts one could achieve off the single G-31 "deep cycle" battery. After starting that motor 42 times, I grew tired and gave up. The next morning the resting voltage of the single G-31 "deep cycle", after starting the motor 42 times, had rebounded to a resting OCV of 12.57V..

How Fast Can an AGM Battery Be Charged (LINK)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

Think about this snap shot if you use or are considering a battery combining relay for charge management and are concerned or have been scared off by one of the many myths surrounding these effective and reliable charge management devices.

The myth goes something like this:
By using a battery combiner, on AGM batteries, and feeding the alternator or battery chargers directly to the house battery bank first, "It will leave your start battery under charged".

If you are practicing good battery management, and have even the minimum suggested charge current for an AGM battery (Lifeline recommends a bare minimum of 20% of Ah capacity or .2C) this is simply a non-issue.

In just 2 minutes of charging, at .2C / 20% of Ah capacity beginning from 50% SOC, the AGM battery voltage is already at the “combine level” for a Blue Sea ACR. Once at 13.0V the relay has a delay of 90 seconds before combining/paralleling the banks. So, from 50% SOC with a .2C charge rate, it will take approx 3:30 for the relay to combine with the start battery and begin charging it. 90 seconds of this 3:30 is a built in timer delay in the ACR logic. In other words in just 2 minutes you're house bank is already at the combine/parallel level if charging at .2C with AGM batteries. Bump the charge current to .25 -.4C (where it really should be for AGM's) and the bank is attaining combine voltage almost instantly. This is whwy Blue Sea incorporates both low (13.0V) and a high (13.6V) combine points, not just 13.6V like some other manufacturers do..

Battery voltage in bulk will rise pretty slowly from the low 13's on but to get to an ACR’s “combine level” is relatively quick and easy, especially if you have your system set up properly. The Echo Charger, Duo Charger and numerous other DC to DC chargers also turn on at similar voltages and those devices require all charge sources to be fed to the house bank in order to work properly.

#6 "If it only knows the voltage of one bank it can't know when to combine and un-combine correctly." - Myth = False..

The current Blue Sea ACR's are "dual-sensing" meaning they sense the voltage of either bank and can combine or un-combine based on either the "A" or "B" terminal voltages and delay logic.

Only some the earliest Blue Sea ACR's (circa early 2000's) such as the CL-Link 7600 or 9112 etc., which were long ago discontinued, could be set up for single bank or dual bank sensing. Some of the earliest models only had a delay on the combine side and would not combine until 13.6V for 30 seconds, and they opened at 12.6V with no or minimal delays. Along the way Blue Sea learned a lot and totally re-vamped the product line with numerous improvements. These older models should not be compared to the significantly improved later models such as the ML-ACR or the 7610SI-ACR etc.. Current ACR's all sense both sides, hence the "dual-sensing".

#7 "My ACR can charge my house bank and then give a start battery profile to my start battery." - Myth = False..

The Blue Sea ACR's do not provide a different charge profile to another bank. This is another ACR myth and I don't know where this really foolish one started? These devices are nothing more than an electronic paralleling switch that combine/parallel banks when charging voltages are present and un-combine when charging voltages are no longer present. The key word here is "parallel". Batteries in parallel are seeing the same voltages minus any slight voltage drop between the banks.

#8 "My ACR can be used as an emergency parallel to start my boat." Misunderstanding = Product specific.

Only the larger and more expensive Blue Sea ML-ACR (ML = Magnetic Latching / relays capable of 500A continuous) can be used as a manually activated parallel switch. The smaller ACR's such as the 7610SI or the m-ACR can not be used for manually paralleling banks. If you have a 7610SI or an m-ACR you will need to keep your manual paralleling battery switch.

"Oh great another piece of gear and another spare to carry." - Misunderstanding - Application

In an adequately wired & engineered cruising vessels DC system any Combiner/VSR/ACR should ideally be a redundant charge directing or charge management device. These devices are intended to eliminate human error or human forgetfulness not to replace a solid wiring foundation.

A failure of an ACR, no matter how rare, only means you now need to manually parallel the banks, with your on-board manual switches. If a vessel can not manually manage charging & bank isolation then the system was not very well designed for cruising use to begin with.

#11 "An ACR can only charge one type of battery and you can't mix chemistries." Misunderstanding = Application specific..

Batteries charge based on a specific float or absorption voltage. They don't care how or why this voltage got to their terminals. As long as any two banks have the same or very similar charge voltages they can be charged via an ACR, regardless of bank type, eg: AGM, GEL or Flooded. The key here is not the "type" but that the bank is seeing the correct float and absorption voltages.

An ACR just parallels banks and thus the same charge voltages are applied to each bank, because they are charging in parallel.. This is really no different than most all so called "smart battery chargers" which feature multiple outputs. If the float voltage requirements are also the same, or very similar, then one charger can feed two different battery types without issue. All batteries should be charged temp compensated.

For example an Odyssey TTPL AGM can be adequately charged at 14.7V & 13.6V and a Trojan flooded bank also be adequately charged at 14.7V & 13.6V. There is no reason an Odyssey TPPL AGM can't be charged as a start battery when the house bank is Trojan flooded.

An ACR is really not any different than a typical "smart battery charger" that has but one charge profile hiding behind two or three outputs. Each of the outputs on a "smart battery charger" are using the same charge profile.

While a smart charger may have outputs for "three-banks" it is still one charger with one single voltage setting used at a time. If voltages of different type banks play well together the banks can be charged via one smart battery charger or via an ACR.

Regardless of whether you have a multi-output charger or an ACR, you can't for example put a GEL battery that needs 14.1V on output #2 and a Trojan that needs 14.8V on output #1 and then set the charger to FLOODED because you will cook the GEL battery. If you set it to GEL then you chronically under charge the Trojan and also ruin it.The ACR is no different in this regard. It will apply the charge source voltage to the bank being charged.

#12 "I have solar and I don't want my banks in parallel while starting or brownouts & damage will occur to my electronics." - Misunderstanding = Product specific/incorrect installation.

With a dedicated start bank and alternative energy the relay may be in parallel when you want to start the motor. Unfortunately we don't want nor need the hosue bank in parallel with start if one intends on an isolated starting battery. No worries the Blue Sea SI feature comes to the rescue. SI = Start Isolation.

A Blue Sea 7610SI is rated at 120A continuous or 210A for 5 minutes but if wired PROPERLY, & most of them are not, the relay is physically opened/disabled during engine cranking. This feature is called SI or "start isolation". A feed from your ignition switch opens the relay, during cranking, thus avoiding passing 300A-600A+ across a 120A continuous rated relay. It also minimizes related voltage transients that can occur cranking, especially in poorly wired systems.

Unfortunately I see the SI feature, an excellent feature, grossly under utilized & largely ignored..