Datamarine S-200DL Depth Sounder Repair

May 21, 2016
PEARSON 303 NEW BERN
I need to replace the light bulb for the back lite used for night illumination. Has anyone replaced the bulb themselves without sending our to be replaced?

Jerry
Windy City - Pearson 303

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have never changed a backlight but I have taken a couple of the Datamarine depth display units apart trying to piece together one that would work. They are easy to disassemble. There is a wire ring at the rear of the unit that snaps out of the way allowing the electronics package to be pulled from the rear of the case. If there is a bulb, you should see it somewhere around the led display. Although the backlight could be an integral part of the display and not replaceable.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Contact Steve at DMI marine 774-213-9744 he is awesome he services all the old vintage data marine units and he will be able to tell you if and how to do it. He has been keeping my units run for the past 15 years. Great guy

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I'm sure you checked this, but my asking might save others needless headache: is it possible that someone bumped the "night day" switch on the rear of the instrument?
Is there a remote dimmer?

May 21, 2016
PEARSON 303 NEW BERN
thanks for asking. The switch in the rear of the instrument is still in its night position. Tonight I will turn on my Datamarine digital knotmeter to see if it lights up at night since both have the same electrical connection source. If the knot meter lights up that will confirm the bulb in the depth meter is blown. If both metes do not light up that indicates my wiring to both meters has a break in connection.

Thanks to all who have responded to my problem I appreciate your comments and will keep you all updated.

Jerry

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Just curious, is this the late 70's, early 80's vintage DMI instrument? I had a summer job at a marine electronics place in 1980 and fixed quite a few of these - minor stuff. I was impressed with the quality of the instruments, and the quality of the service documentation.

May 21, 2016
PEARSON 303 NEW BERN
My Pearson 303 was built in 1986 so I would guess the Datamarine instrument is the same year or a year or two older. The no back-lite issue is the first problem I have ever had with the equipment.

Jerry

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Cherubini Bayfield, WI
Contact Steve at DMI marine 774-213-9744 he is awesome he services all the old vintage data marine units and he will be able to tell you if and how to do it. He has been keeping my units run for the past 15 years. Great guy
Spoke with Steve (www.dmimarine.com) this morning, he said he can rebuild my DataMarine S-200DL $250 or a bit more. Three week turn-around, I am good-to-go. I WILL follow up. Thanks again for being there guys.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@JHoward How many places do you post the same query about your "DataMarine S-200DL" problem?
not cool.