DAVITS...

PMR

Dec 21, 2017
Hunter 33 Ocean Springs
I want to place a davit on my Hunter 33, I would like to know if anyone has comments on what brand, type or suggestions. I have an 8 foot Dyer Dinghey, fiberglass....any help out there?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Suggest you search the archives. There are hundreds of posts on davits and probably equally as many opinions of the "best" brand.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

PMR

Dec 21, 2017
Hunter 33 Ocean Springs
I get what you are saying but putting it up on the bow atop, is quite the pain in the butt and on top of which you can't see. Towing it is fine but then we worry about someone stealing it or the thing bumping and rubbing against the hull when we are anchored (quite annoying).

Feb 11, 2017
Check out Garhauer - we put them on a Catalina 36 and love them. Garhauer will work with you to ensure it is set up properly - all for a reasonable priced davits compared to anyone else

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I agree....towing and foredeck storage suck.
First thing we did when we we committed to installing Kato davits on our C-385 was to reduce dinghy and motor size to reduce weight. We went inflatable and 6 horse.
I am not a fan of having all of that weight/arm/moment hanging off the rear of our boat, but with proper reinforcement of the davits....seems to be ok. Not for offshore though......
PS....love the Katos!!

Last edited:

PMR

Dec 21, 2017
Hunter 33 Ocean Springs
One thing though, this Dyer Dinghy...we didn't realize the worth and reputation of these things. It came with out sailboat and we paid $1.00 for it. It has the sail, electric motor and oars, in perfect condition...I would hate to get rid of it and not use it. something to think about.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I would not get rid of the Dyers but would do my research. I would discuss the details with the davit companies and make a decision based on their recommendations and the vibe you get from them. We carry a 10' inflatable on davits on our 31 and it works very well for us. Davits also make a great place to mount a solar panel.

If you're willing to shop around contact Stainless Steel Outfitters. They produce a quality products and are located in Ontario, so the Canuck buck exchange rate will definitely work in your favor. https://stainlessoutfitters.com/products/marine/

Cheers

Matt

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
To me, (what do I know :^))) ) Seems pretty crazy to hang that much on the back of your H33, PMR.

Have you seen any other Hunter 33 with an 8' dingy on davits?

Kato Marine, in Annapolis has done them. http://www.katomarine.com/image.php?type=sail&img=Hunter33
http://www.katomarine.com/image.php?type=sail&img=Hunter33new

View attachment 144857
Kato, I use these davits on our boat and we have a 10' dinghy with a 9.9 HP motor on them (total weight 220#). Has worked well for a number of years. However, make certain that you get the single piece version of this davit and not the davit with an extension. I have recently modified the Martek davits to allow for the installation of 2 285w solar panels above them (see photo). So far very happy with the install and very solid.

Attachments

Russ O

Aug 31, 2018
Hunter 33 Gig Harbor
Thinking about the same for my H33. Really don’t want the davits hanging off the back but looking into mounting brackets on swim step so dinghy would swing up against the stern when stowed. We have an 8’ hard Kevlar Nisqually. That is pretty light and works well for rowing or with our 2HP Honda OB. I think Weaver mfg. makes some products that may work.
The only concern the dinghy builder had with mounting this way on a sailboat is if when healing the dingy could catch a wave?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The only concern the dinghy builder had with mounting this way on a sailboat is if when healing the dingy could catch a wave?

Stay out of the Waves of Juan Del Fuca, I think the flop it up stowage is vulnerable to green water and strong winds.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have H-36 2007 walk thru transom which we love and never did want Davits and did the the Weaver David swing up dinghy but need to watch out when healing and pain always take off and on motor so got Davits and love them best thing ever easy off and on and leave motor
on the dinghy while cruising.
I have Ocean Davits but check out Garhauer and many boaters likethem and they like them and price.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Garhauer has nice, reasonably priced sailboat davits and will help you determine the mounting brackets you need, including custom. I haven't bought their davits (yet) but they were very helpful building a custom radar mast for Escape.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
I installed the Forespar Nova Davits on my 35.5. Easy to install and they can be removed or folded inward with the pull of a couple of pins. They are sturdy enough to carry my 8' Livingston fiberglass dinghy with a 6hp motor, fuel tank and anchor.