Dauphine Island Race

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
• Not wearing, or inability to access PFDs, was a contributing factor in this event.

Safety Recommendation Summary:
• US Sailing to amend rules to require PFDs to be worn at all times...
I'm going to take issue with this and here is why. Requiring PDFs to be worn at ALL times will result in an eventual lack of enforcement, and lack of application at any time. The rule becomes too intrusive to be effective. On a hot day with winds in the 5 knot region, no one will obey it. However what I would recommend would be for a specific requirement based on conditions. In otherwords, the race sponsors would create an internal policy that states that when winds are predicted to exceed 15 or 20 knots, the race would be a PDF required race. This way the requirement would be race specific, and be more likely to be tolerated and enforced.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Having sailed on the Gulf Coast of Florida for more than 20 years I can attest that the heat and humidity can be quite oppressive in the late spring, summer, and early fall. It is stifling in a drifter. I won't be wearing a life jacket in those conditions on my 31 ft boat. We must wear them in the small boat races (I won't get in the boat without it) and the amount of water sweated out in just a few hours is impressive.
One June day I was foredeck crew on a Catalina 30. We were doing 1nm windward-lewards in 15 knots of wind on a bright sunny day. The temperature was in the mid 90s, as was the humidity. My theory was the race committee were sadists. By the time the spinnaker was hauled down, repacked, and the lines re-run, it was time to set it again. In 2 hrs I drank more than a gallon of water, and passed out on the foredeck due to dehydration. (They thought it was a heart attack. It wasn't until the ambulance got me to the hospital and they took fluid samples did they realize the real problem.) I wasn't wearing a life jacket. I was wearing a manually activated jacket in a belt pack. A jacket would have made it worse.
I've never worn any brand/style of life jacket that could be called comfortable. It the heat-humidity it can be unbearable.