Dartmouth Mass

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I might have a chance to hang out in the Dartmouth Mass. area for a little bit this summer. Any local sailors on this forum from that area? I might haul my boat up and test the waters. When I go on active captain it seems like the bays up that way are littered with boats on moorings. Is it really that crowded or did the satellite take a pic on holiday?

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Anything down around the Cape & Islands, it's crowded.
Doesn't mean you wouldn't have fun, just gotta like a lotta people.
If you're thinking of coming up this way, go to Maine.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
rgranger,
You are in for a treat. Buzzards Bay is one of the finest sailing grounds on the east coast.
The harbors are crowded, but there are always transient moorings to be had.
Padanaram is the harbor for Dartmouth. The New Redford yacht club is a big presence. They provide transient moorings and the only launch service in the harbor. Davis and Trip is a fine boatyard if you need any work.
Don't miss a visit to Cuttyhunk and the rest of the Elizabeth Islands. Some of the nicest unspoiled real estate on the east coast.
If you ate not a fan of motoring, you will love Buzzards Bay. The prevailing southwesterly builds in Luke clockwork most every day. It typically dies off each evening to provide a tranquil night at anchor.
I could go on for pages , but I will stop here.

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks guys
I hope it works out.
Sounds heavenly

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Padenarum is a bitch though in a strong SE wind. I’ve been there on a mooring in a 3 foot chop while the wind blew 25+ from SE all night. It was “memorable”.
And don’t get caught trying to beat in a wind-against-current as the Buzzards Bay Chop forms on the ebb tide in the prevailing SE winds.
And watch the granite ledges. Lots of it in the area and would not be a soft grounding.

Edit: but don’t let me discourage you, it’s a great area and I love it. Can’t wait to go back. Like anything else, it helps to know what to watch for to keep things more pleasant.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We love Cuttyhunk Island. The harbor is protected from all directions. We once rode out an 80+ knot microburst there with no issues. Moorings are first come, first served. Don't miss breakfast on the covered porch at the Fisherman's Club, overlooking Vineyard Sound. Walking around the island is like taking a trip back into a quieter, simpler time. There is no launch service, so bring your own dinghy.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm a big fan of Cuttyhunk also. Fresh Lobster and hopefully the ice cream shop opens that night. We love walking that island.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Get there (Cuttyhunk) early or mid week as it is near impossible to pick up a mooring on a weekend. Not much room inside to anchor and outside is loaded with eelgrass. There are a few moorings outside. It is definitely a place that needs to be experienced. Next harbor over from Padanarum is New Bedford. Pope Island Marina should have plenty of transient slips or moorings. Great restaurants and a launch service. Mattapoisett Harbor and Marian Harbors are worth a visit too. Martha's Vineyard is a pretty easy day sail from any of these harbors. Menemsha Bite has a few moorings and decent holding for anchoring. The inner harbor is very limited. See if you can manage Lake Tashmoo in Vineyard sound. Not easy to find by sight so check your charts. Really nice inside but anchoring is getting trickier as the are promoting the growth of eelgrass. Nantucket, Block Island and Newport RI are also make-able in a day.

Jan 19, 2010
This is all great info. An H26 is a swing keel so I might be able to make use of some of these inner "lakes".

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
You've got a swing keel, you're all set for Cuttyhunk and Tashmoo (unless the new restrictions there have eliminated anchoring in Tashmoo).

We've always found room to anchor inside, both, and we draw 4' with our centerboard raised. This is Cuttyhunk's inner anchorage.
Cuttyhunk shoal anchorage 2 (1 of 1).jpg

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
In reviewing your course to the vineyard, there is a great beach to starboared in Quicks Hole. We've anchored there on quiet nights. Depending on the current, you can save yourself time by going through Woods Hole rather than Quicks. It has a fearsome reputation, but it's really not so bad if you pass through with a fair tide or at slack water. Make sure to pick up an Eldridge current book. Indespensible through all these waters.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks for the pic @TomY

Is that your boat in the foreground?
Yes it is. We've spent many pleasant days and nights in that anchorage. Cuttyhunk is one island, I'd like to drag back to Maine.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY On what side of the anchorage do you like to anchor? West? The charts mostly show 1-2 feet outside the dredged area.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
@TomY On what side of the anchorage do you like to anchor? West? The charts mostly show 1-2 feet outside the dredged area.
That is what the chart shows. We find just enough water just outside the moorings on the Southwest edges. Sometimes we're aground, lightly at low tide. The eel grass is so dense that our sounder isn't very accurate. But we've held pretty well in there in some breeze. You want an anchor that will go through the weeds into the sand. But the holding will always be sketchy if a blow is forecast.

Often there are 2 or 3 boats scattered around the Southwest side of the pond, at busy times. But we've had it all to ourselves as well.

We've used moorings before when we couldn't find space. But we find the anchorage so much more private and quiet. Last time we overnighted on the mooring, some bone head ran a generator half the night.

We've sailed many, many miles, inside the pond. It's the best dinghy sailing. Twice, we've been awakened in the middle of the night by the eerie calls of a pack of Coyotes on the wild shore near the boat. They hide during daylight hours in the thick brush of the inner island.

MJ Cuttyhunk.jpg